The Better Comes After the Worse

The Better

Vera’s POV
I tried not to let the panic set in at Lionel’s words which I could not deny. What the hell was Lionel doing here? Our appointment was for seven and it most definitely was not seven!
“What are you going here?” I asked with more composure than I was feeling. I ignored the way my chest constricted at the sight of my daughter in Lionel’s arms, there was just something so sexy about a man holding a child. Evita looked so small and was completely trusting of Lionel. Usually she was slow to warm up to strangers but she had set her fancy and unwavering love on Lionel already. It was a bad thing because after today Lionel would be gone from her life and mine…permanently. This situation was exactly what I had been trying to avoid when I had set the late time to meet Lionel at. I had had no intention of letting Evita’s existence be known to Lionel, I knew that it would wounded him.
“I hurt my hand,” Evita declared, oblivious to the momentous moment.
“Did you sweetheart?” Lionel seemed absorbed in the tiny form he held as he took hold of her small hand and peered at her palm. “Should I kiss it and make it better?”
“Please,” Evita replied with a small smile as she brought her hand to his face. Lionel smiled and kissed it with great exaggeration and fanfare. “Thanks. I am Evita.”
“Lionel.” They were in their own little world and in total understanding with each other.
“I know. Mommy and me watch you on TV.” Evita said didn’t catch the glance Lionel shot me or my blush.
My aunt thankfully cut into a very awkward moment, “Leo! I am disappointed, I haven’t gotten a call or letter and I thought we had made a connection four years ago. I feel like a sack of potato left on the side.”
“Lela.” Lionel chuckled and dipped his head in greeting.
“You really did make your dream come true didn’t you? Last time I saw you no one knew your name and now you are the talk of the world. Everywhere I go I hear Lionel this or Lionel that. I, of course, brag that I am your secret girlfriend.” I loved my aunt but sometimes she could be really embarrassing.
“Can I tell you a secret?” Evita disliked being ignored and swiftly brought Lionel’s attention back to her.
“I would love to hear it,” he answered. She leaned in and cupped her hands to his ears, whispering too low for me to catch the words. Whatever Evita told him made Lionel’s eyes darken and he stared at me with confusion.
“Friends don’t tell so you won’t, right?” Evita looked Lionel deeply in the eyes.
“I promise not to say a word unless you tell me I can,” he vowed seriously to Evita, who was looking at him like a hero. Self-conscious and not liking where this was going I held my hands out for Evita.
“Honey, why don’t we leave Lionel alone? I am sure that he has a lot of things to do.”
“But we just started being friends!” protested Evita clutching Lionel around the neck as he placed a big hand on her back.
Switching tactics I responded with, “What about going to the zoo? You were so happy to go.”
“Lionel can come!” Evita cried brightly.
My stomach dropped, “I don’t think he wants—.”
“Of course I would like to come,” Lionel’s eyes flashed of mischief. “I love the zoo.”
His gaze left no doubt that he was thinking about a certain visit to the zoo in Argentina which had been the location of our first kiss.
“We are not going to see the tigers,” I muttered under my breath but I swore Lionel heard me because he smirked deviously.
He leaned down and lightly put Evita on her feet but she grabbed his hand and then marched to me like a little queen and took my hand with her free one.
Needing support I silently pleaded with my aunt and said, “Let’s go.”
“I am feeling a little dizzy all of a sudden.” My aunt put her hand on her forehead and groaned dramatically. “Would you hate it very much if I skipped this little trip?” YES! I almost screamed. “Thank you so much dears. You have fun you hear!”
My last hope for a person to break the ice fell away as I was tugged forward by my cheerful daughter that had no idea what torment she was bringing to her mother.
*****
Leo’s POV
“You live in France?” I asked Vera as we stopped in front of the monkey cage. Evita laughed at the antics of the monkeys and Vera watched her daughter with joy written across her face. I had always known that Vera would be a good mother but to see her interactions with Evita was so much more amazing to watch. They loved each other very much and were both devoted to making the other happy. I felt like an intruder in their routine but still happy to be part of their family for a day.
“Evita be careful,” Vera warned as Evita mimicked one of the monkeys and jumped onto a ledge while we made our way to the wolves. She then turned to me and saw that I wasn’t going to be deterred from the truth today. “I moved to France a few months before I had Evita. I couldn’t be in Argentina anymore, too many…memories.” She bite her lips awkwardly and then added, “I live in an apartment with my aunt and she helps me take care of Evita when I am working.”
“Are you still designing clothes?” I hoped she was, for some reason I didn’t want her to have given up on her dreams.
She nodded, “I have a little shop at the moment. I am hoping to expand and am going to show at New York fashion week next year.”
