Status: When i stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house I had onyl two things in mind: Paul Newman and a ride home...

Pretty Baby

Replaced by a Cherry/ Arguments

The rest of that day was uneventful. The next day Pony and I hung out with Dally and Johnny (the pet of our gang). We visited Soda and Steve real quick at the DX and went to the greaser hang out (author: sorry I cannot remember the name). A fight broke out the moment we got there, and once the blades were out we got out of there to avoid the fuzz.

It was a pretty fun day, 'course it couldn't end that way. Dally took us to see a movie when it was dark. Once at the drive in he began hitting on a girl who angrily took a seat infront of us. Dally wouldn't take no for an answer and after a while he gave up. The girl turned to us as soon as he was gone. We told her we weren't trouble and she cooled off. For some reason I really didn't like her.

"Who are you?" She asked me.

"Names Amber but everyone calls me Pretty, that moron you met earlier was my brother." The girl had introduced herself as Cherry Valance. According to her it wasn't the first time my brother tried to sway himself into her clothes. Last time she threw a soda in his face.

"So how you been Pony?"

"I've been alright, how about you?" It was like that for the rest of the night. Dally returned but Pony and Johnny quickly took the seats next to Cherry and Marcia leaving me in the back by myself.

"Pretty, Tim said he drove by our place and heard a loud ruckus." I sighed, mom and dad were at it again.

"Okay I'll spend the night at Pony's." I told him. He took off to find Sylvia, a greaser girl who can't seem to keep her legs closed. Pretty soon Pony and Johnny were only paying attention to Cherry and Marcia, and I began to feel utterly alone. I slipped away without them noticing.

~~~~

The Curtis household was quiet when I got there. Darry was reading a newspaper, and Soda was sprawled on the couch watching tv. "Hey boys." I greeted them.

"Hey Pretty what are doing here so late?" Darry asked.

"Dally heard from Tim that there's hell going down at my house. Pony and Johnny got dates so I figured I leave them and come here." I sat down next to Soda who kissed the top of my head.

"Pony and Johnny got dates?"

"Well they met two girls, ya know Cherry and Marcia, and well they sorta forgot about me." Darry shook his head, damn I think I just sentenced Pony to a skinning. "It was freezing outside anyway." It's always cold as hell in Tulsa in the winter. I rubbed my arms to get warm but stopped short when Soda picked me up and placed me on his lap. He held me close. "Thanks Pepsicola." I closed my eyes and was out like a light. I don't know how long I was asleep before shouting woke me up.

"Ah now look what you all did, you woke up Pretty." Soda said. Darry and Pony were at eachothers necks again.

"What the hell happen to you anyway, I looked behind me and you were gone!" Pony shouted.

"I'm surprised you cared enough to check on me. Seemed like Cherry was takin' care of you just fine." I snapped at him.

"I could say the same thing about you and Soda you little tramp." Darry wacked Pony upside the head.

"The hell's a matter with you? Talkin' to Pretty like that?" Darry shouted.

"Come on, you don't need to hear this." Soda said helping me off the couch.

"I sure don't, if I hear anymore of this I'm afraid I'll have to skin your kid brother alive." I said walking into the room Soda and Pony shared. I dug a nightgown out of the drawer the boys made for me (they even filled it with girl clothes) and told Soda to turn around. I changed and told him it was okay. We crawled into the bed he and Pony usually share. I layed on my side and Soda draped his arm over me.

"They promised me they wouldn't fight anymore." Soda whispered.

"Yeah well a year ago Pony promised to never treat me like dirt and that was broken too." I said.

"Don't worry I'm sure Darry'll get him for that." Soda said before kissing my cheek. "Goodnight Pretty, I love you."

"I love you too Soda, night." I closed my eyes and fell asleep in his arms.