Status: Coming along. (:

Kiss, Don't Tell

Chapter One

I stared at myself in the mirror, fidgeting with the hem of one of the silky textured ruffles on my rose colored, backless dress. My rich brown hair hung down in ringlets past my lower ribs, giving my appearance a softer look, although my dark blue eyes were hard to miss: I had traced them with a small bit of blue eyeliner after adding dark brown mascara. It was nothing over the top. Simple, but elegant. That was my style.

Actually, my style was subtle in general, something that wasn’t likely to be achieved in this dress. My best friend, Indi, had chosen it, much to my displeasure. I loved Indi, honestly, but her style differed greatly from mine. She was designer: it didn’t have to be gaudy; it just had to be noticeable. Her closet basically consisted of Gucci and Forever 21. I didn’t really care what it was, as long as it allowed me to dress in comfort while looking feminine, yet modest. My closet leaned more towards the spectrum of Hollister and Bealls. We were best friends and often told we looked like sisters, but when it came to fashion, that was where the similarities ended.

In any case, I regretted sending Indi to the mall alone to shop for our dresses. I would have gone with her, but I’d had a test to study for. I would have ignored my notes, but let’s face it: one more bad grade in Geometry and my parents were going to take my cell phone away. Call me materialistic, but I had to have my daily dose of texting.

I sighed. I wasn’t even sure why I was wasting my time on a Friday night. Dances weren’t really my thing. They never had been, and they never would be. They reminded me too much of high school relationships in general, which to be perfectly honest were mostly about social status, pressure, and sex. It just wasn’t worth it. Unfortunately, I wasn’t given much of a choice. For one reason or another, Derek Pearce wanted me there.

I had always been told by fellow girls in my class that what Derek Pearce wants, Derek Pearce gets. How one teenage boy whom I had known since kindergarten could have so much power over a mere high school was a mystery to me. Well, until today, that was. Now I understood where all of the rumors stemmed from. Aside from the ones that he was a huge player that I should avoid at all costs – those I had understood perfectly. I wasn’t stupid; I had seen all of the girls that he had charmed and seduced, then tossed aside like they were nothing. I wasn’t expecting to be any different.

The difference was that unlike most of the other girls in my high school, airheads and intelligent girls alike, I didn’t want Derek Pearce. It wasn’t that I disliked him, although I had plenty of reason to. I just didn’t hold that revered stare that many others had. No, I’ll admit his charm didn’t work on everyone. There were plenty of girls who hated him, or those who just simply weren’t affected by him.

Those who loathed him were usually the ones who he had used. The girls who acted like he wasn’t the hot god he thought he was.... well, that didn’t ever last long. Derek liked all girls. Easy girls, shy girls, clingy girls; it didn’t matter, as long as the sex was good. The easy ones were used for booty call, the shy ones used for the chase and for the pleasure of breaking their hearts. The clingy ones were the ones he was just plain cruel to, purely for the sadistic pleasure of it. He was, in full sense of the word, the king of the school, just as his older brothers had been. If he said jump, you asked how high.

He could make your life extremely easy for you, or he could turn it into an absolute hell. We were all merely pawns in his chess game. If you were going to stand the heat, though, there was just one thing you always had to keep in mind: never, for one moment, believe that he actually cares or would take mercy on you. Never take anything for granted, because the moment you did, you would be hurt. I had seen it too many times for it not to be true.

Despite all of this, I did not hate him. No, that great privilege was reserved for his best friend. Tyler Matthews was an asshole, and I believed it to my very core. Although he wasn’t the ruthless manwhore Derek was, he was just as bad in other areas. I’d never met someone who could be so mean until I met Tyler, and I honestly still think that if you look up a picture of the devil, you’ll find a picture of an Abercrombie and Fitch model with Tyler Matthew’s face.

I shook my head. No point dwelling on things I can’t control at a time like this. I stalled, trying to think of one more thing to do, but there was nothing. My lip balm was on (although there would be absolutely no kissing from these lips tonight, of that I could assure) which gave my lips their natural coloring but still allowed them a slight glossiness. My eyebrows were plucked, which was a painful experience that I swear I will never again endure unless it’s my wedding, my legs shaved, and my perfume sprayed. I was ready.