“I’m glad.” Which brought up the question as to why she needed my money? Vera was a proud woman and she also had a successful business so what did she need with my dollars?
“Hurry mommy!” yelled Evita was she ran around us in a circle, almost making Vera step on her. She had to veer to the left to avoid her daughter but stumbled. Reflexively I grabbed her around the waist to keep her from falling and brought her into my chest. She placed both of her hands on my chest and they seem to be burning brands on me. Her breath hitched and for a second she let her body mold against mine almost as if she was giving in to a feeling she had been resisting for a long time. The moment passed when Vera shook her head and quickly took a few steps back.
“Lionel look at the white wolf!” Evita squeaked in glee as Vera and I joined her at the cage. I was caught up in her pleasure but I couldn’t help thinking that Vera still had feelings for me…and maybe always had? My mind went a million miles an hour at my discovery and theory but it soon came second to the events unfolding that day. Vera’s stiffness soon disappeared and thanks to Evita’s innocence we were soon all laughing and having the time of our life. We visited all the animals from the reptiles that had Evita seeking my hand for protection to the penguins that had Vera’s musical laugh ringing to Evita being hypnotized by the tigers as Vera’s face turned bright red.
By around five we decided to go souvenir shopping before going to get some food at the court in the zoo. Vera stepped out to go to the bathroom trustingly leaving Evita in my care.
“I want to find you a souvenir so you don’t forget me,” Evita said when we were alone.
“I will never forget you but if you get to pick my souvenir than I will pick yours.” There was no way that I would ever forget this day. It was the happiest and most fulfilling day I had spent in a long time.
“Deal! We should find one for mommy together.”
I smiled as I spotted the perfect thing for Vera.
*****
Vera’s POV
Lionel, Evita, and I were sitting in one of the tables outside with our food since it was such a sunny day. To people walking by we must have looked like the perfect family out for the day instead of the strange and tangled connection we really had to each other. I felt relaxed around Lionel and it felt like when we had just started dating, he knew to pass me the salt without me having to ask and I had ordered him a burger because I knew his tastes. I rebelled against the idea that it felt so right to be together, the three of us acted like a family. I even noticed that Lionel was keeping a close watch over Evita as she played on the floor with the penguin stuffed animal that Lionel had gotten for her. Lionel would have made a great father and I truly wished that Evita had been his.
“Can I ask why you are wearing that horrible t-shirt?” I couldn’t keep a giggle from escaping at the sight of his pink shirt that said ‘Give me a bear hug!’
He looked at me like I was the insane one and looked down at his shirt, “This shirt is beautiful! You must be blind.”
“Yeah mommy, I picked it out for him,” Evita said proudly.
“You have your mother’s great sense of fashion. I think from now on you should just dress me.” Lionel ate some fries and I resisted looking at his lips with great difficulty.
“Aren’t you going to give mommy her present?” Evita asked coming to stand next to me with her arms leaning on my knees.
“I almost forgot.” Lionel reached into his back pocket and held out a small item wrapped into a plastic bag. My heart did a flip as I brushed his fingers while I took the gift and I kept my eyes on the souvenir as I unwrapped it so he wouldn’t see the emotion in my eye. I gasped when it revealed a bracelet with a tiger! I gave Lionel an outraged glare as Evita jumped up and down saying that she had found it and for me to put it on.
“Let me,” Lionel insisted as he took my hand and clipped the bracelet.
I hoped he couldn’t feel my pulse going a million miles an hour as I hissed, “You think you’re so sly getting this bracelet!”
“I didn’t, Evita was the one that insisted we buy it.” I knew he was lying from the twinkle in his eyes and I rolled my own.
“Fine, blame a three year old.” We lapsed into a comfortable silence as we watched Evita chase the birds and try to make them fly.
“Who’s Evita’s father?” Lionel asked suddenly, making me freeze in mid bite.
“E-excuse me?” I let my chicken tender drop on the plate and placed my hands under the table, knowing they were shaking.
“It’s that man that you slept with when you called me isn’t he?” Lionel responded with forced civility.
“Yes…his name was Juan,” I choked out the name, suddenly feeling ill.
“What happened to him?”
“He went away.” A big understatement and evasion of the truth.
“I’m sorry.”
“I’m not.” Lionel’s eyebrows rose in surprise at my statement but I wasn’t about to elaborate on it. Determination flooded his eyes and I braced myself for the coming question, knowing he was about to ask why I had left him. However, he was distracted by something over my shoulder and when I turned I found that there were men in the bushes near us with cameras.
“Shit!” yelled Lionel.
“Is it the paparazzi?” I asked at the same time.
