Someone Like You

Prologue

The invitation sitting on the counter of her small kitchen in her small apartment in the city that was anything but small was taunting her. She drank her daily glass of orange juice and tried not to focus on the white lace or the fancy gold script announcing the couple’s engagement, because it was just mocking her. It was laughing in her face, loud and obnoxious like, and it wanted her to know it.

Or so she thought.

Get it together, Riley. It’s a piece of paper, she thought to herself bitterly as she raked her fingers through her fire red hair in frustration.

The invitation itself was doing nothing of the sort. It wasn’t mocking her, and it wasn’t laughing in the face of her misery. It was just a piece of paper, and it said nothing more than “You are cordially invited to the wedding of”, which was all the further she had gotten so far. She didn’t care to know anymore, or to see his name under hers. Riley had never met this girl, and she didn’t care to ever meet the girl. She didn’t care to have anything to do with the invitation sitting on her counter.

It didn’t matter how much she insisted she didn’t want anything to do with him anymore though, because Riley knew the second her fingers wrapped around that fancy envelope this morning when she got her mail that she would be heading home again.

Riley knew that whether she liked it or not, she would be on a plane home sooner rather than later.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story!
Charlie and I have decided to do this lovely co-write, and we're so excited about it! So subscribe, subscribe, subscribe and comment your little hearts out, and the first official chapter should be up sooner rather than later! :)
xoxox Sonya