Plagued

Journal Entry 1

"As sand slips through the hourglass so do the days of my life."

My rules to live by:
1.Put no man or woman before you.
2.Keep your humanity.
3.Eat and don't be eaten.

I've been running for two weeks now. I stumbled upon this old worn out journal. It belonged to someone else but that person looks to be deceased. Each place in this city that I walk to is in shambles. Human life is scarce. I've yet to speak with anyone. Every time they hear movement they run. I can't say that I blame them.My supplies are running low and my fear of contamination is ever growing. I don't know exactly how these flesh eating monsters have come about. I do know that their bite is infectious but I don't know if they can contaminate any food or water. I'm taking precaution by boiling my water when I can but things to create a fire are quite scarce.

Sleep has been difficult. The fear of being attacked while in slumber is rising. The effect of the lack of sleep has taken it toll. Tonight I have baracaded myself in an old building in hopes to get some sleep. This make-shift fort that I have built has trigger alarms. Mostly made from loud sheet metal or even pans, anything to wake me if tripped. I have seen no sign of my husband and child, I fear the worse.

I was awoken by one of my make-shift alarms. It was loud and rang throughout the room. In fear I was being attacked, I grabbed my gun and knife and looked for the source of the noise. Much to my surprise it was my husband and daughter. They both had blood on them and the flesh eating monsters in tail. I feared the worse and it was nearly there. My fear was they had been bitten. I had to do what any human in their right mind would do. I asked if they had been bitten. They gave me silence; their silence answered my question. A knot formed in my stomach. For two weeks I had been searching for them and here they were infected.

The monsters were getting closer by each passing second and I feared my next action. The look on my husband's face said he knew what was to come next and his eyes pleaded for me to put both of them out of their misery. I couldn't do it. I couldn't lift my gun and point it at my family and end their lives.

A man came out of nowhere and two gun shots went off. My eyes darted to the mysterious man. All he said was, "To survive, you must do what your mind won't allow you to grasp." And then he ran. I stood there frozen as to how the guy got there and my family on the ground dead. The incoming group of fleshing eating monsters were still coming in my direction. The gurgling and moaning sounds deafening to the ears. I needed to run. I couldn't mourn them at this time. I grabbed my belongings and ran in the direction the man had ran. I forced the tears back so that I could think and see clearly. I needed to live even if they couldn't.

Tonight, I end this journal entry so that I can fully weep for my loss. I only hope to learn from their mistake and move past the emotion wall that will soon take residence in my heart soul and mind.