Status: I love this story...I'll come back to it one day

Smile When Your Heart Breaks

#9

I was half-way home when a hand covered my mouth and seized me by the waist, dragging me into the forest. "MMM!" I kicked and flailed. I didn't know how to free myself, even if I could throw a nasty punch.

"Quiet down." a deep voice rumbled in my ear, pulling me up against his body to raise me to his height. He was really strong and muscular, which made my chances of escape even slimmer. His body heat was heating up my skin. Oh no that means he's turned on- I'm gonna get raped and killed! HELP!!!!! I started shrieking and flailing more than ever, panicking, until we stopped at a clearing and my kidnapper set me down. I spun around.

It was Paul. And my fury doubled. "What the FUCK is wrong with you?!" I screamed. He took a breath, like he was trying not to get pissed and phase. Well he'd sure as hell better get used to being yelled at if he was going to pull shit like this!

"I just wanted to talk," he ground out. "And unless you want the rest of the pack to find us alone in the middle of the forest, I suggest you quiet down."

I glared, wishing I had some kind of super-power to make him keel over and die. "Fine. You have two minutes." It was kind of pointless for me to put that kind of time restriction on him, considering I'm too ADD to even count 10 Redbulls, but he didn't have to know that.

"Why do you hate me so much?" Shoulda seen that one coming. Of course he's the confrontational type.

"I despise all self-absorbed, cocky players who tell people what to do- especially the ones that shoot their mouths off at me." I spun on my heel, lifted a foot, and was spun back around. "Especially the grabby ones who can't keep their hands to themselves!" I glowered and he pulled his hand back.

"Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you?" he demanded.

"I just told you," I glared impatiently. I was already strangling him with a giant tree branch in my head and it wouldn't be long before I put my thoughts into action.

"No, what is your problem? Because what I do, my sex life, and my attitude, is none of your business. You have no right to be pissed when I've never once made a move on you." He was way more perceptive than anyone gave him credit for.

I stood, in stunned silence. Which, might I add, never happens. I'm well aware of the fact that I never shut up. I chewed the inside of my cheek. "Not including the part about the attitude, you're right. I'm sorry and I'll stop." I left before he could say anything else. And he was right- he hadn't once hit on me and had been just as welcoming to me as everyone else. In his own sort of way.

Was it his fault he was the guy I've always wanted? Confident enough to challenge me because he was stronger and physically flawless? No, It wasn't. So I would simply stay away.

*&%$#@!

I started work at the diner and the guys came all the time, even thought it was in Forks. They seemed edgy and guarded at first, but soon relaxed and laughed as comfortably as they would at my place. Well, Jacob's place. It was the new kick-back, since I knew how to cook. Emily reassured me that she didn't feel replaced, and even appreciated the reprieve from baking and cleaning, even though she loved it. Still, I would come home to find any mess left during the day, always vanished. I love Emily.

Sam did too- he seriously appreciated my freeing up Emily's schedule, because they both now participated in what we all dubbed "freak week," once every month. No one, not even on patrol, went near a one-mile radius of them when it was going on.

I worked from 9 to 9, both as a waitress and a junior chef. I loved learning how to make new dishes, and did extra cleaning around the diner. It was second nature to me, if anything, cleaning up the pack's mess. I saved everything I earned, to pay for college whenever I decided to go.

The most exciting thing, though, was visiting the News Center in Seattle. They were willing to let me take an internship for the summer, which was in 3 months. Now, three weeks after that, I haven't spoken to Paul, aside from taking his order. I still felt annoying butterflies flapping at my insides when he was around, but I'd learned to ignore it and convinced myself it was all for the best.

I saw Chief Swan almost daily at the diner. From his cheerful attitude, I gathered that he hadn't seen my record, and didn't know that I decked his daughter in the face. He seemed to take to my chatty demeanor and liked me a lot.

*&%$#@!

The Cullens and Quilette pack met at the borderline in the forest. Alice smiled at Seth's sandy form and he wagged his tail in response. Paul and Rosalie snorted in contempt, and Sam and Jacob watched on in their human forms. Sam began.

"I didn't think I would need to repeat the terms of the treaty made 50 years ago, but it seems that you have all forgotten..." His face was hard and impassive, not wanting to be there any more than the rest.

Carlisle stepped forward. "I would like to apologize on Edward's behalf. No such thing will happen again...although I would like to ask if you can convey to Delia not to attack Bella again, as we do consider her part of our family."

Jacob, tense and tightly wound by the time the coven leader finished speaking, was held back by a touch of Sam's arm on his shoulder. Easier said than done, Sam thought wryly. "We'll pass that along."

The smallest Cold One now danced forward."I had a vision," she informed the pack. "Five nomad vampires will be arriving from the south. They should be here in a week or less and I hope that it can be resolved peacefully, but it's not likely." She twirled back to her mate. The leaders exchanged nods and the two groups disappeared in opposite directions.
♠ ♠ ♠
A quick update to quick comments! I usually try to wait until I have as many reads as subscribers but alas, it seems they don't all regularly visit the site. So this is for you~

xXLostXSoulXLoverXx

rachelMISFIT

RandaRue22

Ice_Cat

UltraViolett

Jaymesyn_Marie