Status: Slowly but surely

Night and Day

Successful Weddings

In the morning I woke early, the wedding was at 3 pm and I had to be there a couple hours before. So I showered taking my time and lounged around for a while eating a breakfast consisting of dry cereal out of the box and orange juice whilst I watched reruns of America‘s Next Top Model. Something about that show just made me hungry. I finally got around to getting ready and I dried my hair, curled it strategically and made it look presentable to the public eye. My make up was somewhat minimal with a hint of bronzer and mascara but just enough for people to know I was a female. I put on the tuxedo complete with satin band around my midsection. Already wearing the plain black high heel pumps I heard a knock at the door whilst I attempted to figure out the bowtie situation. When I answered the door I saw Rusty standing there where another suit, I swear the man was a walking Armani catalogue.

“Did you need something Rusty?” I ask giving him a look.

“You look good in a suit.”

“Thank you, now what do you want?”

“You never said if you were in or not.”

“I‘m in,” I reply.

“Glad to hear that. You can pull it off you know.”

“I have to, you guys would be counting on me.”

“What time is this wedding going to be over?” he asks.

“Ceremony starts at 3 and reception will probably last until 9 or later depending how much booze is there,” I answer.

“I‘ll take you to the wedding then pick you up later. We have to fly out as soon as possible,” Rusty states.

“Alright, I‘ll pack my suitcase now.”

I left Rusty in my living room and went to pack a suitcase. With the occasional question about how long I’d be gone I got things packed into the suitcase. It was done and time for me to get going to the wedding. Rusty was busying himself looking at my book and movie collection.

“You have an interesting collection of movies.”

“Mhmm,” I reply stuffing a few last things into my jacket pocket, a flask among one of the things. Putting on my black wayfarer sunglasses I was ready to go. Rusty looked me up and down.

“If I ever get married I wouldn‘t want a distraction like you at my side,” he states.

“Believe it or not Rusty, but I am not the ruthless seductress I‘ve been portrayed to be. Its just a stigma that comes with being a mildly attractive woman who hangs out with a bunch of men,” I reply with a yawn, “Besides who‘s to say I don‘t prefer women over men anyways?”

“You‘re trouble,” Rusty laughs.

“Come now chauffer I‘ve got a wedding to get to,” I order.

The wedding was nice, all the groomsmen plus me the best woman got to wear yellow rose boutonnières to match the bridesmaids’ yellow dresses. I was glad I wasn’t a bridesmaid because those dresses were so bright they gave me a headache just looking at them. Time passed and the pair were married. The reception came and people began eating and drinking. After doing the little speech that the Best Man is supposed to do things got rolling. Things were fun and most of the people were dancing. During the slow dance I opted to hang at the bar. It came time for the bride and groom to leave so we all saw them off. Rusty was already there waiting in the parking lot leaning against the frame of the car he drove.

The drive to the airport was short because apparently they had a private plane. I never rode in a private plane ever. We walked to the hanger and I saw that Danny Ocean and a woman were there already.

“That‘s Tess, Danny‘s wife.”

“Oh,” I reply as we approached the couple.

“You must be Amora,” the woman who resembled Julia Roberts says with a smile.

“That‘s me, its lovely to meet you Tess, your husband speaks so highly of you,” I reply with a smile.

“He does?”

“He does.”

“I do like your suit Amora, not many could pull that look off,” Tess comments.

“Thank you, I quite like what you are wearing, very clean cut and elegant.”

“How was the wedding,” Danny asks.

“Very wedding-like, no one got jilted at the alter so I suppose it is considered a success,” I reply with a smile.

“Shall we?”

I merely nodded and we all got onto the aircraft. Tired I sat in the comfortable leather seat whilst loosening the bowtie. Danny handed me a file and Rusty sat across from me. Reaching into my coat pocket I pulled out my black rimmed reading glasses.

“Its Winston Delmont’s file,” Rusty states.

“I gathered that by the envelope being labeled Winston Delmont,” I counter putting on the glasses.

“You wear glasses.”

“Must you point out the obvious while I am trying to read Rusty?” I question as my eyes absorbed the pages before me. “He‘s going to run a background check on me.”

“Why do you say that?”

“He‘s filthy rich Rusty, this guy wouldn‘t trust his own brother, you really think he is going to take an interest in someone without knowing their past?”

“Is there something in your past that could be used against you?”

“She‘s clean,” Rusty answers Danny’s question.

“He also collects antique guns.”

“And we know you didn‘t get the nickname Ammo for no reason,” Danny adds looking at me.

“Alright so I may know a lot about antique guns,” I admit, “But how do you want this to go? I mean me just showing up in his life is going to look a bit suspicious.”

“You‘ll pose as goddaughter to one of our other guys, Saul, who will be posing as a high roller entrepreneur,” Rusty says.

“Okay sounds solid,” I nod, “So I‘m his tag along.”

