My Way Home is Through You

1/1

“Every fucking night you pick some pathetic, little fight.” Ella shouted.
“Maybe you shouldn't do stupid things; maybe I won't raise my voice!” Jasmine hissed.
“Mama, I am trying to sleep.” The girls averted their eyes over to the open door, their little boy was standing there. “You always fight,” he said as he rubbed his eyes and held onto his teddy.
“I'm sorry honey, come on and I will tuck you in.” Ella said as she picked up Jake and carried him off to his room.
While she was gone Jasmine looked at the clock hanging above their TV. Just gone midnight, she had completely lost track of time, poor Jake he always has to put up with the fighting while he is sleeping. Jasmine lay across the bed and covered her eyes with the palms of her hands.
“What are we going to do?” She asked once Ella came back through.
“What do you mean?” Ella asked as she sat at the opposite end of the bed.
“Us, what are we going to do about us? Jake can't handle all the fighting, he's only 3!” Jasmine moaned.
“I don't know what we can do,” that was the end of the conversation. Ella rolled over, turned off her lamp and closed her eyes.
~
“Mama, I had an accident.” Ella half opened her eyes to see Jake with tear filled eyes.
“What's wrong sweetie?” She mumbled.
“I didn't go to the bathroom.” Jake then burst into tears.
“Honey, its okay we'll get it cleaned. Jasmine, it's your turn to sort him out.” Ella said as she nudged Jasmine.
“No, you can do it. You're his mum.” Ella didn't respond, she didn't want to pick a fight. But she definitely is going to say something when Jake is not there.
“Come on Jake, do you still need to go?” Ella asked taking Jake's hand and getting out of bed.
“No,” Jake shook his head.
They walked into Jake's room and turned on the blinding light. Ella striped the bed and put it all in the washing pile; she then changed Jake and carried him back into her room. She placed Jake in-between her and Jasmine and fell asleep again.
The next after noon came it was Friday so Jake went round to his friend's for dinner after nursery. Ella had the day off and Jasmine just came home, they didn't even look at one another until Jasmine sat down.
“What the fuck is wrong with you?” Ella hissed.
“What?” Jasmine asked, generally confused.
“Aw, he's your son you can do it. Fuck sake Jasmine, you've known him for two years, it wouldn't kill you to help out!” Ella shouted.
“I had to get up early in the morning to support this family. I knew you had the day off so you could just sleep the whole day,” Jasmine rolled her eyes.
“You don't think I work? I clean, I cook, I look after Jake and I've got a job. You've got to start helping me!” Ella screamed.
“I didn't ask for a kid. Ella, I'm 24 I don't want a child.” Jasmine sighed.
“You're telling me this now? Seriously? two years of having Jake, you think I got a choice if I wanted Jake or not? No, but I still raised him. He knows you better than he knows his dad.”
“He doesn't know his dad. Ella, I just, I feel like I'm missing out. I feel tied down with responsibility.” Jasmine shrugged her shoulders.
“Of course, because you're the victim and I'm a free bitch. I forget, how selfish of me. Look, fuck off Jasmine; I don't even want to look at you!” That was the last Ella said as she got up and stormed out the house.
“Fuck you, pussy.” Jasmine mumbled as she rubbed her eyes.
An hour past and Jake came home, his friend's mum dropped him off. Jasmine put on some dinner as Jake watched TV.
“I drew you a picture,” Jake smiled as he handed Jasmine a picture.
“Oh wow, it's me and mummy.” Jasmine smiled as she saw Jake's drawing of her and Ella holding hands. They had the triangle dresses with stringy hair and point noses with stick hands and feet.
“Uh huh, we had to draw our parents. People asked me why my mummy was with my other mummy.” Jake said as he smiled his dimples and chubby cheeks sticking out.
“Yeah, what did you say?” Jasmine asked taking the picture and sticking it on the wall.
“I said because both my mummy's love one another very much.” Jake grinned, Jasmine paused for a second then turned around.
“Yeah, that's true.” Jasmine kissed Jake's forehead before attending to his dinner.
Ella didn't come home until Jake was sound asleep. Jasmine was sitting on the chair, quietly reading her book. She had a bone to pick with Ella when she came home. It wasn't working out among them. It just didn't feel right, not like two years ago. When they were in their early twenties, they would wear bright red lipstick all the time. Not so much anymore.
“Where the fuck have you been?” Jasmine asked casually as Ella stumbled home.
“Out, away from here.” Ella said as she sat on the couch.
“Look, we need to sort something out, between us.” Jasmine sighed as she picked up the picture Jake drew of them and handed it to Ella. “Jake drew that, he was told to draw his parents, he said people asked him why he his mum was standing next to another mum, he told them because his mummies love one another very much.” Jasmine pushed her hair out her face as she sat next to Ella. “What are we going to do?”
“I don't know. I just, I don't know. Do we think we're only together for Jake?” Ella looked at Jasmine.
“Maybe, do you still love me?” Jasmine asked.
“I don't know,” Ella said after a long pause. “Do you still love me?”
“I don't know,” Jasmine looked down. “I'll see you tomorrow,” Jasmine pecked Ella's cheek before going to bed.
Morning came, Ella was at work, and Jake was round at his friends. Jasmine was busy in her room, packing. She had to leave, no point in staying for a kid, she has to get out of here.
“What are you doing?” Jasmine turned around and saw Ella standing at the door.
“Packing, I'm leaving.”Jasmine said as she picked up her suit case. Her eyes filled up with tears.
“Why? I thought we could get through this, together. Like we always do.” Ella said trying not to cry.
“Yeah, that normally works, but we don't even know if we love one another. Face it, we were only together for Jake. You wanted another parent for him, and I don't blame you for that. Goodbye Ella,” Jasmine kissed Ella's cheek before walking down the hall.
“Wait!” Jasmine turned around. “What will I say to Jake?”
“Make something up, tell him I love him.” Jasmine then opened the door and left without looking back.