“Come on.” Lionel rushed over to Evita and picked her up effortlessly, turning to me he grabbed my hand in his and we went sprinting down the sidewalk.
“What are we doing?” I yelled as we passed the tiger exhibit.
“Running!”
“Weeeee!” Evita lifted her hands in the air.
“I can see that! Why?” Lionel glanced behind us and I couldn’t help doing the same thing, catching sight of more than a dozen people with camera’s following us.
“This is insane!” I shouted but it turned into a laugh of exhilaration as we both broke out into a dead run, leaving the stumbling mob behind us. Still holding hands we ran out of the zoo, meeting eyes at the burst of speed and the freedom pumping through our veins. Lionel tugged me to the left into a side ally as we slowed down.
“I think we lost them.” Somehow I found myself leaning against a wall with Lionel boxing me in with a hand near my head while the other cradled Evita securely. Lionel wasn’t breath hard for a man that had ran with a little girl in his arms.
I threw my head back and burst into laughter.
“Let’s do that again!” Evita clap her hands.
******
Leo’s POV
The whole taxi ride back to Vera’s hotel I couldn’t get the picture of Vera laughing with such abandonment out of my head. Finally she had acted and looked like the Vera I used to know. She even let me come up to her room to tuck Evita in to bed. I watched as Vera kissed the girl’s head and smile lovingly down at her before approaching.
“I will meet you in the lounge,” she said, realizing that I still had many questions for her.
“Do you have to go?” pouted Evita snuggling close to the stuffed animal I had picked for her. “Can’t you stay forever?”
I chuckled and brushed her hair gently behind her ear, “No sweetheart, I’m sorry.”
“I wish you were my dad. I don’t have one and would really like one,” she confided sadly.
“I wish I could be your dad too.” My god, how that little girl had burrowed her way fast into my heart!
“You’ll come visit me?”
“If your mom allows it.”
“I hope she does.” Evita’s eyes sparkled with love as she replied, “I had the best day ever! And I love you Lionel!”
“I love you too.” My throat tightened so I leaned over and kissed her cheek. “Goodnight Evita.” Before I could straighten she flung her arm around my neck and brought me close so that she could give me a big kiss on the cheek.
“Night! Oh and you can tell mom the secret if you want.”
“Nice seeing you again Lela,” I whispered to Vera’s aunt who was sitting in the corner watching over Evita while I talked to Vera.
“You too sugar buns. Don’t be a stranger and call me anytime.” I smiled and quickly walked out of the room, feeling like I had left most of my heart with Evita.
“I have the divorce papers.” Vera wasted no time when I entered the deserted lounge. She was seated in a sofa chair with papers before her. “All you have to do is sign and you never have to see me again.”
“That’s not what I want.” I knelt in front of her and saw her shoulders sag. “I don’t think it’s what you want either.”
“Lionel please,” she begged not meeting my eye.
“No.” I wasn’t taking bullshit and half-truths anymore. I grasped her chin and made her focus on me. “You know what I think, I think that you never stopped loving me. What I don’t understand is why you left me four years ago.”
“I didn’t deserve you anymore. I wasn’t pure!” She jerked her head from my hand and burst into tears.
“Vera—.”
“Lionel I was raped!”
The world crashed around me.
********
Vera’s POV
The truth that I had wanted to tell him so many times over the years slipped out. I help my hand over my face not wanting to see the pitying look in his eyes or the devastation there. This was exactly why I had kept the secret, I knew that he would never look at me the same way again. Tears slipped down my face endlessly and when Lionel pulled me into his warm arms and his familiar scent enveloped me I let all my emotions out. When I had composed myself somewhat thanks to Lionel’s soothing whispers of safety and love I heard him ask me to tell him about that night. I was hesitant, I had put it past me and hadn’t wanted to dwell on it anymore but I needed to tell him everything. I owed him the whole truth. Lionel sat with his back to the sofa I had been sitting in before cuddling me in his lap.
“I went out to the club one night when you were here. I was so alone and needed the crowd. I met Juan there. He was handsome and nice but I think deep down I knew he was dangerous yet I ignored my shivers and his obvious temper. He walked me home and he invited himself into the house and started kissing me, acting like we were both in love.” I took a deep breath and he squeezed my hand to let me know I wasn’t alone. “He said to forget and we had just one night but I pushed him away from me and told him I wasn’t that kind of person. I said I was married and I wasn’t going to cheat. Juan got angry and pulled me roughly in for a kiss. I fought him as hard as I could Lionel but he was just too strong!” The memory of his hard body pressing me into the floor and his punishing weight on top of me with no way out overwhelmed me but Lionel’s hand running along my back brought me back from the edge.
