Status: Finished! Comment please! <3

I Know That You Feel Me

1/2

Tom Fletcher knew a lot of things. It was one of the reasons he had been branded as a 'geek' in High School, the other being his love for Disney movies and soft toys. As well as being incredibly smart, he was also extremely good at reading people. Like, if someone was having a bad day, he would be able to pick up on it and comfort them straight away. If someone was about to tell him something bad, he would be able to realise beforehand just by the look in their eyes. And when it came to music, he was nothing short of a genius. Melodies and lyrics just came so easily to Tom, songs practically spilling out of his mind every minute of the day. He was constantly humming a melody, or working around the basis of a potential song in his mind.
There was one thing, however. One thing that Tom was clueless about, one person whom he had never been able to read. And who was that single amazing yet infuriating person?
Why, only Danny Jones of course.

In this current situation, Tom was sitting propped up against the wall in his bedroom, guitar balanced on his lap and a notebook lying not far away. Yet again, he was trying to write a song about him. Every single time he tried to write a song about Danny, the creative flow just never came. He knew He needed to be able to see inside Danny's mind, see inside his heart, before anything would present itself song-wise. That was an infuriating thought at the least, as even though they were best friends and had been for years, Tom had a scarily certain feeling that there was more to Danny than the brunette let on. He just wanted needed to get inside his mind somehow...

Sighing in frustration, Tom scratched another hopeless melody and scribbled out the pathetic excuse for lyrics he had been trying to conjure from his brain. Why was it that everything else came so easily to Tom, but with Danny he was a lost cause? It was as if Danny had brought some sort of concrete wall down over Tom's mind, disabling the elder male from actually getting inside his heart.

Why did Tom care so much anyway? Why didn't be just let it all go with a wave of the hand and a muttering of "Danny is Danny."?
Tom knew the answer to this, and the very thought of it frightened him out of his wits. It was because he had this stupid little crush on the younger man. He had since they'd first met, finding the brunette intimidating yet absolutely fascinating at the same time. As soon as their eyes had locked across the room, they knew the two of them were going to be plunged into something deep, frightening, and beautiful.

Suddenly, there came a knock at the door of Tom's bedroom.

"Tom?" A familiar Northern accent called from the other side of the door, voice slightly muffled by the wood. Tom sighed, he had almost forgotten that Danny was coming round today.

"Come in, Dan." The elder called back lazily, carefully placing the acoustic guitar aside and standing up just as the brown haired man sauntered into the room. Despite himself, Tom couldn't help but smile as the other man walked towards him. He was just amazing, but Tom knew that he could never ever have him. Danny was just way too far out of his league.

Danny sat down sighing and grinned at Tom, glancing at the guitar and the notebook.

"Writing?" He inquired, even though it seemed like he already knew the answer. Tom nodded as he picked up the notebook and flicked through a couple of pages, his clear eyes scanning the contents before realising that the small book contained nothing of value.

"How's it coming along?" He smiled slightly, dropping the notebook back onto the bed. Tom sighed and flopped back down next to Danny.

"Frustratingly. I'm just completely out of creativity." Tom brought up his legs in front of him, hugging them to his chest tightly. He watched Danny as he frowned slightly, looking concernedly over at Tom.

"Come on, mate. This has never happened before! You're usually bursting with ideas!" Danny tried to encourage him, slightly confused as to why music wasn't so characteristically flowing out of the older man's mind. Tom shrugged, leaning his head on the top of his knees. Of course he knew why he was stuck, but Danny didn't need to know that at that precise moment.

"I know, but things just aren't flowing." Tom sighed, picking up the notepad from where it lay beside him and moving it to his bedside table. That way, if any inspiration suddenly hit him in the night he could jot it down easier. It was doubtful it would though, as he was having a severe mental block.
Danny paused for a second before picking up the guitar that Tom had discarded, running his fingers over the nylon strings.

"Well, let me help you. I've had this idea in the back of my head for a while now, and it's not great or anything but it could help you get over this idea drought." Danny chuckled slightly. Tom smiled gratefully at his friend; he loved it when Danny sang, and it was even better when he sang something Tom didn't know.
Danny struck a few chords of guitar and his eyes slipped shut as he started to sing;

We ran past strawberry fields and smelt the summertime,
When it gets dark I'll hold your body close to mine,
And then we'll find some wood, and hell we'll build a fire,
And then we'll find some rope and make a swinging tyre.


He sang softly, still slightly unsure on the melody. However, it took Tom's breath away, and immediately his overactive brain jumped into life and started to whir with ideas of what could come next. Danny stopped singing and looked at Tom expectantly, recognising Tom's expression instantly. It was his creative face, the one he wore when he was working on the basics of a song or pondering over finishing touches.

"That's really good. Well, how about a sort of pre-chorus bit next? Like, a few lines that's slower than the original verse?
How about;
Captivated by the way you look tonight
The light is dancing in your eyes,
Your sweet eyes
?" Tom sang, brain sparking with ideas. Danny's face lit up; it fitted perfectly!
Tom grinned, somehow sensing that Danny was trying to communicate something to him through the song, much as he was trying to do in return.

