Status: Coming along. (:

Kiss, Don't Tell

Chapter Two

It was almost time for the dance. I put on my tux, fixed my hair and headed downstairs. My mom was in the living room.

"Hi honey, oh you look so handsome! Just wait till Savannah sees you!"

"Mom," I grumbled, "I don't like Savannah."

"Oh, okay Tyler," She said sarcastically. "I think everyone knows that you've liked her ever since kindergarten!"

"Yeah, everyone but her," I said quietly.

"What was that, sweetie?" She asked.

"Nothing mom, I'm leaving now," I said.

"Alright honey, have fun at the dance," She winked.

I walked outside and got in the car, started it up, and drove. When I arrived at the school, music was blasting, lights were flashing and there were pink and red streamers and balloons everywhere. Well, here goes, I thought as I walked in the school. Then I saw her. There she was standing on the dance floor, her beautiful, chocolate brown hair shining under the light of the disco ball. Her long, elegant, red dress looked amazing on her slim, hour-glass figure. She was most definitely the most beautiful girl I'd even seen. And yet, there she was with her date, my best friend, Derek Pearce. I didn't realize I was staring until Derek waved me over.

"Hey man, what, no date?" Derek asked.

"No. The girl I wanted to ask already had one," I replied. Savannah looked at me with her big, deep blue, sparkly eyes. I was lost in them, they were so beautiful; it was hard to tear your eyes away.

"Well?" Savannah asked, puzzled.

"Hmm? What did you say?" I said stupidly.

She sighed, "I said, who were you going to ask?"

"Umm, I forget?" I replied.

"Wow," She replied. "Whatever, come on, Derek, let's dance!" With that, they moved to the dance floor, and I was feeling stupider than ever. I sat by the refreshment table and watched them dance, feeling envious. They looked like they were having a great time, him with his hands on her waist holding her close, and her head resting on his shoulder. But after that song ended, Savannah went over to see a few friends, and Derek went over to a group of people.

I looked over to see Savannah chatting with a few people, but when I looked at Derek, he was all over this blonde bimbo named Tiana. I looked back at Savannah to see if she was noticing this happening. But she was turned around drinking punch and talking. When I looked back at Derek, he and Tiana were now making out and feeling each other up in the corner. This went on for another 30 seconds before I finally reacted. That's it! I thought. I need to do something about this! I walked up to Derek and Tiana.

"Hey, man! What the hell are you doing?" I exclaimed, and Derek separated himself from Tiana.

"Man, I'm just trying to have a good time here!"

"Who is this slut anyways!? Oh yeah, she's your ex-girlfriend! You're here with Savannah, remember!? She's your date!" I yelled.

"Back off, man! She's not a slut!" Derek roared as he threw a punch that landed on my cheekbone. I threw one back that hit him in the chin. Before our brawl got any worse, Tiana started whining.

"Der, stop it. Let's get out of here." She said in what she thought was a seductive tone, but really just sounded like an epileptic cat having a seizure.

"Hell, yeah!" Derek shoved me one last time, then grabbed Tiana around the waist, and left the school. The dance was ending and people starting leaving. I looked around for Savannah and Derek, but couldn’t find them anywhere, so I walked to the parking lot and started out on the highway.

However, a few minutes into the drive, I saw someone walking along the side of the highway. As I peered closer, I realized it was Savannah. Fury filled me and I pulled over next to her and rolled down my window. “Get in the car, Savannah.”

She paused, but kept walking, at a faster pace this time. I sighed, exasperated. She always was stubborn, and I knew she hated me, but she’d have to be crazy to try to walk home at this night looking as beautiful as she did. I climbed out of the car and slammed my door, chasing after her. She started running and I easily caught up with her. In her panic she stumbled and I caught her around the waist. She started hitting me while she screamed and I flinched. Damn, she can hit hard.

