Status: Very active. :)

Falling and Failing Is All I Know

One

Kara buried her face in Brian’s chest, hoping to be able to control the sobs that were wracking through her body. Brian had his arms wrapped tightly around Kara’s small frame as she helplessly succumbed to her sorrow. He was rubbing a hand soothingly up and down her back, but it was just making everything worse. He wanted nothing more than to stop the tears that were falling from her beautiful eyes, but he had no idea what to say to make her stop hurting. He wished he could bear the pain himself so she could be happy again. He’d given anything to see her smile.

“Shh Kara, it’s going to be okay, I promise” Brian whispered, not trusting his voice to remain steady in that moment. He was afraid that he would soon be just as bad off as Kara. He wanted to be strong for her, but that wasn’t such an easy thing to do.

“No it’s not going to be okay. Brian, I’m moving across the country. We’re probably never going to see each other again,” Kara said through her tears.

“Don’t be like that Kara. We will see each other again one day, I’m sure of it.”

“Promise?”

“I promise,” Brian said, and hoped that he could keep that promise.

Kara managed to force a weak smile, before the endless tears began to spill from her eyes once again. Brian leant forward and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, sending chills down her spine. Even after a year of being together, she still got chills when he kissed her. Kara loved him more than anything, and didn’t want to leave him.

“Come on,” Brian said, standing up from the ground, “let’s go ride around town. We can’t just sit here all night. We have to have one last night of fun.”

He grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet, before lifting her off the ground in a giant bear hug. She smiled and a laugh slipped through her lips, and it was like music to Brian’s ears.

++

They stood facing each other in the crowded airport. Once again, there were tears pouring out of Kara’s eyes. As much as Brian wanted to be strong for her, he couldn’t stop the few stray tears that fell from his eyes. He blinked, willingly them to stop coming, but they didn’t listen to his commands.

“It’s not so bad Kara,” Brian said thickly, his voice affected by the tears plus the large lump that seemed to be stuck in his throat.

“Yes it is. I don’t see how I can survive without you.”

“This isn’t the last time we’ll see each other. I’ll come find you as soon as I can. I promise you that. I’ll find you and we’ll be together forever.”

“I would love that.”

A voice buzzed over the intercom, urging the passengers to hurry up and board the plane, as it was taking off in less than five minutes. Both of them inhaled deeply, not wanting this to be happening. Why couldn’t time just freeze here forever so they didn’t have to be without each other?

“You should go, so you don’t miss your plane, baby.”

“I don’t want to leave you, Brian. I love you too much to go.”

“You have to, Kara. Don’t forget my promise.”

Kara nodded her head, wiping her hand across her cheeks to get rid of the wetness. Brian rested a hand against her cheek and smiled the best he could under the circumstances. He slowly leant forward, and the couple’s lips crashed together for what could very well be the last time.

“I love you, Brian Haner, I truly do.”

“I love you too, Kara, more than life itself.”

Brian pulled Kara into his arms one last time, and placed a kiss on her lips. He would hold her here forever if he could.

“Bye,” he whispered in her ear as he released her from the embrace.

“Bye.” she choked out before turning and walking towards the doors to go get on her plane. She stopped with one hand on the door to turn and wave goodbye at the guy she loved, to see him looking back at her with tears running down his cheeks. She had never seen him cry before.

Then she turned, and went the rest of the way through the door, leaving Brian behind in California as she began the long journey to New York City, her new home.


++

“Hello. Earth to Kara,” Lacey called, waving a hand in front of Kara’s blank face.

“Oh. Wow I totally zoned out there for a minute,” Kara said, shaking her head as if to make the heartbreaking memory go away. It stuck around like it always did. It had been three years since then and she still felt a piercing pain in her heart every time she thought about that day. She hadn’t seen Brian since and as time went on, they got to where they barely talked at all. But still, she held onto the hope that Brian would keep the promise he made all those years ago.

“More like five minutes.”

“Seriously? Shit, I’m sorry.”

“Yeah, yeah, now get your ass back behind that counter before you get fired.”

“Ma’am yes ma’am,” Kara said with a laugh before fake saluting Lacey, making her roll her eyes and head back for the counter.

Kara stood from the table that she was seated at, grabbing her half emptied cup of coffee. She tossed it in the trashcan as she passed it on her way back to get behind the counter. She grabbed her green apron with ‘Starbucks’ printed across the front from its hanger on the wall and slipped it over her head.

She slowly drummed her fingertips on the spotless countertop as she awaited the arrival of the first bunch of early morning coffee drinkers. She hated this job. Especially since it was one of two jobs, but she needed it if she wanted to make rent every month. It’s not easy being a twenty-one year old on your own in the big city.

She suppressed a yawn as she heard the familiar bell that sounded every time the door was opened go off. She looked up in time to see a very buff guy with a hoodie pulled up over his head and a dark pair of aviator sunglasses on his face. Kara tilted her head ever so slightly to the side as she watched the guy walk across the empty room and sit down at the table in the very back corner, as far away from the window as you can get. For some reason, she was insanely curious about the guy for some reason.

Kara was apprehensive at first about approaching the mysterious person, but her curiosity finally got the best of her and she slowly made her way over to the table with the pad of paper she wrote down orders on.

“Good morning, sir. What can I get for you?” Kara said, forcing the cheeriness to a completely unrealistic level. She just wasn’t feeling it today.

“Kara?” the guy said, in a voice that sounded strangely familiar to her. She wracked her brain for a reason why the voice sounded so familiar, and then finally, it dawned on her. It was almost as if he was from another life, but she knew exactly who he was.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a story I wrote a few years ago. I came across it on my computer and decided to rewrite it. This is what I have come up with. I like a lot more than the old version, and I hope that you all will like it too.
I would love to hear what you all think. So don't be shy, comment away. :)