Status: I love this story...I'll come back to it one day

Smile When Your Heart Breaks

#3

Delia drove to the store with the guys in tow, blasting the stereo with the windows down. Even as well-off as she was, she cringed as she told them that they could choose their own icecream flavors and grab the milk, however much they would need. She needed a job ASAP to keep this up. Sticking earbuds into her ears and connecting it to her phone, she danced around absentmindedly to Avril Lavigne as she loaded a basket full of food, and the like. She stocked up on junk food, because it was yummy, but also packed in some fruit and salad so that she wouldn’t starve when the guys decided to devour everything.

While swinging her basket around and singing in the aisle, she knocked into someone and sent it flying. She would have sent herself flying as well, if the person hadn’t caught her by the arms to steady her. “WHOA,” she regained her balance and straightened. “Sorry about…that…” She was met with a tan, crazily muscled male with spiky dark hair and a very badass aura. Who was also half-naked with abs neatly lined over a V-shaped waistline. Damn.

“It’s no problem,” he answered as she turned to snatch her basket of food back. “…Delia.”

At that, she whipped around and stared at the hottie, eyes narrowed. “If you are a stalker, I’ll have you know that I can kick your behind out of this little swamp, and being hot has nothing to do with it!”

The guy furrowed his eyebrows at the odd use of English, though a smirk was still playing on his lips. “Swamp? We’re on a reservation next to the beach.”

Delia crossed her arms, managing to arrange the basket in her hand while doing so. “In an area surrounded by trees and mud, it is safe to call this small area of land a swamp. But no, you may not change the subject. Who are you and how do you know my name?”

“Did you call me hot?” He asked, completely disregarding her entire statement. The nerve!

“Hey, Paul!” Jacob hollered from the end of the aisle. “Good, we have one less person to call.” Delia stared from her cousin, to the stranger, then back and forth.

You’re Paul?” She stared in disbelief. “Last time I checked, you were trying to be all punk and ghetto with saggy black jeans and a chain around your neck! You even shaved a stripe in your eyebrow!”

Paul face-palmed at her ridiculously clear memory of things he’d rather have forgotten, and Jacob roared with laughter. “That was years ago,” he huffed as she launched a hug at him, dropping her basket yet again.

“You smell better too,” she complimented. “I see you stopped drowning yourself in Axe?”

“Thank God for that too,” said Jacob before stuffing a pastry in his mouth.

“Jacob, we haven’t paid for that!” Delia admonished, throwing a Nature Valley bar at his face. He caught it and pouted.

“But I’m hungry!” Delia shook her head before picking up her basket and dragging her insatiable cousin to pay for the food.

*&%$#@!

“My wallet is crying.” Delia informed the car full of males, who had taken it upon themselves to fill three entire carts of food, just to make milkshakes for the afternoon.

“We love you!” they chorused and she scoffed ‘bullshit under her breath, even if she did expect nothing less. At the house, Delia greeted every single friend that she’d ever had, the only females in which were Leah and Emily. Emily she’d actually never met, but Leah she greeted more exuberantly and excitedly than the others. Leah was the only one- outside of Jacob- that she’d truly kept in touch with, and was truly like a sister to her.

Delia handed out the gifts after the greeting and food frenzy was over. None of them were especially notable, outside of Leah’s Tiffany friendship bracelet, which was not only worth over $1000 but also was personally engraved for her by Delia. They were sitting and chatting in front of the TV where the others were scattered around the couches, having their own conversations. Delia tensed slightly as she saw Paul sit next to her from her peripheral vision. His body heat was intense, and she still couldn’t believe how hot he’d gotten in the past couple of years. Wait- but why should that make her nervous? Since when did anything make her nervous?

This is bullshit. Delia told herself firmly. You are just horny and need to get over it. Grab a beer or something when Uncle Billy isn’t looking and get OVER it! She looked up to see both Leah and Paul staring at her face expectantly. “Yes...?” She questioned, staring back at their visages.

“Do you want to go cliff-diving with all of us tomorrow?” Leah asked very slowly as she stared at her friend.

“Yes! Of course I do, what else is there to do around here?” Delia swatted at their too-close proximity to get her personal space back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone~ if you made it with me this far, then THANK YOU so much. I didn’t purposely delay the uploading of this chapter purely because of my story being reported- I typed the chapter up on my laptop, and it CRASHED so my chapter and possibly 3 years of my life are now gone. I re-typed the chapter with almost no recollection of the original version. Thank you for reading, please subscribe and comment!