I grabbed my clutch and was about to pull my cell phone off of its charger when a knock at my bedroom door sounded. It must be one of my parents or Dakota; for one, they were the only ones who seemed to know how to knock these days (if it were one of my friends, they would have just thrown courtesy to the wind and barged on in, even if I was changing clothes: they really didn’t care) and there was the fact that there weren’t any boys allowed in my room. This appeased me greatly, as not all of my brother’s friends were, shall we say, of honorable character.

I smoothed my dress nervously and slowly walked to my door. Opening it, I smiled, “Hey, Dakota. Come on in.”

Even if Dakota weren’t my only sibling, he’d still be my favorite. He was the best brother anyone could ask for, and I was lucky to have him. Despite the fact that he was popular, he didn’t let it go to his head, something of which I was thankful for. I don’t think I could bear having an asshole for a brother: the constant upkeep of having to find new ways to humiliate him in an attempt to keep him humble would be far too exhausting. Luckily, Dakota was a good brother.

Dakota whistled, and I shoved his shoulder playfully as I grinned up at him. Even at my 5’6” frame, he towered over me by a good seven or eight inches. “Wow, Van, you clean up nicely. If you weren’t my sister, I’d ask you out.”

I rolled my eyes. That was Dakota for you. Even if he had a level head, he was still a guy. “Stop being a perv, ‘Kota. My dress doesn’t even show anything.” And it didn’t. But it also didn’t hide the fact that I did in fact have stuff to show off. I had some nice curves, and although the dress wasn’t promiscuous, it accentuated my features.

Dakota snorted. “It doesn’t really leave much to the imagination, though, now does it?”

“Shut up,” I mumbled as my face heated, and I ducked my head in a futile attempt to hide my flaming cheeks. Dakota grinned easily and ruffled my hair. I swatted his hand away, scowling. Must brothers be so infuriating?

“Anyway, sis, I just wanted to tell you that your date is here. And just so you know, I’ve already warned him that if he does anything inappropriate – and I don’t care if it’s just a hug—"

I groaned at his declaration, although secretly I was relieved. I didn’t want Derek Pearce’s hands anywhere near me. After all, I might get hepatitis. Even so, I kept up the pretense of being a mortified little sister, vexed by her overprotective older brother’s unrelenting endeavors to keep her maidenly and virtuous. “’Kota! Why? What if I want to be devirginized tonight?”

His gaze darkened and he shot me a stern look, letting me know that there was no way on God’s green earth that that was going to happen. “Over my dead body. Savannah, the day I allow you to be touched by that sleaze ball is the day I’ll be rolling over in my grave. Hell, I’d rather you go out on a date with Tyler Matthews!”

I glared at him. “What have we said about speaking that thing’s name in this house, especially my room?”

Dakota held up his hands in surrender, but did not relinquish his gaze. “Look, all I’m saying is that even though Tyler likes you for more than your assets, he wouldn’t dare touch you.”

I glowered at him. “Dakota, what the hell are you talking about? Of course Tyler likes me for more than my assets; I’ve been his personal verbal punching bag since I was five! He better damn like me a great deal after all of the crap I’ve put up with from him!”

“Oh, Savannah,” he sighed, but wouldn’t say much else. He just shook his head, holding me with his piercing green eyes that were filled with what almost seemed like disappointment. I brushed it away, though, because why would he be disappointed with me? “Come on, Derek’s waiting downstairs.”

I nodded slowly, and we exited my room, Dakota close behind me as I made my way down the stair case and into the entrance hall. Waiting for us, or me, rather, were my parents and Derek. I did my best not to grimace with distaste. The self-satisfied smirk on his face was almost too much to bear. Blackmailing me into going with him was bad enough – this was just degrading.

As his eyes trailed over me, looking at me like I was a piece of meat, my stomach turned. I felt like I was going to be sick, and for a moment I felt a surge of loathing towards this boy. I knew there had to be some bigger reason that he wanted me there, I just didn’t really know where I fit into the grand scheme of things. I didn’t buy into the whole ‘I want to get to know you’ crap. Now, if he had said, “I want to get to know your vagina,” that I would have believed, but as for him wanting to get to know me as a person, I called BS.