“Savannah, it’s me! Tyler! Relax, it’s just me!” I shouted, and she collapsed into me, sobbing. I wrapped my arms around her as she shivered into my embrace, and I felt my gaze soften. Nothing felt more right than it did in this moment; just me and her. I loved her, more than she’d ever know. I wasn’t going to push her away when she needed me the most, no matter what had gone down between us in the past. “It’s okay, ‘Vannah. I’ve got you. You’re alright.” I murmured softly, rubbing her back as I set her down gently on the balls of her feet.

She shivered and I almost hit myself, realizing I should have given her my jacket moments ago. She must be freezing. I stepped away from her momentarily and she started to protest, which sent a burst of pride shoot through me, but I quickly squashed it and berated myself as I shrugged out of my coat. She shook her head once she realized what I was doing, but I ignored her. She needed it far more than I did, and I placed the jacket gently around her shoulders.

“Come on, Savannah. I’ll take you home,” I said softly. I decided to put my arm around her and hoped she wouldn’t object as I led her to my car. By some grace of God, she accepted it, and I adjusted my grip into an unmistakable possessive gesture. Mine, I thought. Or at least, I wanted her to be. I helped her inside and then went around to the driver’s side of the car and climbed in. I started up the engine and turned on the heater. We sat there in silence for a few minutes, neither of us really saying a word. I really wanted to ask what had happened, but I decided not to. I didn’t want to push her; she had been through enough tonight.

We talked as I drove her home. She angrily explained how he had coerced her into going with him, but how it was worth it seeing her best friend happy. I was thoroughly pissed off with my complete bonehead of a best friend, but I didn’t want to frighten her anymore after what she’d been through, so I did my best to keep my emotions in check.

After ten minutes of driving, she was quiet. I looked over, and she was sound asleep. She deserves so much better than Derek! I would make her feel like a princess, I would treat her like she was the most amazing person ever. I would be so much better for her, I thought.

As we pulled into her driveway, I debated whether to wake her up or not, but she'd had a rough night and she looked peaceful. So, I got out of the car, went around to her side, opened the door and picked her up. I walked as smoothly as I could to her front door so I didn't wake her. Her mother opened the door for me.

"You can take her up to her room, Tyler," she whispered. I nodded as I carried Savannah up the stairs. As I lay her in her bed, she began to squirm. I held my breath as I thought she was waking up, but she then went back to sleeping heavily. I pulled the covers on her and as I turned to leave her room, I heard a muffled sound. I moved the blankets from her mouth, to hear what she was saying. A minute passed, but she said nothing more. So I decided just to leave. I was just about to walk out the door when she began to talk in her sleep.

"T-tyler," she mumbled, “I--”she cut off before she finished. I sighed, and quietly walked back to her bed. Without hesitation, I bent down and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. She smiled and rolled over on her side. I looked at her for another minute before exiting her room, and heading downstairs. Mr. and Mrs. Hudson were sitting in the kitchen.

"Tyler, would you come join us please?" Mrs. Hudson asked. I walked over nervously.

"Would you mind telling us why you had to bring Sav home, instead of this Derek lad?" Mr. Hudson asked. I explained the whole evening to them. How they had been dancing, how Derek had ditched her for Tiana, and how I offered her a ride home.

"Tyler, you are a very nice young man. We would just like to thank you for looking out for Sav, and for bringing our baby home safe and sound." Mrs. Hudson said.

"No problem, I better get home though. See you later, Mr. and Mrs. Hudson," I said.

"Good night Tyler," Mrs. Hudson said.

"Thanks again, lad," Mr. Hudson concluded.

I got into my car and began the drive home, thinking of Savannah. How beautiful she looked, how upset she had been, how peaceful she looked while she was sleeping, how she'd said my name in her sleep, and how she smiled when I kissed her. When I got home, I crept up to my room, changed out of my tux and got in my bed. I fell asleep thinking of Savannah, yet again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, this one's from Lyss! (: