Status: On Hold

You Don't Want Me Back. Trust Me.

Chapter 5: Trust Issues

The first final had officially begun. Math followed tomorrow by Science, neither a really strong subject for me. I focused on answering what I could, trying to keep all the formulas straight; and then going back to work out a few of the harder, more brain wrecking, word problems.

Hoping I had passed moderately well I turned the exam in two hours later with 15 minutes to spare. Myself and several other students filed out feeling zombified. All of that quickly blew away the moment I was back outside in the fresh warm air heading to the parking lot. We were given one exam per day then given the rest of the day off to study for the remaining tests. Not a bad deal, something I tended to look forward too every year, though usually with friends to hang out with.

This year I focused on getting away from school asap before I ran into two specific people. Isabella, as usual, was one of the first people done with the test. Brayden, being a year ahead, would take his exam later in the day. If she was going to hang around to see him . . I didn't want to be there.

Exiting out through the pool area I spotted Spencer chilling with some of the cheerleaders in the pool despite the “no swimming without lifeguard” sign hanging above them. All the more reason to think Isabella was still hanging around if her brother was here. He caught sight of me and waved, I forced a smile followed by a quick about face march towards the parking lot.

I had just hit the unlock button on my key chain when I heard Spencer calling my name.

“Wait up!” Opening the door as quickly as possible, I turned surprised as my car lurched, to see him panting against my hood.

“Eager to get away?” he laughed pushing wet hair back from his eyes. Still in only swim trunks and tennis shoes, his heels not all the way in, he caught his breath obliviously to my desire to leave.

Not that I didn't like Spencer. He was perfectly friendly and even underneath that superficial 'act out' demeanor, a really good guy. 'Two weeks ago you think you know your best friend and find out you've been fooled badly, it tends to make you view everyone else as a possible betrayer.'

“I gotta go. More tests to study for,” I forced out as causally as I could, dropping my backpack into the passenger seat.

“You alright Tiff? You look – not so great,” he asked only mildly worried. I breathed deep, wanting to blurt out all the hurt his sister was putting me through for one crazy moment, and shrugged.

“Just feeling a bit tired today is all. Math is always a drainer,” I lied sitting down behind the wheel and closing the door. I rolled down the window waiting for the AC to kick in, something slipped through the crack onto my lap and I looked down at the flier.

“You should come. Catch a break. No need to go anywhere near the water, we'll be closer to the walkway tomorrow night,” Spencer invited leaning against the top of my door with one of his charming smiles. I folded the flier and offered it back to him with a declining smile, he stepped away quickly. “Just think about it before you say no, okay?” he asked with a pleading voice.

“Alright. Sure. Thanks,” I slipped my seat belt on as he waved and headed back to the pool. Watching until he went around the corner, I picked the flier up crumpling it in my hand before throwing it out the window. Just to prove how much my day was going to suck, it bumped against the top of the car disappearing into the back. Allowing myself an irritated growl rolled the window up and switch the AC to full blast.

'Maybe if things were different and I didn't feel like my heart was going to fall apart with one more lie. Maybe then I could go back to the normal, happy, carefree girl I was with you and everyone else. Right now I just need to get through this week.'

I merged out from the school drive way, turning up the music on the radio but not really listening. The pain in my chest seemed to come and go with every memory of Brayden and Isabella. 'How long do I have to hold this in?'

From inside my purse on the passenger seat my cell phone rang. “Sorry,” I chocked out trying to ignore it. After five rings it quieted, then started ringing again. Slowing down safely I grabbed the purse handle, yanking it closer as I searched around inside pulling the cell phone up to my ear.

On the other end Trevor's familiar voice came over crisply. “Car trouble. Can you pick me up or still taking exams?”

“Where are you?” I turned on the navigator just in case. Trevor often went out of town for business when Father couldn't.

Fortunately he was only an hour away. I picked him up at Jimmy's Auto Repair listening as he made a few phone calls for the office and I drove home. When he finished he turned to me with a quick, “Thanks kido.”

Throwing him an only faintly annoyed look I kept my eyes on the road. “Where too?”

“Drop me off at the office please, I'll need to fax these papers over since I couldn't make it to the meeting,” he sighed opening the briefcase he carried to sort through the files inside. “You going home to study again?”

“Seat belt please,” I replied noticing a sate trooper in the opposite lane. With a slight grin he complied.

“Going to this party?” Trevor asked breaking the growing silence. Confused I glanced over to see Spencer's flier, full of wrinkles, in his hands.

“Wasn't planning on it,” I mumbled back feeling irritated.

“Might do you some good to go. Have fun, ease up all that tension.”

'Tension? As if he knew the first thing about it..'The silence started to build up yet again.

“How about I treat us both to lunch?” he suggested looking at his wrist watch.

“Already ate,” I lied quickly. “I'll drop you off at the office.” Once more I felt his rather pensive gaze on me while I drove.

“Knight's been asking about your design. Usually you've gotten started one one by now.”

“This weekend. I haven't really found my inspiration yet,” I mumbled. Part of me wondered if it would come in time, or was this whole betrayal thing affecting my artist flow.

“Want me to fly you down to Paris for the weekend?” Trevor suggested coyly. I laughed despite myself.

“For the inspiration or the women?” I countered rolling my eyes.

“Would be rather unfair to limit myself don't you think?” he returned seriously.

“Hopeless,” I muttered pulling into an Italian drive through. “This alright for dinner?”

“You read my mind,” he quickly scanned the menu pulling a Fifty out of his wallet. Paris and all women so quickly forgotten when a man was hungry.

I pulled up in front of the office, mentally planing what meal I was going to ask Mrs. Snyder to make. Trevor's garlic bread was making me hungry. He juggled the take out bag and his briefcase in one hand, standing with the door open, while reaching inside his coat. A white envelop dropped down onto the passenger seat beside me.