The rest of the trip I studied the file as well as the man’s features. Winston Delmont was not what I would call ugly, actually he was handsome. He had dark harrowing eyes and a fairly structured facial features. Things were not what they were with this man, there was something about him that just read as well wrong. During the flight my focus was interrupted by my own thoughts that made me look up at Rusty who seemed in deep thought as well. He looked out the window sipping on his drink, I don‘t even think he knew I was looking at him. It was moments when others thought no one was looking that you could see what they were really like.

Rusty seemed like the kind of guy everyone trusted and went to when there was a problem in their life. Loyalty was written all over him like a childhood dog. Always smiling and reassuring with his witticisms. But right now, I saw loss and lack of direction in his life like a camper who lost his compass and didn‘t know how to read the stars above him that have the whole world mapped out. Deciding that I shouldn’t be one to judge and observe like I was doing, I looked back at the papers. It wasn’t time for me to be nostalgic. Besides it was a job, I wasn’t supposed to get to know these men like that. Just a job that would help me get my life back on track.

Flying into Vegas was completely different than driving into Vegas. The bright lights drew you in like a moth to the flame, it was majestic and lovely. It was glitz and glamour at its best, arriving in Vegas in a private plane. Never would I had thought I would be getting to arrive in such style, it was what Hollywood movies were made of.

The sky was beginning to lighten as we got into the car waiting for us and the heat was a bit steamy. In the car I took off the jacket and rolled up my sleeves. Now with the bowtie off and few buttons undid I was feeling a bit more comfortable. We arrived at a rather swanky house outside of the Vegas Strip and entered the home. I could hear some men talking.

“She got a big rack?”

“Well uh,” a familiar voice that could only be Linus states in almost a stumble.

“Linus I was called Chesty McHooters in high school, it’s a defining physical attribute, not something that could be hidden easily,” I say with a smile as I entered the room full of men, “Hello everyone.”

“’Ello love, I‘m Basher,” a man with a heavy cockney accent smiles brightly.

“Chesty McHooters but you can call me Amora or Ammo for short,” I reply shaking his hand. The guys chuckled in unison.

“Have we met?” an older man questions with big black rimmed glasses.

“No sir not that I know of, what was your name?” I respond examining his features. His style was too unforgettable to forget. I’d remember a pair of awesome glasses like those.

“Rueben.”

“Doesn‘t ring a bell, I usually remember faces really well and I know for a fact I wouldn’t forget someone with so much swagger,” I state but it wasn‘t well received by Rueben, “Okay that was a compliment, I know swagger means arrogance but arrogance to me is actually really impressive, shows that you have gumption and ambition--wow I’m going to stop talking I get too wordy when I’ve been up for long periods of time.”

“So you like arrogance?”

“It‘s an acquired taste but alright in moderation much like a good scotch,” I reply with a shrug.

“A scotch woman, I like her,” Saul responds impressed.

“Did you really have a prostitution ring?”

“You really delved into those files didn‘t you?”

“Had know the basics and well it was interesting read.”

“That‘s what its there for,” I counter sarcastically.

“You didn‘t answer the question.”

“You didn‘t ask the right question,” I respond. A few of the men chuckled.

Eventually it came time for us to discuss a few things and finally for me to actually sleep. I fell asleep on the lounge chair while the others chit chatted among themselves. Even though I was fairly friendly and inviting I was still the new kid on the team. Although I was asleep I could hear the light voices that carried along in my subconscious. The things I heard I chose to ignore until later when I had the energy to frighten them. I woke up at around nine in the morning with a nice blanket draped over my body that was keeping me warm.

I stretched out looking around the seemingly empty place only to meet Rusty‘s gaze from across the room where he sat eating a bowl of ice cream. Pushing myself off the couch I stretched again as I wiped the sleep from my eyes.

“What are you going to wear when you go to check in today?”

“I was actually thinking about that,” I respond, “What does he normally wear?”

“About the same as Rusty, a bunch of suits,” Linus answers appearing out of nowhere.

“So he dresses like a pimp on vacation?”

“Funny, when‘s the next on the show Rachel Maddow?” Rusty counters.

“Don‘t be jealous because Maddow gets more women than you,” I retort not missing a beat.

“Are we talking about you or the real Rachel Maddow?”

“Let’s not get technical.”

“Who says we are getting technical?” Rusty smiles. I merely chuckled and headed towards my luggage.

“I am going to go get ready, you know before your ego gets bruised,” I announce with a teasing smile.

I left the room and headed to the bathroom where I could clean myself up. After quickly taking a shower, shaving my legs and slipping into a white strapless dress. Followed by some brown heels and matching skinny belt along with a pair of peacock feather earrings I was set to go. Once I was ready I put my things away and went back into the main room.

For some reason I felt the need to go outside to check out the weather outside. I stood just outside the front door looking at the surrounding mansions in the neighborhood. It was strange to be in this neighborhood and I wondered what I was going to do with the left over money after I paid all my loans off. Lost in my thoughts I didn’t notice Rusty had come outside or even the other man briskly walking up the driveway calling my name.

“Amora Mercedes Polanski, do you have any idea how long its been?” a familiar voice announces. I looked up to see Troy Masters in all his glory.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is part 3, hopefully it was a joy to read for you lot :)