It was getting late, and the beside lamp was the only light source in the whole room. The soft glow of the light caught in Danny's gorgeous blue eyes, and Tom realised that what he had just sung was no word of a lie. Danny did look amazing that night, with his hair styled into a bouffant using hairspray and his oh-so tight v-neck exposing some of his chest to Tom's gaze. It took everything Tom had not to just lean over and kiss the life out of his best friend then and there.

Danny grinned; happy that they were working together on something, and also happy that he brought Tom's creativity back. He hated seeing his friend stressed out over songwriting.

"That fits really well! There mate, now your idea flow is back! Don't get stressed out over songwriting, you can always just leave it and go back to it when you feel like." Danny informed the elder, placing a hand on his arm. He couldn't stop himself wondering how many times Tom had gone to the gym in the previous month, because he was developing some serious muscles. Danny thought Tom suited muscles - he had the sort of frame that just looked far too lanky if he was without them. Before, of course, there were the days of chubby Tom when they first met. Danny had always thought that Tom looked absolutely adorable with his slight baby fat, but now Tom had slimmed down and got muscles he looked... Wow. Not adorable, but hot. Really hot.

"Thanks Dan, I'll work on that little idea in the next few days." Tom smiled gratefully; although the younger man was the cause of his creative block, he was also amazed about how he could bring him out of it so quickly. He both frustrated and amazed Tom at the same time, and Tom sighed internally at the fact that just one single person could have that effect over him. 

"No problem mate." Tom watched as the Boltoner chuckled, smiling back at the older man.

Suddenly, Tom's eyes caught on a small black notebook poking out of Danny's pocket. And, raising and eyebrow, he quickly darted his hand forward and pulled it out. Danny looked eyes widened for a second, panicked, before attempting feebly to grab the book back.

"What's this Dan?" Tom asked curiously, eyebrow still arched as he held the notepad out of Danny's reach. Danny gave up and buried his blushing face into the pillow embarrassedly.

"My thought book." He groaned, dreading the thought of Tom reading what was inside it.

"What sort of things do you write in here?" The blonde boy grinned, enjoying teasing the younger male. Danny sighed before sitting back up and fixing his hair.

"My thoughts and feelings and stuff, as well as snippets of lyrics and whatever really comes into my head." He explained, avoiding eye contact with Tom at all costs. Tom smirked and flicked through a few pages, the random phrases and words jotted down in Danny's messy scrawl making no sense to him whatsoever. His eyes were automatically drawn to an eye-catching page filled in with red pen, and his eyebrow raised even further once he saw what was written on that page.

"I think I'm in love, with someone who I shouldn't be in love with."

"Who is this person, Dan? A girl?" Tom asked curiously, whilst his heart broke inside at the fact that Danny was in love with someone else, and he was almost certain that it wasn't him because - come on - Tom Fletcher, gigantic geek, was not known to attract people. Especially not people as gorgeous and amazing as Danny Jones.
Danny hung his head again, fiddling with the bedsheets.

"No, not a girl." He said hesitantly, still never meeting Tom's gaze. A flash of hope suddenly sparked in Tom's mind: well, if it wasn't a girl, then it had to be a guy, didn't it?

"Oh, so it's a guy." Tom said nonchalantly, as if it was no big deal at all. Danny's crystal eyes widened considerably and he gripped the sheets with both hands, breathing in deeply before he looked up and finally made eye contact. The look he saw in Tom's eyes reassured him that no matter what he said, Tom would always be there for him,

"...Yeah. It's a guy..." The brunette sighed, trailing off. Tom finally saw emotion in his baby blue eyes, Danny was finally an open book for Tom to read. He saw fear and nerves in his eyes, as well as embarrassment and awkwardness. All things which were so uncharacteristic to Danny. Tom placed a hand comfortingly on Danny's shoulder, stroking the soft material of his t-shirt slightly.

"May I ask who it is?" Tom said cautiously, unsure whether he was pushing it too far. Danny bit his lip and turned away from the elder again.

"I- Tom... I've just spilled my guts here, can that be for another time?" The younger asked, cautiously looking up at Tom through frightened blue eyes. Tom nodded, smiling reassuringly at him before picking up the acoustic guitar from where it lay and beginning to strum a few chords. He was playing a song that had been stuck in his head for the past few days, and he just needed to comfort the brunette to reassure him that everything was fine.

And I'd give up forever to touch you,
Cause I know that you feel me somehow.
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be,
And I don't wanna go home right now.

And all I can taste is this moment,
And all I breathe is your life,
Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't wanna miss you tonight.

And I don't want this world to see me,
Cause I don't think that they'd understand.
When everything's made to be broken,
I just want you to know who I am.


Tom sang with his eyes shut, singing quietly and soothingly to Danny. Even though Danny would probably never know, this song was Tom's way of communicating his love for the younger man.
The blonde slowly opened his eyes as he strummed the last few chords on the guitar, watching Danny watching him. He noticed Danny's expression was much calmer now, and the anxiety in his eyes had completely disappeared. As the brunette smirked, Tom felt a wave of victory surge through him. Yes! He had brought confident Danny back!
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so this was originally going to be a oneshot, but then the word count started to get a bit scary xD
Also, I have written an alternate version of this story. As in, it starts the same, but has a very different outcome. Comment if you want me to put that up too. :)