And Her Fingers Danced Across The Keys

Chapter 5

How could it have been worse? Wasn't it bad enough that she was letting down her father? That she had left her piano behind for days in a row? That she had to stand that mournful cry of the waves, now crashing against the rocks and the walls with never fore-seen violence?

Indeed, the waves of the sea practically swallowed the rocks all the time, and rushed to the rocky walls underneath the villa. Perhaps it was their soul-less attempt at eating at the hundreds of feet separating them from their mistress, that mistress they had never seen, were never to see, yet they did not care to see. They cared to hear her. Actually, they didn't even care to hear her. They cared to hear her rampantly smashing her thin, translucent fingers against the keys of the piano.

Angelina was haunted by the sounds of the water that was way underneath, so haunted she had come to a point she was not able to tell the difference between reality and her imagination. Her nights had become fully sleepless, and it seemed that no headphones were powerful enough to cover the sounds of the raging waves. She had been under the temptation of asking her father whether those sounds were real or not several times, but held back each time, worried she would trouble her father too much.

And yet, life found a way of becoming somehow worse...

- 11 years earlier -

"But, daddy, where did mommy go?" a straw-color haired little girl with big hazel eyes asked her father while holding tight to him as he carried her to her room, high above the sea.
"Your mother, Ange, had to go away. You see, your mommy is also a good fairy, and now that you're all of a grown-up lady of 6, she had to go perform her fairy duties for a while," he said feeling his eyes become watery, but being careful not to allow his daughter to notice that.


Naturally, as the years passed, the little 6 year old added to that number, and realized her mother may not be a good fairy. But she also realized that talking to her daddy about it made his eyes shinier than usual, so even when she stopped calling him ''daddy'' she didn't dare ask him about the real reason her mother had gone.

But now, as her piano didn't take the biggest part of her day, Angelina started wandering around their rather large house, looking for something she didn't even realize she had been searching for.

The attic had always been a mysterious and beautiful place, but between school, piano playing and music contests and such activities, the teenager had hardly spent more than a few minutes in there in the many years they had lived there. But now, in one of her random wanderings, she found a dusty, old and untouched wooden chest in a remote corner of the attic.

Upon opening it, she was stunned to find some women's clothes, jewelry and what looked like personal objects of someone who could only be her mother. But that wasn't what made her heart break into thousands of pieces. It was a few letters, tied with a black piece of satin, that did.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry for not updating for such a monster amount of time(I last updated in February of 2008). This story kinda died on me then, but I managed to revive it today, more than a year later... :)
I appreciate criticism!