It didn’t matter. He hadn’t given me much of a choice. It was be there, or watch Indi get hurt. She was in the beginning stages of a relationship with Ashland Tucker, another sophomore our age. I didn’t know him very well because he was only in a few of my classes, but he seemed like a nice kid. They were still in their lovesick puppy phase, where he carried her books around and she went to all of his games, cheering him on. It was rather sickening to watch, but they had a good thing going for them.

I wasn’t going to be the one to ruin that, so I told him I would go with him. Still, when we got into his car, we were going to have a little discussion. In the mean time, though, there was absolutely nothing more I wanted to do than wipe that smarmy grin off of his face. Well, actually, I wanted to throw up before that, but somehow I doubted that would be proper etiquette.

“Savannah,” Derek cooed in a sickly sweet tone, the nauseating smile still tugging on the corners of his mouth as he held his hand out for me to take as I made my way down the last few steps and into the foyer. “How are you?”

Biting back a sarcastic remark, I clenched my teeth together and smiled, feigning politeness. “Very well, thank you. I am so excited; come on, let’s get going!” I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible, preferably before I went all psycho bitch on him in front of my family. I didn’t much feel like having my sanity questioned today.

Grinning like he knew just how much I disliked him in that moment, I released his hand and walked up to my parents. My mom, being the emotional woman she is, was blinking away tears when I leaned forward to give her a hug. “Oh, mom,” I sighed. It was the Valentine’s Day dance, not Senior Prom. But, that was mom for you.

I stood on my tiptoes and kissed my father on the cheek. I had always been much more of a daddy’s girl, and my father had gotten me through some of my most difficult years, from pre-teen heartache to backstabbing friends at school. Even in his busiest moments, he was always there when I needed him. He wanted to hear what I had to say. Giving him a genuine smile, I whispered in his ear, “I love you, daddy.”

I turned to my brother and gave him a hug. Out of the two of us, he was most definitely the more intelligent one. Or at least, he was staying home tonight. I actually kind of wished he was coming. Normally he would have, to keep an eye on me if nothing else, but he said that there wasn’t anyone he felt like asking. Really, though, I think mom and dad had made him stay home to keep him from scaring away any boy who tried to ask me to dance.

I had my purse, I had said my goodbyes, and I was ready. Derek offered me an arm, which I gracefully accepted, even though every sensory gland in my body was protesting vehemently against doing so. My stomach was churning with the desire to heave, but I swallowed the bile that rose in my throat and stepped out the door with him. The moment it shut behind us was the one where I realized just what I had somehow gotten myself into. It was also where Derek revealed that he was hell-bent on irritating me to no end.

“You sure took long enough,” he commented, and the sound of his voice grated on my nerves. God, he was annoying! I shot him a glare and ignored his comment. I just wanted this night to be over already. It was only eight and already I wanted to slap him, and believe me when I say that I am a girl who is not usually prone to violence and who frowns upon those of the female population who constantly act like they have a right to smack boys around as if they’re dogs.

At this moment, though, he was really pissing me off, and I would have loved to show him just who he was seemingly intent on messing with. Unfortunately, I had to act like I was a “lady”. Hell, but it was going to be a long night.

Walking down the pathway, my right arm still resting on the inside of his left, he dug his car keys out of his right pocket and pressed a button on them. A loud beep sounded, and car lights flashed. There, sitting in our driveway, had to be the most hideous car I had ever seen. I’m sorry, I don’t care if it’s high end: if it looks like something girls with dogs (I use the term dogs loosely: I personally think these “dogs” are rats that got thrown in a hair salon and blow-dried) would drive with the top down all throughout Miami, it should have a huge, flashing sign over it saying, “DON’T BUY UNLESS YOU’RE BLOND AND FEMALE.”

Derek had a smug look on his face, and he seemed to be waiting for me to say something. Like what? I wondered. Nice Grand Prix? Wait, that was a race track. I think. Crap. I was a girl, and my interests lied in subjects that differed greatly from automobiles. In any case, his car was this hideous yellow color. It surprised me, as Derek seemed to be one for cars that were flashy, sleek and red. Honestly, I would have preferred one of those to this monstrosity. This was just something else.

