Status: I love this story...I'll come back to it one day

Smile When Your Heart Breaks

#11

Paul’s POV

It was dark when I awoke. Getting there, anyway. I sat up slowly, not wanting to make my sore ribs any worse. I looked around- and was surprised to see Delia on the floor sleeping with her head on her hands close to my chest. I got out of bed carefully so I wouldn’t wake her and lifted her gently onto the bed. She snuggled into the heat and I chuckled, grabbing a pair of shorts and following my nose straight to the kitchen. I was starving.

After eating probably a gallon’s worth of soup, which was surprisingly delicious considering all of the vegetables in it, I went back to my room. Adelia was in bed where I left her, looking angelic but cold from the way her body tensed. I slid under the covers next to her, careful not to upset my ribs, and she curled up against me- something she’d probably never do if she were awake. It felt good, right. I never actually slept next to any of the girls I hooked up with, or held them romantically. But Delia stirred something inside of me, something that made me want to protect her. I wrapped my arms around her tiny waist and smiled as I remembered how she lookd when she first returned.

I grabbed a Gatorade from Old Quil’s and paid for it before walking around the store, finishing it in a minute. I tossed it, passing by an aisle where a girl was singing. “You say that I’m messin with your head! Yeah yeah yeah yeah, all cause I was makin out with your friend…” I stopped and backpedaled into the ice cream section. “-so what if I go out on a million dates Yeah yeah yeah yeah-”

Her voice was pleasant, but average. It was the exuberant passion behind it that brought it to life. The song, I mean. She had curves, but a pretty fit body too. The reason was obvious as I watched her dance obliviously straight into me, causing her shopping basket to go flying. She wasn’t my usual type, though I found her to be pretty hot, which I realized was a good thing as I recognized the energetic, bright brown eyes looking into mine. It was Adelia, Jacob’s cousin that moved to Vegas years ago.

“WHOA,” she stepped back, wearing a sexy yellow/gray top with tiny shorts and combat boots. Her eyes flickered over me with well-concealed admiration (I was only in shorts) and she apologized before spinning on her heel, clearly not recognizing me.

“It’s not problem…Delia.”


I chuckled at the rest of the little flashback, smiling unconsciously to myself about how she’d launched herself into my arms. Where she fit so perfectly in now. I’d ask Jacob what the big deal was with her hating on me, and he told me that a bunch of “players” had hurt Delia before and left her wounded. I had to run out and phase, suddenly furious at them and myself for hurting her. She wasn’t innocent, but she loved most people openly with all her heart and didn’t deserve the pain.

~~~

I awoke to a series of sharp knocks on the door. Blinking in confusion, I looked around to find myself in Paul's bed with his arm around my waist and both of us with clothes on. My shirt had smears of his blood on the sleeves, so I dug around his drawers for a wifebeater and turned my back to pull it on, tying the bottom to cinch it tightly.

“Hey, get up,” I shook his shoulder. “Someone’s at the door and it’s probably for you. One moment!” I called to the door, running around the house to find a mirror. I did what I could to fix the bedhead surrounding my face. I checked the time on the stove too- 8 a.m. Sharp. Who the hell would come to a recovering shape-shifter’s house, at this time of morning, with the manners to knock?

I opened the door and stopped in my tracks. I didn’t know what to say. I was in shock. Paul walked up behind me and eyed the uniformed military man on the doorstep. “Can I help you, sir?”

“You can start with telling me why my daughter is in your house.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I haven't been on the site in ages- and I was stunned to see that I hadn't updated in 5 months! I could hardly believe my eyes. Thank you to the following for still supporting me and commenting on the last chapter~

fiction;

rachelMISFIT

xXLostXSoulXLoverXx

UltraViolett