Status: updates every week

The Unseen

Chapter One

I was in a dead stare without realizing it until something off in the back of my clouded mind broke the bitter silence. A serene voice spoke my name. I thought I recognized it for a moment but in the end I came to the conclusion that I really didn’t. The unknown scared me. I tried to answer back to it but the fog sitting in my mind vanished and I was back to reality...

My room was dark, and the apartment I lived in was empty. The feeling of loneliness clung to my heart as I picked up the phone and dialed his number. The dial tone seemed to take forever, but when he answered the loneliness in my heart fled.

“Raven?” He asked with a scratchy voice.

“Did I wake you?” I countered, feeling stupid for calling so late.

“No, not at all,” he replied. “What’s up?”

“I can’t sleep.” I answered, but leaving out the part that there was actually a lot on my mind.

“Would you meet me?”

“Sure,” he said without hesitation. “Where did you want to meet?”

“I’ll walk to your place,” I said, not believing that I hadn’t woke him. At least then he would have time to throw some clothes on.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to start walking too?” He asked with concern in his deep voice.

“I’ll be fine. See you in a few?” I confirmed.

“Yeah, See you in a few,” he replied, and when I heard the sure click of his phone hanging up I jumped off my bed with excitement. One more minute in this apartment and I was sure to go insane.

I tugged my favorite black and gray sweater over my head and threw on my best pair of skinny jeans. Then, walking out of my bedroom, I peered across the living room. The T.V had still been on from earlier. The cartoon network played on mute, so I picked up the remote and clicked the power button. Instantly the room went black and I couldn’t see a thing.

I tried to shuffle across the floor but ended up stubbing my toe on my square dining table. The pain evaded my pinkie toe and brought tears to my eyes. A small scream bubbled at my lips but I managed to swallow it and kept shuffling my way to the front door. Arms outstretched in front of me, I felt for the light switch and flicked it on. Then I bent to my poor toe and rubbed it, and cursed at the silly piece of furniture for being in my way.
Then I shoved my feet into my old runners and killed the lights once again.

***

The night was cold. And the air was crisp. So crisp I could feel it run down my throat and into my lungs. I had planned to walk down to the boardwalk with Kurtis, but instantly changed my mind after my fingers began to freeze. It was October, and the nights were no longer warm which I had, for some strange reason, managed to forget.

I looked up through the hair in my face at the road ahead and through the dark I could see a shadowy figure walking towards me. My heartbeat increased when I let my mind decide that I didn’t know who it could be. I clenched my fists and picked up my slow walk into a brisk one. I was determined to pass whoever it was without confrontation, but when I neared the streetlamps made it clear that it wasn’t a stranger at all.

“Raven,” she said with simplicity in her carefree voice. Her skin was ethereal in the dim light of the streetlamp, and she appeared very faded opposed to when it was daylight and she seemed almost solid.

“Nadine?” I asked and looked around to see if anyone else was present. “What are you doing here?” Her expression looked grave, but that could have easily been the light hitting her in the wrong way or me over exaggerating.

“I’ve come to warn you about your friend, Kurtis.” Her voice was almost inaudible that I had to strain just to hear her.

“Is he in danger?” I asked, suddenly frightened.

“No, not yet; just promise me you’ll keep a close eye on him, please.” She didn’t sound scared, but I knew something was wrong, or was going to be wrong. “Are you on your way to see him now?” She asked.

“Yes,” I replied, but still confused at her sudden request. Nadine never appeared on earth unless it was important or unless I called for her.