I didn’t say anything, and the silence stretched on. It wasn’t awkward, it was just there. I climbed inside the passenger side of his car and shut the door as he started the ignition. The engine roared to life and he revved it, then slammed on the gas pedal. My heart leapt in my throat. I would have hit him, but he would probably have crashed. “Slow the hell down, Derek!”

He laughed evilly and did as I asked, but was still going just over the speed limit. My heart rate returned to a somewhat normal pace, but I could still hear through the blood that was roaring in my ears. I splayed my hand across my chest, and turned to give him a look that could kill, “You asshole! You could have gotten us wrapped around the trunk of a tree or worse!”

He just smirked, his fingers drumming lightly on the top of the steering wheel. “Sorry, babe, I was just making sure you were alive, there. I wouldn’t want my date to be so exhausted she couldn’t stand... yet.”

His voice sent shivers up my spine, and not the good kind. Waves of repulsion washed over me, and I snapped my head towards him and glared. “You are disgusting. I don’t even know why you wanted me here, Derek. It sure as hell wasn’t because you wanted to get to know me, and we both know that I am not sleeping with you tonight, or any other.” I crossed my arms over my chest defiantly, infuriated by the leer that only seemed to grow larger as I continued. “And don’t go getting it into your head that I’m one of those shy girls and am just playing hard-to-get when I secretly think you’re cute because I’m not. To me you are a despicable, lowlife scumbag who in the social hierarchy of my life ranks below an amoeba. So do us both a favor by cutting the crap and tell me what I’m doing here.”

Derek just continued to smile in that predatory way of his, never once glancing over at me. Well, at least he was somewhat of a conscientious driver, even if he was an asshole who went far over the speed limit. “Ooh, feisty. I like that,” he winked, and I shuddered.

My skin felt icy and every one of my instincts was screaming at me to get away. I gritted my teeth and bit my lip harshly to keep from saying anything else that he would misconstrue, but then I tasted blood in my mouth. Gross. “Just shut up and drive,” I grumbled.

He laughed, and the sound, for whatever reason, reminded me of Barney on crack. “Whatever you say, baby. I agree, there are much better uses for our mouths.”

I almost threw up right there. I would have, but I figured he’d probably make me pay for the cleaning bill, so I swallowed my gag reflex. “My name is not ‘baby’, ‘babe’, or any other derogatory, condescending term you may have for me, and if you don’t know what those words mean, as they aren’t likely in your limited vocabulary, I suggest you buy a dictionary. Now keep your eyes on the road, your hands to yourself, and that in your pants, and we can endure the rest of this ride in tranquility.”

With that, I reached forward and smacked the button on the dashboard to turn on the radio. Some annoying song came on and I grimaced with loathing. He would listen to that. I turned the dial and started flipping through the stations. A noise of protest sounded from Derek, but one sharp look and he shut up. Finally. I eventually settled on a rock and alternative station that luckily didn’t have too many commercials.

The rest of the drive was mercifully silent.

A little more than a half hour later, we pulled into a parking lot at the school. The sign above the entrance building that read Keaton P. Grayson High School was lit up, glowing as it always did, and Derek escorted me inside. There was a short line, but nothing major: the dance had started fifteen minutes ago, and since tickets had been sold days prior to the dance, most of the kids had already been past the admissions desk and were now in the cafeteria where the dance was being held.

We checked in and stepped through the doorway. Lights were flashing, streamers were hanging from the doorways, banners with cheesy valentine card sayings covered the walls, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many balloons in my life. Red, pink, and white, they littered the ceiling, and I wondered just how long it would take before the helium in them eventually started to seep out. Oh, the janitors were so not going to be happy. Student council didn’t really think that one through, I mused. There was a disgusting pop song blaring over the sound of chattering students, whining about there being one less lonely girl or whatever. Either way, my ears felt like bleeding. This was absolute purgatory.

“Come on, let’s dance,” Derek spoke, breaking the silence between us that I had been enjoying.

My head snapped towards him, and I spoke flatly. “What?” As far as I knew, dancing had been on our agenda tonight, but not together. The thought of his hands on me – even his position of just escorting me was repulsive – sent me reeling, and I took a large step away from him. “I don’t think so, Derek.”

