Consequence

------
-----------------------you're the color, you're the movement and the spin.

Contrary to popular belief, it was actually fairly easy living the life of a professional hockey player. Despite the obviously physical and stressful environment that was stationed proud once athletes skated on blades against slick, solid ice, their lives outside the rink were prim and polished and easy. Their money flowed from bank accounts and their wallets and pockets like that of rain from a thunderhead, and the company they kept continuously was that of the highest quality. It was almost impossible to draw a, "life is hard," from the mouth of somebody who was listed within the NHL's employment.

No amount of money in the world, no amount of fame, however, could lure Jonathan Toews's thoughts on his failure to be the father that he had sworn he would be. He doesn't even know when it started, or how old his daughter is, because it was too easy to get caught up in the lifestyles that being in the NHL granted him. The management expressed to him that if anyone knew he had a child, Jonathan's appeal to the world would slowly diminish.

When Jonathan visited his father the summer after his daughter was born, his father took him outside onto the back porch and told him, "fail with consequence, Jon, but lose with eloquence, and smile."

He may have failed at being a father for the first few years, but Jonathan would be damned if he lost the fight, because the game wasn't over yet. Not by a long-shot.