Dystopia

16th May 1865

Sweat poured down people's necks and brows as they stood moving from foot to foot. None of them were looking forward to the announcement that they knew was to come. The war had ended quickly after the deaths of the three greatest men in the country. Something that had pleased everyone until they had realized that Edwin Stanton wasn't planning on giving up any of the power that he had accumulated. Since that realization had slowly begun to spread, they had simply been waiting for this day to come.

And come it had.

Edwin Stanton came before them followed by a long parade of soldiers who took positions around him and his grown son, Edwin. His wife and young daughter had died over twenty years before. Their deaths had made a clear impact on the man as far as everyone was concerned. And he had never denied that fact either.

Silence provided the open area with a thick almost echoing property. There was no need to raise a hand for silence, but it was done if for the sake of simple formality. They had grown accustomed to such displays in the short time since Edwin Stanton had taken over the country in its most dire moments, but so many were hoping, praying, that it would end soon even as their lips refused to utter the necessary pleas. However, when words washed over them, it was not from the elder Stanton as they had expected but from his son instead who stood before them fashionably dressed, a pleasant smile adorning his face.

"Gentlemen and ladies. My fellow countrymen. As you all know, my father has worked tirelessly towards ending the abominable uprising from those damned rebels in our Southern states, men and women who our dear President Lincoln worked so hard to show so much kindness to. Instead, they killed him and his two most trusted allies leaving my poor father to take up the flag and to fight for all of us in the name of liberty and unity. And now he has succeeded. For that, we could have been given no greater hero by God himself. He has given to us a Shepard who has willingly and humbly agreed to continue to lead us into this new age of prosperity."

The silence thickened growing into a palpitate mass. None of them had wanted to hear such a thing. But who were they to deny this man? He had power. The soldiers that surrounded the open area and the guard that stood in a line behind him were a clear testament. And the executions nine days before had been a clear sign to all of them that Edwin Stanton would punish those he thought to be necessary whether the law saw them as innocent or not.

"God Bless Commander Stanton!"

No one was sure who gave the first shout, but it was quickly followed by others. No one dared to be too far behind in crying out the words. Who knew what the man would do in response to defiance and it simply was not worth the risk in any of their minds. As long as they kept the peace...how bad could it get?