He put his hands up in a ‘no harm, no foul’ manner, but I wasn’t buying into it. I shook my head fervently, and his eyes flashed dangerously. “Just one dance, Savannah. Don’t make a scene. One dance, and you can go hang out with Indi. Remember Indi, your best friend? I wonder how she and Ash are doing. Maybe we should go ask them?”

I was screwed. He had me, and he knew it. Either dance with him and tolerate the feeling of spiders crawling across your skin, or don’t and have your best friend crushed because you couldn’t suck it up. Neither option was appealing. Damn it, Indigo, I thought. You have no idea how much I am sacrificing for you right now. “Hands stay on my waist and don’t move. Your head stays parallel to mine as all times. No funny business,” I added in a firm voice. This was persecution, I swear, and I wondered just what I had done in one of my past lives to make God hate me this much.

I stepped forward and wrapped my arms tentatively around his neck, doing my best not to touch his skin or hair. My charm bracelet brushed against his shirt collar, and I looked at the dangling charm. A four leaf clover? Really? I wondered sarcastically, because the last thing I was feeling at this moment in time was lucky. Fate sure had a sick sense of humor.

Derek sighed impatiently as his hands stayed firmly on my waist, and my skin crawled. “Could you at least pretend like you’re enjoying this so you don’t make me look bad? I want to get some tonight, and since you’ve made it clear it’s not going to be from you, you could at least do me a favor and help me make my ex-girlfriend jealous. She was always great in bed.”

I laughed cynically, throwing my head back in order to get further away from him, even if it was a microscopic difference. “Wow! You really are that superficial! Let me guess, you broke up with her when she had to go to the clinic for treatment and missed one of your games?”

His eyes widened and the sneer on his face froze. “How did you know about that?”

I stopped, and the blood drained from my face. “Wait, what? That was real? Whoa—I mean, um—”

Just then Derek muttered something under his breath that sounded like, “Thank God, a kindred spirit,” and he waved someone over. I turned to look and—aw, hell! It just had to be Tyler, didn’t it? I swore quietly under my breath. I wasn’t in the mood for Tyler’s crap tonight.

Derek released his hold on me and I stepped to his side. “Hey, man. What, no date?” I almost snorted in disbelief. As opposed to blackmailing a girl to go with you, Der, I think I prefer his method to be honest, I thought, but didn’t say it aloud.

"Nope. The girl I wanted to ask already had one," Tyler looked at me then, his eyes smoldering with an emotion I couldn’t place. He didn’t seem angry, so it couldn’t be that. Well, I suppose he could be pissed I was here with his best friend, but that wasn’t my fault. I didn’t even want to be here, much less with an asshole like Derek.

“Who were you going to ask?” I spoke up. Better warn her and make sure she stays far, far away from him. It may seem cruel to meddle in his personal business, but I wouldn’t subject any girl to having the romantic attentions of the infamous Tyler Matthews. He didn’t answer. My God, was he deaf or something? It was loud in here, but you could still hear your own voice. “Well?”

"Hmm? What did you say?" He asked, sounding dazed. Exasperation gnawed at me. This night was really turning sour quickly. First I have to deal with a guy who thinks with a part of his anatomy that isn’t his brain, and then his best friend who hates me so much he doesn’t think I deserve the respect to be paid attention to during a conversation completely blows me off in the middle of said conversation. I sighed and shook my head. Boys were so stupid.

“I said," I put emphasis on ‘said’ to let him know just how dim-witted I thought he was. “Who were you going to ask?” Dumbass.

"Um, I forget?" He asked helplessly. I rolled my eyes. He must have really not been paying attention. I knew I wasn’t that dull, so it must be him. It didn’t make sense, though: I’d met his parents and they seemed perfectly normal, and his little sister Faye was pretty cool, as well. The only weird one in the family was him. Well, I guess we all have a black sheep in our lines at one time or another, I thought.

“Wow,” I blinked. “Whatever. Come on, Derek, let’s dance,” I said unenthusiastically. The sooner I finished this stupid obligation, the sooner I could get away from Derek and my brain cells would stop dying.

We moved back onto the dance floor, and I leaned into him to make it appear like I was resting my head on his shoulder when really I was whispering insults into his ear. “Your friend is an idiot. I honestly thought you were the stupid one, but that just proved me wrong. Well done.”

