Free Falling

Back Home

"Shit, I didn't mean...that shouldn't have happened," Travis stuttered stepping away from me.

"But it did," I said quietly.

"Wait, what?"

"Nothing," I said. I had no idea of what was going on in my mind. "I think I'm going to go back to my house for a few days, and I think it would be better if you went back to Maryland."

"Um, okay? You going to be okay?" he sad sounding slightly hurt.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks for coming with me, Travis."

"Its what friends do, right?" he said somewhat smiling.

***

Travis ended up leaving the next day. I really didn't want him to leave, but I knew that I needed time to myself so that I could think about everything.

After he left, I drove to my house which was over an hour drive from Mom and Dad's place. It was weird not having anyone comment on my driving, since that's pretty much what all the guys did if I was behind the wheel in Maryland. Its funny the things you start to miss.

My house wasn't anything too flashy. Nothing like he Pastrana Compound, but it was home. It wasn't that big of a house since it was usually just me or a friend or two. I'm sure that my garage and shop were bigger than the house. I had a small moto track I could practice on in the backyard along with a swimming pool and a half pipe.

I got out of the truck once I pulled into the driveway. Gnarly, my big rottweiler, came running out from somewhere as soon as he heard me.

"How's my good boy?" I said kneeling down. He looked like a big tough, scary dog, but he's really a big softie that loved attention. I rubbed Gnarly's belly as he rolled around in front of me. "Yeah, I missed you too."

Finally, I made my way into the house along with Gnarly following me. The house was a mess, but that was nothing out of the ordinary. With people coming and going all the time, its never easy keeping everything clean. Although, it wouldn't be home without it.

I went upstairs to put my stuff away. I passed one of the spair bedrooms and heard snoring coming from within.I wondered who it was since it was the middle of the day and there were no other cars in the driveway. I pushed the door open. I tried to figure out who was lying on the bed, but all that I could tell that there was a big hump.

"Ugh, what do you want?" he said from beneath the blankets.

"Just wondering who was in my house," I said as I tried to recognize the voice.

"Dylan?" he questioned as he sat up. "What are you doing back?"

"Bam? Why are you here?" I said jumping on the bed.

"I needed to get away for a few days; so I came here and Jeremy let me crash here," he explained laying back down. "What are you doing here? I thought you were going to be at Pastrana's for the next couple of months?"

"Yeah, I'm suppose to be, and my sponsors aren't going to be very happy with me," I said.

"No kidding," he said laughing.

"Not too mention, my parents just died, and with me missing training, I most likely won't be competing in X Games, and I am starting to think that I need to take a break from everything for a while."

"Man, that's rough," he said. " Well, you're welcome to come hang with us in Westchester."

"Thanks Bam," I said smiling. "I'm going to take a shower and try and clear my head." He did the little wave he always does and then pulled the blanket back over his head.

***

After I finished showering, I decided to go outside. Bam was still in his room; so I took Gnarly and went out to the backyard. I climbed up onto the half pipe and stared up at the sky.

In the past two weeks, I had met some amazing people, learned some sweet tricks, found out my parents died, went to their funeral. And then to make things even worse, I think I have feelings for Travis Pastrana, and not just friend type feelings but I really would like to kiss Travis a lot type feelings. I am so screwed up...

"Dylan! What the frick are you doing here?" Jeremy yelled up at me.

"JerBear!" I said sliding down the ramp. I jumped into his arms and gave him the biggest hug. "I've missed you so much."

***

"So you're quitting motocross?" Jeremy asked after I had told him everything that had happen lately.

"Not forever, just a indefinite break from competing," I said.

"When are you going to announce it?"

"There's a race tomorrow so I'll go and get interviewed and then come home and get many angry phone calls for my sponsors."

"I guess if its something that you think you need to do, then they should understand," Jeremy said.

"You always make things sound so easy," I said. "And that's why you're my best friend."

"That can't be the only reason," he said smirking.

"Hey, A-holes," Bam yelled as he walked out of the house with his skateboard in his hands. "Is there anybody who actually uses the ramp for what its for?"

"Since its in my yard, I should be able to use it," I said standing up. I got one of my skateboards from the shop.

All three of us skated until it was dark. It was nice not to have worry about everything for just a little bit.

***

"Here we are with Dylan Johnson," the sports announcer said. "How's it like competing in a male dominated sport?"

"I've grown up with guys so I don't feel out of place when I race against them. Sure, they're stronger, but that just means I have to work harder to kick their butts."

"I heard that you've been training whit Travis Pastrana. What's that been like?"

"It was amazing working with Travis. I only had a couple weeks there because of a family emergency which leads me to an announcement I have. I am going to be taking an indefinite break from competing. I just need a break to straighten things out. So hopefully soon you'll see me out on the track again; but until then I'll just be on the sidelines."
♠ ♠ ♠
So I would really like to know what you guys think. I've only heard from a few people so the rest of you should leave comments.....