What Separates Me From You

Two.

Frank's Point of View

She's pretty – her skin is that kind of coffee-colored ice cream that stays smooth when she's stressed and only crinkles slightly when she laughs, right on that bridge above her nose. I like the way her hair is untamed, falling in those short pretty ringlets down her thin face, sideswept bangs she blows constantly out of her eyes. Everyday, I think about brushing them out. I think about clipping them back so I can see the masterpiece of her as fully as I can, to frame her with my fingertips. But mostly I just stare as she smiles at Gerard, giggling at some witty joke my best friend makes.

There's a problem with these thoughts of mine, that keep me up at night and send me to distraction. That slender, curly-haired girl smiles at Gerard because they're in love – and I'm supposed to be telling those jokes to Anya, my sort-of, in-between girlfriend.

Don't get me wrong, I love Anya. She's captivating, in all honestly; her abilities to write and sing amaze me, her looks are positively striking. The world she lives in when she listens to music is one that I don't quite understand, and possibly never will. I like to watch her with those headphones blasting, her features softening and morphing with each song. But it was different, the way I watched her. I didn't covet her, she didn't haunt my dreams. Our fingers touching is just skin hitting skin, and with Emmalyne, its different.

I remember a month ago, we were waiting for Gerard to come pick us up and take us to the Black Flag concert. She was struggling with her bag, and I offered to carry it for her. It was a red bag with small Hello Kitty faces on it, one she often got made fun of for but never really minded. I liked it, personally. When she gave me the bag though, she made a quick 180 turn, bumping into me, us standing face-to-face. We were standing so close that I could feel the molecules surrounding us snapping with nervous energy, begging to collide. Call me crazy, call me cliché, but that's when I was positive. When our eyes finally broke contact, something broke and changed inside of me. Anya's hand just turned to skin instead of want, and all of her love I felt was only friendship.

As my hand rested on her knee, I pretended it was Emmalyne, guilt biting me in the conscience and heartache written on my back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Love it?
Hate it?
Baby, let us know!

This is Ceilidh (also named Control), and I'm really excited to be on board the writing train.
Love to all of the readers, commenters, and subscribers. :)