The muscles in Derek’s face twitched, but he didn’t say anything. I smirked. Finally, I had the upper hand tonight. A few moments later, the song ended and I sang happily inside. I stepped away from Derek, gave him a little wave, and then sauntered off to where Indi and Ash were standing at the perimeter of the dance floor looking rather bashful and unsure of themselves.

“Hey lovebirds, what’s up?” I smiled cheerfully as they both blushed and continued to coo over them. “Aw, don’t tell me y’all are shy? You are! That’s so cute! And—”

“Shut up, Savannah,” Indi grumbled under her breath, cutting me off. I laughed, the first genuine one since I’d left the house tonight.

“I’m just messing with you, Indigo. You and Ashland make a very adorable couple and I think you’re great together.” I smiled, then turned to Ash. “And Ash, I like you, but if you hurt her, remember that the wrath of a best friend is not forgiving.”

He gulped, but still pulled Indi closer into his side, causing her to blush even more. It was possibly the sweetest thing I’d ever seen. I beamed at them and then wandered off to allow them their privacy. They were the cutest couple out of all the sophomores in our year, and I knew that even though it greatly pained me, I had made the right decision by coming with Derek tonight.

For the rest of the night, I mingled with other friends, flitting about from one group to another. I didn’t do a whole lot of dancing, which was another reason why I hadn’t really wanted to come to the dance. It wasn’t that I was antisocial or anything, because I had a lot of friends. I just had better things to do on a Friday night than go to a dance where I would have to dress up to impress people I didn’t like when my true friends couldn't have cared less what I wore, as long as it was clothing.

Before I knew it, the dance had ended and people were filtering out quickly, most leaving with their special someone. I was looking around for Derek, but couldn’t find him anywhere. I wandered outside, and there were only a few people left out here, either waiting for their parents or making out on the benches. Geez, you couldn’t do us all a favor and save us the sight of seeing that by just walking an extra fifty feet to your car? I thought. Teenagers hyped up on hormones and fruit punch were so despicable, and yet why was this not surprising?

Glancing around, I realized Derek's car was no longer in the parking lot, and fury filled me. That asshole left me. I dug around in my purse. Oh my God. Surely I didn’t—Crap. I did. I had forgotten my cell phone at home. This was just fantastic. I was wearing heels, I was forty-five minutes away from my house, and to top it all off, I had forgotten my cell phone and had no way of transportation. It was official: this night seriously sucked.

I sighed as anger brewed inside me, and started walking home. I was about three minutes into it, just about to turn onto the highway where there was no sidewalk –another wonderful thing to add to tonight’s list— when a car pulled up next to me. A window rolled down, and I walked faster. The car rolled along slowly beside me, and a voice sounded from inside. “Get in the car, Savannah.”

Wait, whoever it was knew my name. That doesn’t mean they’re safe, stupid, a voice inside my head retorted sarcastically. Shut up, I told it. That was it, I was officially insane. I had now resorted to muttering insane ramblings to myself! This night just kept getting better and better. I walked faster, ignoring whoever it was. I heard an aggravated sigh, and a car door slam shut. I started trotting, but when I heard footsteps behind me, I broke out into a run. Fear shot through me, and I blinked away tears. Now was not the time for crying. I had to be strong.

Why did I wear these blasted shoes? What on earth was I thinking? I could barely even walk in them! My breath came in short, panicked gasps. I always had sucked at running, and “keeping calm” in a “situation”. My heel caught on a rock and suddenly I tripped forward. Oh, God, please don’t damage the dress, please don’t—

Arms caught me around my waist, lifting me bodily before I could fall. Terror consumed me, and I screamed loudly and started thrashing wildly, flinging my arms and feet everywhere. “Let me down, let me down! I swear, you can have my money, just let me go you son of a—”

“Savannah, it’s me! Tyler! Relax, it’s just me!” I stopped thrashing and collapsed into him, sobbing. One part of me was extremely pissed that he couldn’t have just said that from the beginning and saved me the panic, but another was rather relieved, although I knew I shouldn’t be. All the same, I was safe, and that’s all that mattered. Safe? What the hell, Savannah? I thought. This was the boy I had been enemies with for more than eleven years. Nothing was going to just suddenly change that.

