Plagued

Flight on broken wings.

The thermal crust of the earth seemed to break under Adelaide's feet. She counted her first few times to clear her mind but it never worked no matter how many times she did it. Her thoughts were beginning to run wild and control her emotions. Humanity was a touch and go thing for her. It was like a ghost for her most times. She was simply breathing in and breathing out these days. There's a voice that always seems to be there. She couldn't place who or what it was but it was in the air; all around her and she couldn't shut it up.

Another deep breath was sucked past her lips then it released. She couldn't look back now. She had gone too far to retrace any of her steps. Her past slowly becoming out of focus. Breathe in. Breathe out. Right. Left. She forced her thoughts to stay on that path but she knew that it was inevitable. They would soon circle back to the place she didn't want them to be at. She was becoming sick of this but she felt she didn't have much control over her own thoughts these days. She was becoming sick of the endless sleepless nights.

Each day was a challenge for Adelaide. The images of her family always played in her mind. Though, they don't occur as often as they had before. They were still there. Eventually her mind put up a defense mechanism to try and protect her sanity. Something was chiseling at those walls though. Her mind tries to keep it from happening but it seems to be ever present. The first time she opened up after their death was the last time she did. Lane was kind to her after a few days of the silent treatment. She had learned a lot from the man and was sad to see his life end so soon.

Breathe in. Breathe out. She closed her eyes as she came to a stop. She bent down and picked up some dirt letting it fall through her fingers. She did this often and she wasn't exactly sure what she got from it. It was twitch she had picked up along her travels. Lane did it often when they traveled together. When she asked why he did it he simply answered, "it helps me think." She had to admit that sometimes it cleared her thoughts and made her focus on what was in front of her.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Her swirling hazel orbs moved slowly over the scenery. She was on the outskirts of a town that much was certain. Whether she was going to enter it or not was the question at hand. The setting sun made her think against it. She'd set up camp here tonight and decide in the morning. She set her bag down on the ground and pulled out the small tent she found in her travels, her eyes catching a small torn up house. It wasn't much but it would work better than being out the open. She gathered the tent back into her bag then threw the bag over her shoulder. She pulled out her AMT AutoMag III, ready for anything to jump out as she scoped the house out.

"It'll have to do," she mumbled softly to herself as she pushed the door open with her free hand, gun pointed as the door swung open. "Anyone in here?" she called out to be on the safe side. She didn't want to startle anyone and get herself shot. That wasn't exactly in her plans for the night. When no one answered she stepped inside her gun still pointed. It only had three rooms; a kitchen, bedroom/living room and a bathroom. Or at least that's what they were suppose to look like. The windows were boarded up and she liked that. It meant she didn't have to do it herself.

Her bag fell to the floor in the room that would be the bedroom for the night. Maybe even the next night who knows. If she could get some sleep tonight she'd be eternally grateful. She pulled out her tent with the intention of using it for a pillow of the sorts. Anything that would make her comfortable. There was part of the mattress left and she intended on using it if she could. She's sleep sitting up for better reflexes if something comes sneaking around. Thank goodness for her senses or she was sure she'd be dead if something were to attack her tonight.

Finally when she had made a comfortable enough bed, she sat down and leaned against it. Her eyes already fighting to stay open. Her right hand held her pistol and her left held her knife within minutes she was out, a smile present on her face.