For Worse, or For Better?

002

The day she spend with her aunt Mary was the most fun she’d had in the past two years. Her once light brown hair was turned a very light blond, to where it almost looked a shade of white. Her septum piercing, which she had gotten on her fifteenth birthday from her parents, had a new black ring, and her arms were filled with various bags of clothing. She walked through the front door, careful not to drop any of her bags, or even worse, knock over one of her grandmothers knick-knacks she had very close to the door.

She walked slowly down the short hallway to her new room, that had her aunt’s old, cast-ion bed, an old dresser her grandmother kindly painted black, a desk, large bookshelf, as well as cardboard boxes filled with the rest of her belongings. When she staggered through the threshold of her room, Emily dropped the bags at her feet. She wanted to get her room unpacked as quickly as possible. Her school started the previous day, which meant she didn’t have a lot of time. Although unpacking her things would drag on for a few hours, she was glad to be there, no matter what she had to do.

She walked over to the first box she saw and ripped the tape off. Emily had a long way to go, and was sure unpacking would ruin her afternoon.

Three hours and thirty-seven minutes later Emily collapsed onto her newly made bad. She shut her eyes the moment her head touched the soft sheets. It was then only six fifty-seven at night, but she felt as if it was around midnight. Unpacking the boxes and moving the few pieces of furniture around her room exhausted her. She was tired and ready to sleep until the next day when her school started, but an unsuspected knock on her door rung through her room.

The door opened to reveal her grandmother. She was tall, thin, with blond hair and bright blue eyes just like Emily. Her grandmother left the door open about an inch before walking closer to the bed where Emily laid. Emily opened her eyes and sat up on the bed, “Hey, what’s up?” she asked her grandmother.

Her grandmother too a seat on the bed, “So you had fun today?” she asked. Emily nodded her head and grinned. “That’s good. Well, there’s a family next door that around last year’s time. They’re sons are going to you school.”

Emily nodded again while pulling her legs up to her chest, resting her chin on her sweat-pant covered legs.

“Just so you don’t have to ride a bus, their oldest son’s driving you to school,”

“Ok, thanks.”

Her grandma smiled to Emily widely and left her room. Without any hesitation, Emily shut off her lights and crawled into her warm bed. Her eyes closed, hiding her bright blue eyes and then drifted off into a deep sleep.

A bright light filled the inside of her eyelids and the darkness hat consumed her left. Emily groaned, pulling her black sheets over her head to shield her eyes from the new light that filled the room. Sadly, the sheet were ripped off of her body revealing her in her grey sweatpants and black tank top. As out of instinct, her body curled into a fetus position as her arms attempted to cover her eyes.

“Get up!” she heard a voice she didn’t recognize. She responded by groaning again. “Come on!” the person decided it best to shake Emily’s body, yet it didn’t work like the other attempts. “Get your lazy ass up, ore we’re going to be late!” the voice yelled loudly.

“Go away…” Emily mumbled into her pillow, but she was shaken again. Her head lifted from the pillow and her eyes opened to see a boy, who looked about eighteen or nineteen, and two others, who looked around her age. “Who are you?” she asked, looking at her clock, “And why the HELL are you here at four thirty in the morning?”

The two boys around her age sniggered, and the older one just looked amused, “Wake up call. Shower, get dressed, whatever chicks do to get ready.

“Out.” she stated simply before rolling out of her bed.

Quickly, she did her morning duties, and was finished around six o’clock. She sighed while staring at her reflection. Her jeans were black skinny jeans and clung to her legs, her shirt was white, with an ‘Avenged Sevenfold’ logo on the front and on the sleeves. She wore a thick studded belt and her usual clack converses. On to of her head was a black fedora. She carefully slipped the back ring into her septum.

The three guys who’d rudely awaken her before, were all sitting on the sofas in the living room, talking about random things. They were all similarly dressed like her. When she entered to room with her bag slung across her shoulders, all three stood up.

“Alright, let’s go.” the oldest one said.

Emily stood her ground for a moment. As she’d guessed, these were the boys her grandmother was talking about, but they all failed to mention their names. The two youngest ones were headed toward the door, and the oldest followed close behind, but when they all realized that Emily hadn’t moved from her original position they all turned to look.

“You coming?” one of the younger ones asked.

Emily shifted all of her weight onto her left leg and looked at all of the boys skeptically, “I’m not getting into a car with any of you, until you at least tell me your names.”

The oldest looked at her like she was crazy and opened his mouth to say something, but the younger one with black hair answered first, “I’m Jacob! I’m sixteen, just to let you know.”

The other younger one, with black hair and random brown highlights cut off the oldest who was about to speak again, “Uh, I’m Johnny, seventeen,” he stated. “This is my brother,” he added pointed to the pissed-off looking older one.

“David, twenty,” he said annoyed., “Now let’s go, or we’re all going to be late.