“The bastard,” Lionel growled.
“Afterwards I didn’t tell anyone but the police. I wanted Juan behind bars so that he couldn’t hurt anyone else. I told you the truth before, he did go away but to prison.”
“Was that why you were scared of Geri? Did he remind you of Juan?”
I blushed and nodded, “He has the same height as Juan and model handsome too.”
“Why didn’t you tell me about him?” Lionel’s voice was hurt that I had kept this secret from him.
“You had your dream before you and I knew that you would have taken time off to be with me. I also didn’t feel like I was worth of you after taking vows and having another man in me even if it was against my will. I didn’t want you to pity me and when I found out I was pregnant with Evita I broke it off with you.” I hiccupped and cupped the back of his neck. “You don’t know how hard it was to let you go.”
“You shouldn’t have let me go.” Lionel accused before asking another question. “Did you always want Evita?”
“I had a moment when I wanted to get an abortion because of the way she had been created and her cruel father but then I realized that I couldn’t blame her for his crimes. It was hard but I knew I could do it. She is the really reason why I was able to get past my rape.” Without her I knew that I would never have let go of that awful night and the damage it had done to me. “I eventually told my parents about what happened and they helped me organize my move to Paris so that I would be away from the place…it had happened in and from Juan. My aunt was asked to help me with Evita and she took me in.” I peeked through my lashes at Lionel and saw him deep in thought. I closed my eyes and leaned my head against his chest just listening to the strong heartbreak of the man I had never stopped loving.
“Do you want to know Evita’s secret?” Lionel said out of nowhere. I nodded and he continued. “She said that you were always sad when you watched me on TV and Evita thought you liked me but didn’t know how to tell me.”
“She’s a smart girl,” I mumbled.
“This still doesn’t explain why you need my money.”
“For Evita, she’s sick.”
“No!” Lionel tensed in fear for my daughter.
“She has Leukemia and needs money for treatment.” My voice broke a little on the words. I hated the thought that my little baby was in danger and I couldn’t take the burden onto me. “I don’t have enough and needed it fast so I thought of yours. I would have paid you back later.”
“Don’t be ridiculous! I will pay everything and I don’t want a penny back.”
“Thank you,” I whispered. Lionel didn’t say anything back just held me. We didn’t move for many more hours as we enjoyed the lie that we were still in the early days of our marriage and the world was not against us.
******
Leo’s POV
“Who the hell is this?” shrieked Antonella storming into my living room in Barcelona a week later. She flung the newspapers on my laps and I knew they were the ones that the paparazzi had taken of my day at the zoo with Vera and Evita. “Are you seeing another woman?!”
Technically she was the other woman since Vera and I were still married. Vera had left for Paris the day after our adventure in the zoo with a check for Evita’s treatment. I had told her that I would contact her with regards to the papers for our separation but I still hadn’t done so. I was stalling because now that I knew the whole truth I didn’t know what to do with it. The chance for me to have my family back was so close but a doubt that Vera would lie to me again, even to protect me, kept me from rushing to her.
“Don’t you love me anymore?” squealed Antonella as she climbed onto my lap and pressed herself against me. “And do you have a daughter that you didn’t tell me about?”
I opened my mouth to tell her Evita wasn’t mine but the words wouldn’t come.
“Lionel?”
“I have to go,” I blurted out swiping her none too gently off my legs and rushing out the door, jumping into my car.
“Lionel! Come back here!” Not a chance, I thought already out of my driveway.
****
Vera’s POV
“You are going to be just fine my love,” I reassured Evita as we waited in the hospital for her to be called for her first day of treatment.
“I’m scared,” Evita clutched the penguin that she had refused to let out of her sight this whole week. “I want Lionel.”
“Oh honey, he’s—.”
“Right here,” came a male voice from behind us. We both turned to find a disheveled Lionel. Evita leaped into his arms in joy and he looked equally happy to see her.
“What are you doing here?” I couldn’t believe my eyes and had to blink a few time to make sure I was not hallucinating.
“I came for my family.” I was like a puddle of goo at his words and when his eyes went black I was lost. He stopped inches from me so that we were toe to toe. “Someone asked me if Evita was my daughter and you know what, I couldn’t say no because she is mine. And you Vera are my wife.”
He wrapped his free arm around my waist while still holding Evita and dipped his head to meet my lips. His first touch was like coming home and I moaned as I parted them in totally surrender. I pressed my body close to Lionel length and tilted my head so that we could kiss deeper. Our kiss ended when our daughter threw her little arms around both our necks.
“I finally have a dad!”
Everything would be alright.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please leave your thoughts!
Did you see all that coming?