“A friend gave me this. Thought you might be interested, if not, can't say I didn't try,” he closed the door and turned around. Surprised I quickly honked my horn at him.

“Will you need a ride home later?” I called through the cracked window, feeling slightly guilty again.

“Nope. You're off the hock for now,” he smirked and with a wave disappeared inside.

Despite my growing curiosity I waited till I got to my room to open the envelope. Inside was a brochure on a horse farm less then an hour away. 'Riding Lessons for Beginners and Horses Provided' highlighted on the cover. I read it from front to back with growing interest. It was both affordable, flexible, and something I could do on my own. Maybe not an exact sport, but I could see myself having fun with it.

'Guess I do owe you one Trevor.' Dialing the number into my cell phone I felt a smile return to my face. The lady on the other end was both friendly and helpful. She emailed me a list of expenses and all the gear I would need to provide myself. Clothes, jacket, boots, helmet, ect.

I set up a date to meet “my partner” (the horse) for the next day after exams. Coincidentally the same day as Spencer's lake party.

Depending on how things looked tomorrow I might start riding right away. With a little more bounce to my step, I went down stairs to coax Synder into making an afternoon lunch.

****

I couldn't wait for the science final to end the next day. What was it about horses that gives you a sense of freedom? Perhaps because I had decided to leave Father out of it for now.

Or, more likely, branching away into something different ( and not connected to Brayden gave me a sense of liberty.

Risking a speeding ticket I reached Sunrise Farms 10 minutes ahead of schedule. A mixed smell of hay, sweat, horse droppings, and leather greeted me as I opened the door. All quickly forgotten as I spotted two riders racing around a circle beyond a patch of grass and fence. Taking careful not of their posture, hoping it wouldn't take me too long to grasp the basics.

Approaching the fence I watched with growing interest. The pair flew around the corner, hooves so loud I could almost feel them pounding inside me. No that was my own heart beating Strange I should be so easily excited just watching two horses run in a circle.

“Miss Knight?” The near by voice pulled me from my thoughts. I turned to find a middle aged woman studying me. It suddenly occurred to me I was over dressed for once. Offering a friendly smile I nodded and held out my hand.

“Are you Mrs. Pinkerton?” I asked hopefully.

“No. I'm the trainer.” Was it me, or did she look annoyed to see me? “Mrs Pinkerton is unavailable due to an accident. One of our girls sprained a shoulder.” Ouch

“Oh I see. She's at the hospital than?”

“The vet, yeah.” The woman turned, apparently done with the conversation. Quickly following the jump from hospital to vet, as girls = horse, I took a half a step after her still some what confused. As if sensing my hesitation she barked over her shoulder. “Come on then. I'm supposed to show you around the stalls.” I followed quickly behind, grimacing at my choice of shoe wear as we got closer to the barn.

Inside I wiped my ruined sandals against the musty hay as casually as I could. She gave me a less then satisfied look over once more to which I offered a weak smile. It almost felt as if I were on a job interview. Holding back a laugh, fearing it would be taking in the worst way possible, I followed past several stalls. Some stood empty, but a few occupants poked their head out ears pricked as Mrs. 'Trainer' passed. She pointed out three of these to me as being available for riding lessons. Two stallions and one mare. I studied them each curiously while she babbled on about breading, races, and the farms history.

Trying to appear as interested as possible, I decided to stick with a female companion. Choosing the Palomino mare, since this was supposed to be a break from men, I followed Mrs. 'Trainer' to the office to fill out the paperwork and make a down payment for the lessons.

My guide finally introduced herself as Libby Johnson, and handed me my schedule for the next two months. All afternoon hours so there would be no conflict with tests, or school should I be riding that long. Libby handed me a business card with the office number and her personal home number for “cancellations and emergency only”.

With an hour to kill before dinner I decided to look around the farm some more. Libby disappeared to take a phone call at the “main house” and I made my way back towards the barn. Breathing in the fresh air, already growing used to the somewhat odorous smell of horses, I found myself smiling as I examined this new hideaway. Thinking of horses was so much better than thinking of Brayden and the party I didn't want to go too.

Circling around the farm I stared out across the fields of fenced off grass. It was almost like looking at the pictures you see in calendars. Yet another horse barn sat off to the north, I wondered how many horses they kept there, I could see a few in the padlocks just outside the barn.

A sudden jar into my side and I gasped as cold water doused across my shoulder and face soaking me instantly. Dripping and wiping water from my eyes I turned as a hand reached out hesitantly to touch my elbow.

“Sorry. I didn't hear you there. Are you alright?”

The bare chested boy, probably around my age, with chestnut hair and sunglasses covering his eyes blushed and quickly removed his hand at my silence.

“Ken?!” A panicked voice behind us both reviled a girl dressed in blue tank top and jeans, her expression as shocked as my own. “Oh my gosh. We're really sorry about this.”

“It's fine,” I managed. Just another pare of designer clothes to toss, no biggie Pulling my hair back and twisting the water out I was able to laugh a little. Ken stood still and mute, apparently not caring that his jeans had been drenched in water too. The girl took his hand reassuringly for a moment before she turned back to me.

“Can I get you a towel? Change of clothes?” she asked.

“Towel sounds great,” I nodded, somewhat confused at the awkward silence from the boy who had drenched me.

“Name's Esther,” she offered her hand. Upon second look I guess her and Ken to be siblings. They had the same colored hair, similar tans, built everything. Esther's eyes were brown but Ken's remained hidden behind his glasses.

“Tiffany,” I shook the offered hand, surprised at her strength, and was quickly pulled along with Ken towards a small trailer behind the barn.
♠ ♠ ♠
More comments more updates. Thank you DaniHollywood for my first comment on this story :)