Status: I Have A Virus. No Updates For A Little. Sorry :\

A Tantalizing Kiss

Sorry Isn't Enough

Friday passed flawlessly.

I made an attempt to keep my head down whenever I could. As much as I enjoyed the people that were in this performance, I wasn’t a huge fan of being seen in it as well. Since it was the opening night, the auditorium was almost completely full. From what I could tell, it was mostly only the parents of the actors and actresses.

I could only hope that the next day was like that.

Joey hadn’t brought up the fact that she was going on Saturday. A small inkling of hope stirred in my gut that Rodger hadn’t actually given her the ticket, but I knew it was just wishful thinking. He’d spent his money on it. There was no way he would be backing out especially if my sister was involved in this.

I ran a hand through my hair, staring at the ceiling above my bed.

Next to me, my phone buzzed annoyingly.

Rose texted me.

‘Are you ready for tonight?’

I smirked, tucking a hand behind my head as I responded with the other quickly. She had looked incredibly cute in her outfit.

‘Yeah. Last night was a piece of cake. Today will be the same.’

While I waited for her response, I sat up, fumbling around my room in search of clothes. I grabbed a shirt that I had worn a few days, tugging it over top of my bare chest. I left my boxers to go as my growling stomach led me out of my room and into the kitchen.

Joey sat in her normal spot, a hand resting gently on her belly. She had the news playing on the television softly.

“Morning kiddo.”
I looked up from the fridge to see her staring at me. “Oh, Hey Joey.”
“We’re out of milk. Have fun finding something to eat.”

I pouted, standing up and leaning my hand on the door on the fridge. Hold it open, I glanced behind me, “Can’t you go out and buy me some?”

“With what money?”

“The money from the coin jar; I don’t know.” I whined. “I want some cereal, and we don’t have any milk.”

“Eat it dry.”

“That’s gross.”

“Stop whining Mason. I’d like some damn milk too, but you don’t see me complaining this much.” She snapped, quickly losing her temper. “So shut your trap and close the damn door. I’m paying for this electricity you’re wasting.”

I rolled my eyes, closing the fridge.

She sucked in a deep breath, closing her eyes. “Sorry. I’m really in the mood for oatmeal, and of course we have no milk.”

I held my hands up in defense. “I’m not the one that drank the last one. I haven’t been home long enough to do so in a while.”
“I’m not blaming you.” She snapped, “I just wish we had some.”

I grabbed the box of cereal and poured the balls of sugar into a bowl dry. Nothing could be pull from this that was healthy without the milk.

I sat at the kitchen table eating from a dry bowl of cereal angrily when my phone buzzed in the waistband of my boxers.

I pulled it out, taking a spoon full in at the same time.

‘I wish you had Pierce’s role.’

I smirked.

‘So do I. I know all the lines.’

I took my time eating as I waited for her to answer.

‘It’d be better if you were my Phantom. Pierce is too flamboyant for that.’

I chuckled.

‘Doll, who the hell uses flamboyant in a text? This ain’t English class.’

The doorbell rang, pulling me out of the bubble I was formed between Rose and I in our conversation.

My head jerked up as I watched Joey stand and walk toward the door.

It took only a few seconds to realize who it was.

“Pumpkin…”

The door slammed closed.

I raised my eyebrows, but felt an overwhelming sense of smugness as she stormed back to her original position on the chair before the television.

“Caden?”

“Yeah.”
I nodded, completely understand her frustration.

The doorbell rang once more before I saw my phone vibrate. This time, the message wasn’t from Rose.

‘Can I come in please?’

I frowned, responding with a simple now. Curiosity nagged at the back of my mind. Had he texted Joey as well? She’d bury herself in guilt if she ignored his text, despite how angry she felt toward him.

‘Mason, come on. I want a chance to explain.’

I heaved a heavy sigh before standing up and dumping the rest of my cereal out. I tucked the phone back into my waist band and opened the door for the bastard standing there.

His hair was crazy compared to the neat clothes he wore. The denim jeans with a plaid shirt tucked into them clashed with the wild hair atop his head. I wasn’t sure whether he was in a stable position or not.

“Mason,” He seemed surprised that I actually opened the door for him.

“Can’t you tell she just wants to be left alone?” I hissed, keeping my voice low. Even though I knew Joey was aware of our conversation, I tried to keep it quiet.

“I need a chance to explain.” He snapped, obviously irked by the attitude I was giving him. He had every right to be. Until he bailed on my pregnant sister, I had always looked up to him.

“Mason…” Joey said. I couldn’t tell if her voice was once of annoyance or defeat. Or a mixture of both.

I turned my head to look back at my sister.

Her eyes were sad, but she shook her head, “Whatever. I don’t care anymore. Just let him in and then we’ll be done with him.”
I glanced back at Caden just as his face cringed from her words. A smirk crossed my lips as I pulled away from the door, letting him walk by.

It was strange to see him inside of the apartment once more. He glanced around, obviously feeling out of place. Nothing had changed since he’d left, but it felt like everything was different once more. Caden bit his lip, taking a seat in the place that he would occupy normally.

