Status: Complete

Danger Days: The Escape

And this is how it ends

The trans-am was parked out the front of the Zone 2 house, packed with luggage, ready to leave on its final journey to Zone 5. The war against BL/IND had been over for three days, with the draculoids surrendering shortly after Korse’s death; it turned out most of them only worked for him out of fear. It seemed ironic to the group that they were leaving just as the first of the citizens were returning to the towns. The people down the street were hugging their friends hello; they were about to hug theirs goodbye.

Gerard, Frank, Mikey and Ray were heading back to their individual houses in Zone 5. Their own families would be returning over the coming days. Bob, knowing that there would always be a rift between him and his family after they’d given him to BL/IND, had decided to continue living with Lauren; they’d would be each other’s family.

Everyone was now standing outside, saying their goodbyes.

“I’m really going to miss you all,” Lauren said sadly as she stepped back from hugging Ray, the last person in the line before her. Her eyes were wet with tears that were threatening to fall.

“Same here,” Frank said, taking her hand and giving it one final squeeze. He too felt like he was on the verge of tears.

The four men climbed into the trans-am; Gerard behind the wheel. He started the engine and looked around Frank so he could see Lauren and Bob.

“I love you guys,” Lauren sobbed, the tears now falling. Bob draped an arm gently around her shoulders. “Call us when you get home.”

“We will, promise,” Gerard replied on everyone’s behalf. He pulled away from the curb and drove away down the street, taking a right at the end.

Lauren and Bob watched as the trans-am disappeared into the distance; they remained standing outside on the pavement for a few minutes after the car had vanished from view, simply staring out into the expanse of Zone 2, silently hoping that the old battered car would reappear – it didn’t.

They returned to the house and sat together in the living room. The place seemed so empty with just the two of them, and they couldn’t bear to face the kitchen yet without memories of all their group discussions coming back to them. They wondered if it would ever feel like it once did again.

“It’s hard already, isn’t it?” Bob stated.

“Yeah, but they’re going back to their families; this is how it’s meant to be.”

A minute later the phone shrilled loudly into the silence. Lauren pulled herself up from the sofa and headed over to the bureau where the phone sat.

“I’ll answer it,” she said as she walked. “It’s probably another one of those killjoys calling to congratulate you on your victory anyway.”

Bob smiled. “Yeah, everyone wants me.”

Lauren picked up the receiver. “Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Gee.” She grinned enormously just hearing his voice again. ”You said to call when we got home; well, we’re home.”

“What? You only just left...” Just as she said that the front door opened. She stepped out into the hallway and was met with the faces of her four friends. Without hesitation, she ran out to them and threw her arms around as many of them as she could. “Guys!”

Gerard didn’t wait for her to ask the question, he just explained. “We got a couple of streets away and realised that it just didn’t feel right, leaving, so we turned back. Our home is here, in this house, with you and Bob.”

A few minutes later the trans-am was completely unpacked and everyone was seated around the island in the kitchen, cups of coffee in their hands. The way they were at that moment felt so natural; they couldn’t believe that they’d even considered leaving this house and each other. Although they sat in silence for a while, everyone’s minds were swimming with happy thoughts. There was still one unanswered question, though.

“So, the war is over, Korse is dead, and we’re all back here where we belong,” Lauren commented with a smile. “Now what do we do?”

They all thought about the question for a few moments. Gerard was the first to answer.

“We could start a band.”

The room erupted with laughter.

“Yeah, right,” Ray replied, “As if anyone would ever listen to us...”

...The End...
♠ ♠ ♠
I was reluctant to post this chapter... I don't want this to be over, I've so enjoyed writing it and seeing all your comments. But, nevertheless, it is over.

I hope you enjoyed the ending to this story. And now that it's all over, let me know what your favourite part was, your favourite line, your favourite anything about it really - I'd love to know.

I also want to thank the following people for their continued support of this story. The thing I'll miss most about this story is seeing the comments that you lovely people leave me.

~ Cyanide_Moonlight
~ XxbasschickxX
~ x.hannah.x.
~ mcrchic15
~ ImReallyJustasking
~ looser 'n proud
~ killerlithium
~ FallxFromxSky

You readers are truly amazing.

So, for the final time, as always,
I love you all <3