Status: In Progress

Heartbeat

Breakaway

We all sat down at the table, taking a seat between Sidney and Lauren. In front of us, there were bowls of fruit, plates of eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles and hasbrowns as well as a smaller plate of toast. Towards the center there were massive bagels on a platter, surrounded by small bowls of lox, cream cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes and capers. Nathalie brought the salt in from the kitchen before she sat down and we all began eating, taking the food on our plates.

“So Lily, what are your plans for the summer?” Nathalie asked, taking a sip of her mimosa. I just shrugged. I didn’t really have anything definite.

“Just enjoy my freedom before next year.” I said, thinking about the impending year. Mario nodded along with his wife to my answer, taking a bite before turning back to me.

“You’re going to Carnegie, right?” he asked and I nodded in affirmation. It wasn’t my school of choice but I didn’t want to leave the only family I had. Half the time I thought I was a coward for my decision and half the time I thought I was just too sentimental. It had never occurred to me what a fine line there is between the two.

“What’s your major?” I heard Sid ask and I was a little surprised it was him who had the question. I felt a sting of jealousy as I glanced at him. He wouldn’t ever have to go through school, go through the rigors of class and college.

“I’m a double major. Journalism and International Studies.” I said with a shrug. Truth be told, I had the least impressive major. But I had a reason behind it. Stupidity being the dominant one. I saw Mario’s brows furrow, but I didn’t say anything. There was no reason to, I knew his concerns and they were the same anyone who knew my family and my story had.

“Alex doesn’t mind?” Nathalie asked and I grinned, shaking my head.

“Nope.” I said and with that, we ended the conversation about my college plans. The kids were getting restless, teasing each other from across the table. I laughed at Lauren and Alexa who were making faces at each other.

“So Sidney, how do you like Pittsburgh so far?” I asked, taking a sip of juice. He just shrugged and smiled.

“I haven’t really gotten a chance to go out and see anything yet. But I’m excited to live here. It’s a lot bigger than Cole Harbour.” He said with a smile and we laughed.

“Lily, weren’t you telling me the other day that you had to go down to Carnegie to get your uniform? Maybe you could give Sid a tour.” Mario suggested coyly and for a second, I could have sworn he and Marc were planning something.

“Yeah sure!” I said with a polite smile. “It’ll be fun. I’m a really good tour guide.”

“We got lost last time you took us all on a tour of Carnegie.” Lauren reminded me and I frowned. She had a point.

“Small detail.” I said and put my napkin down on the table, standing up slowly.

“I have to go fill out some paperwork to drop off at school before I go. And probably change out of my riding clothes. Let’s leave at 2?” I suggested and Sid put down his orange juice, nodding. Nathalie stood up to walk me out to the door and I gave her a hug before walking out.

“Thanks so much, Mrs. Lemieux.” I said before walking out into the bright sunshine.

As I wandered back home, I thought of a few things. Mostly about Sidney, about the fact that it’s only been a day and I’m already developing some strange schoolgirl crush on him. This wasn’t high school anymore, this wasn’t the time for easy summer romances that dissipated with the beginning of the next school year. We were adults now, technically speaking and there would be no next year. He wasn’t just some boy next door, he was on tv and magazines and newspapers. I could actually google him.

I pulled open my front door and ran upstairs, still lost in my train of thoughts. As I sat on the edge of my bathtub, I came to a realization. This was the first time I thought of him as Sidney Crosby, that kid from Canada that had been all over the news for the past week. In fact, I remember watching the news and being more annoyed that they’re covering that instead of Iraq.

My cheeks flushed thinking about that, feeling a little embarrassed to have judged someone as nice as him. I shook it off and grabbed a pair of white denim shorts and a fitted black v-neck and headed into the bathroom to shower and fix my makeup before I had to meet Sidney.
♠ ♠ ♠
Breakaway -- Basement Jaxx