Joey was curled up in her chair staring at the floor.

“Do you have anything to say?” I asked, breaking the silence harshly. I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall as I surveyed the scene.

“Can your sister and I have a moment?” He asked.

“No.”

Caden nodded understandingly. I was waiting for Joey to object, but it seemed that she had no intention of doing that.

“So…” He trailed off, searching for where to start. Caden took in a deep breath, trying again, “I’m sorry, Joey. I don’t know how many times you want me to say it, but I’m sorry.”

She didn’t respond, but her body tightened in response to his words.

“It was… I don’t even know what it was that happened.” He ran a hand through his hair, sighing, “My boss dropped the bomb that it was going to be me or Lloyd getting laid off this year the same day. I guess I just freaked. I couldn’t handle a family if I didn’t have a job.”
It took all my will not to intervene. He had no right to be feeding her excuses. If he was a real man, he wouldn’t have left. He would have stayed and together they could have figured something out to support them.

He disgusted me now.

“I know you’ve been getting my checks.” He mumbled. “And I want you to know even if you don’t want to see my face again, I’ll continue to support my child.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Listen, Joey, you don’t even know how much you mean to me. And now that I know there’s a part of me living inside of you…” He exhaled slowly, incredulously. “I didn’t know how to respond to it. I’m so sorry, Pumpkin.”

“Sorry isn’t enough.” She muttered.

“I know, –”

“I had no idea you had any intention of coming back.” She hissed. Her voice seemed to grow with confidence and pain with each word. “I’m barely supporting Mason as it is. And now I have to think about another baby? One that isn’t going to be leaving soon? How do you think I felt knowing that the father of my child bailed on us?”

“I can’t even begin to imagine.”

She stood up, pointing a finger at him, “You’re damn right you can’t imagine! It’s terrifying! I didn’t know if I’d be able to have a house next year!”

“I wouldn’t have left you with nothing.” He stayed in his seat, pleading with her, “I sent you money, I left you with the brand new car, I wouldn’t have sued or anything!”

“That isn’t enough.” She shouted. I raised an eyebrow, ready to defend my sister if she needed it. It didn’t look like she would. “Two jobs! I need two jobs just to maintain what I have now! I can’t do anymore! Plus the stress of a baby… Mason can’t handle all of this either. He needs to focus on college and soccer scholarships! Not a damn niece or nephew!’’

“Joey….”

“No. Caden, no.”
“I’m sorry, Pumpkin, I really am.”

“Those are just words.”

“I…”

“Forget it. I need a minute. The doctor said not to stress myself out while I’m pregnant. I don’t want to screw up this child’s future any more than it already is.”

He cringed at that last part, but stood up regardless. “I’m going to continue giving money for as long as I can. I’d like to discuss this more later.”

“Out.”

“Joey…”

“Didn’t you hear her?” I interrupted, crossing my arms, “The woman said get out. So leave before I make you.”

There was a look in his eyes that said he knew he could take me if needed, but there would be now brownie points earned with Joey. Giving me a cold glare, Caden left the apartment, obviously displeased with the outcome.

Joey sucked in a deep breath.

I felt my phone buzz. Pulling it out, my eyes widened as I realized what time it was. Already one in the afternoon. I had to be at the school by two-thirty.

Ignoring the text, I tucked it back into the waistband of my pants, turning toward my sister. “Are you ok, Sis?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” She took a minute to steady herself before sending me a superficial smile. I returned it, fully aware she had lied to me.

“I’m going to go get dressed. I need to leave at quarter after two…”

“Yeah, whatever.”

“I’ll be home late again.”

She waved me off.

As I walked toward the bathroom, it occurred to me that she might actually not know about the play tonight. I wasn’t sure whether I should tell her or not. If Rodger didn’t have a ticket for her, then it would be useless. If anything, this would break her heart to know that I didn’t get her a ticket for my first play.

At the same time, I wasn’t sure if she’d care to know this or not.

I decided to let Fate decide what would happen as I stripped off my clothes and climbed under the warm cascading water of the shower.

~*~

“Where the hell is my Phantom?!” Stein cried out frustratingly as we started to get make-up on an hour before the show began.

We had already gone through practice twice without Pierce. He was one of our main characters, and Stein was freaking out. I sat at one of the make-up tables as the helper padded on various powders from various containers.

“Mason, do you know your lines?” She asked, trying to keep herself calm.

“I’ve already done the play twice today. I know what I’m supposed to do when I have to.” I rolled my eyes. “I’m good.”

“I have a feeling you’re going to be our Phantom this evening.” She scowled.

I wasn’t sure whether to take offense from her attitude over me playing one of the lead roles, or get excited to be doing so.

My heartbeat quickened as I realized who I’d be singing in front of.

“Mrs. Stein, where’s my costume?!” Rose frantically called, interrupting the conversation that we had been having.

She wore a black tanktop and black tights that molded wonderfully over her perky ass. I couldn’t help myself as they walked away. Her blonde hair sashayed down her back as they hurried off, her feet making the softest steps.

“Look up.” The woman doing my make-up instructed.

I did as instructed, swallowing my nervousness for the show.