Let the Sun Rain Down on Me

And let the sun rain down on me

He would have expected time to pass slowly, moving at a snails pace. But instead, from his place at the back of the room, the people around him seemed to be moving at double the speed they normally would. He knew it was just his imagination, but he felt as if time itself was trying to run away from him. Or perhaps, subconsciously, it was the other way around.

His body was being washed, the face covered with a thin white lace that obstructed all view of the features he had in life. Cora was assisting Mary in the task at hand, taking far more care with his corpse than his killer. He could vaguely recall, when they were small children, Cora having a schoolgirl crush on him. He smiled wryly, though no one could see, and thought about how much better things could have ended up. Nevertheless, he really had loved Mary, and a little part of him wanted to believe that the feeling was mutual. But he knew better now.

And, he realized with a surprising calmness, there was absolutely no use thinking about what could have been. There was no changing what had happened.

But he could change the future, at least, though he didn’t have much time to do it; his body was being covered in material much like that on his face and the true mourning was beginning as people began to sob. Mary was among them, he noticed, putting on an excellent show. She had always been a fine actress.

On impulse, he approached his corpse anxiously. It was lying theatrically in front of the audience of grieving people, and he briefly hoped they would bury him in something nice, something comfortable, though he knew it didn’t really make any difference. Just as these thoughts were flowing effortlessly through his mind, he noticed something out of the corner of his eyes.

A little girl, Lilah. Lilah was a friend’s child, maybe seven or eight years of age, he had never paid much attention to child, he just knew she was rumored to be mute. But now, the blond girl had his full attention; she was staring right at him.

Not through him, or around him, but at him, like she would someone living. He tilted his head to the side; curious as to if he was imagining this. So he took a few steps closer, closing the distance between himself and the solemn girl. The girl’s eyes followed him.

She could see him.

“Do you know who I am?” He asked, wondering himself is he was even remotely recognizable. The girl nodded, her expression completely blank. He had always wondered if there was something a little off about her, and this could probably explain it.

He carefully lowered himself to her level, realizing just how important she could be to his situation.
“Do you know why I’m here?” She still didn’t speak, but cast a meaningful glance at the body covered in white lace. He nodded.

“And I can’t go anywhere until people know why.” He didn’t really think that informing the child that his plans included Mary burning for what she did would be a good idea. “And I think you can help me.” Oddly enough, the kid smiled, matching his own encouraging grin.

He stepped back, giving her space to between his corpse and his mourning friends. The sun shone through the window warmly, and for a moment, he swore he could feel the rays of light on his face. It was a pleasant feeling, and one he hoped wouldn’t leave him as he turned his attention back to Lilah and the people before him.

He couldn’t keep from beaming as the little girl spoke, loud enough and with enough certainty to snap the mourners out of their grief in surprise and horror.

“Mary did it.”

And the sun became so bright it nearly blinded him.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End.

I enjoyed this :) Maybe no one else did, but I really like writing this.