Chronicles of the Apocalypse

Chapter Five...Endings and Beginnings

I was pretty upset about my truck, my dad left it to me after he died and now it's gone. Sadly there isn't much I can do, Im going to keep his rifle and I don't care what anyone says.
My father's name was Erek Sullivan and my mother's was Alice. Both were absolutely bat shit crazy, but...they were my parents, and I miss them dearly. I still remember the last time I saw them, I was only twelve...

"James! Get your fucking ass back in the hatch NOW!" my mothers shrill voice rang. "Y-yes mother!" I was running as hard as I could, night fall was coming and that means the Rukh would get me if I didn't get inside. Then the worst thing that could possibly happen, happened. I tripped and fell, right as thr Rukh lefr their nest. In sheer terror, I searched around me, desperately feeling for the hatch door. Luckily I fell right next to it, as I was closing the door the Rukh attacked, one got inside and bit my arm, tearing off some of the meat on my arm.

Screaming in pain I accidentally let go of the ladder and fell, if it wasn't for my father, I probably would have died from the fall. Even though the Rukh had fallen with me, it still had a hold of my arm. My father warned me "This will hurt boy, but do not worry, I will get this thing off of you" Then he took his knife and stabbed the creature in the skull, causing it to let go of my arm and shriek. I do not remember much about my childhood, but I remember feeling bad for the thing, even though it thought of nothing but eating me. I still felt bad.

"You alright, James?" my father asked. I looked at him, he had a concerned look on his face. "I'm fine father, my arm just hurts." I wasn't lying, but I wasn't telling him the whole truth either. As father was bandaging my arm, he was telling me that I should be more careful and that one never knows what else could possibly happen. "I'm sorry dad, I just was having so much fun with the baby Kraggs that I lost track of time." He glared at me, I was forbidden to be out after the sun made contact with the horizon. "Son, you are going to bed now, you will have a lot of chores to do tomorrow." he declared. I nodded and bit my lip. "Dad, could you tell me one of your old war stories again?" I asked. He asked me which one I wanted to hear. "The one where you and the other SEALS found that man in Iraq who was terrorizing the country." He smiled at that. "Ah, that tale." he remarked, then he began the story. I do not know what it was about whenever he would tell his war tales that captivated me, but they kept my attention. Except for that night, I was so tired I fell asleep right when he was getting to the best part. This was the last peaceful moment I had with my parents...

The next morning I was awoken by the sound of my father's shouting right after an explosion from one of his grenades. Quickly putting on the bulletproof vest my father told me to always wear I grabbed his pistol and slowly climbed out of the hatch. What I saw nothing could prepare me for. I saw my mother, well...what was left of her, from what I could tell, the bandits had raped her and blown off her head. As for my father, he was in the middle of thrusting the knife on the end of his rifle into the stomach of the last bandit. As he pulled the blade out and the bandit fell, another one who was barely alive took his last shot, and got my father in the back. "Father, no!" was all I could say, then I ran to his side. Most people would expect some long speech like they had in the old movies. Not here, my father was dead before he hit the ground, the bullet went through his heart and sternum. I did what he told me I was to do when he died. Search his body for anything I could use. His old watch, his wedding ring, two more rings that mom gave him were in his pocket, as were the keys to his truck. I took his rifle, then went back into the hatch to search for anything I may need. Taking all the ammunition, food, water and a few clothes, including my fathers old trench coat. All I could do was cry...Hey, don't look at me like that, you would too if your parents just died like that.

My trip down memory lane was interrupted when John stopped the truck. "Why did you stop?" I asked. "I saw two crosses and decided to pay my respects to the dead." he responded. I looked at the two crosses and my instantly went wide. Those were the crosses I built fifteen years ago. "Here lies Erek and Alice Suliva-" John started to say, he looked at me about to ask a question I could finish. I nodded and responded "Yeah...we're at my old home..."