Tyler’s arms, no longer restraining me, now wrapped around my body in a comforting manner, and he patted my back, hushing me softly. “It’s okay, ‘Vannah. I’ve got you. You’re alright.” I nodded, still crying, but not quite the hysterics I had been in. I threw my hands around his neck, hugging him tightly as I soaked in his warmth, and he set me down gently on my feet.

I wiped my index finger subtly under my eyes, knowing I must look a mess, and shivered. It was almost spring, but it was still only February after all; the nights were still cool. Tyler stepped away from me and with him his warmth. I started to protest until I saw him taking off his jacket. I shook my head gently in objection but was ignored when the jacket came to rest lightly around my shoulders.

“Come on, Savannah. I’ll take you home,” he murmured quietly, and winding his arm around me, he led me to his car. Unlike when Derek touched me, the feel of Tyler’s skin on mine didn’t make me feel sick. Instead, heat blossomed where his fingers ran gently up and down my spine, warming my skin, and I leaned into his touch.

He pulled open the door on the passenger’s side for me and helped me inside, making sure I was buckled securely. After shutting the door softly, he went around to the other side of the vehicle – thank God he had better taste than his friend; this one was at least black, but again, I don’t speak car and driver so I couldn’t tell you the model – and climbed inside. Starting the ignition, he turned on the heater and we sat there in silence for a few minutes, waiting for it to heat up.

Reviewing the events of the night, I felt rather silly. I was so stupid, and I still had no clue why Derek had even wanted me there. He had just left me, deserted. He hadn’t even tried that hard to get me to have sex with him! Not that I would have given in, ever, but usually he liked a chase. I sighed. All of my beliefs that had existed prior to this night were crumbling at my feet, and I had no idea how to deal with them. My head was swimming. I was so confused.

By this time the car was much warmer, although I was still shivering. Tyler had started driving, and the scenery passed in a blur of dim shadows that hid the night and looming trees without leaves that covered the land on either side of the highway as the glare of the headlights cut through the darkness. Periodically, he would glance over at me, but his gaze would always shift back towards the long stretch of road.

“Are you still cold?” He asked lowly, and I shook my head.

“No, I’m fine,” I spoke softly, and leaned my head against the seat, my face angled towards him. “Thank you.”

He nodded, and he seemed to be weighing his words carefully. “You mind telling me what happened?”

I studied him. He seemed sincere, and I owed him an explanation anyway. He was taking me home, after all, even though I was fairly sure his house was in the other direction of the school. I sighed. “There isn’t much to tell. I came here with Derek because, well, you know why. I wasn’t really given much of a choice. Anyway, he drove me here, and we danced. I fulfilled my obligation, we separated, and I haven’t seen him since. He just,” I paused. “Left, I guess. He said he was going to try to hook up with his ex-girlfriend. I didn’t mind. Better her than me.”

I watched him as I said this, and his expression was furrowed in absolute confusion, though there was annoyance there, too. I shrank in my seat, unsure of what I’d said to make him angry. “What do you mean, you ‘weren’t given much of a choice’? I thought he asked you,” Tyler said grimly, glancing over at me once more. His blue eyes flashed as they met mine.

I shrugged, yawning quietly. “Not really. He just told me to come with him or he’d make sure Indi and Ash broke up. I figured I could endure one night of utter hell with that loser rather than have my best friend’s heart broken. And he wasn’t that bad. I mean, he’s a real piece of work, and I wish he hadn’t just left me there, but I’m alright. And besides,” I added, closing my eyes as a wave of fatigue swept over me. “Indigo and Ashland are the cutest couple ever. It was worth it, Tyler.”

I didn’t hear a reply, so I’m not really sure whether he answered or if he was mulling over the information I had given him in his head. All I knew next was the feeling of comfort and security as I snuggled into the warmth of his jacket, and the events of the night faded away. I felt safe, and that was all that mattered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoo! After two days of constant writing, it's finally complete!!! So although I know it's littered with grammatical errors, I am extremely proud of it. Steal and you die. Clear? Good. I love y'all so much! Have a great spring break!

xoxo Jess & Alyssa

Her dress, but her hair was down:

Image