Sequel: Don't Stop Now
Status: Finished

Break Me Down

Fourteen

A full two weeks after the announcement and Lilly hadn’t seen or heard from Garrett at all, she was currently in her bedroom getting ready for a BBQ Pat was throwing at his parent’s house and for some reason Lilly was excited at the prospect of seeing Garrett, she was convinced he had to be there. Lilly would be lying if she said she wasn’t scared about moving to London, the thought petrified her but it was something she really wanted to do. Garrett always had a way with words with her and had a way of calming her down that no one else could do so she wanted to talk to him about this trip as well as seeing him in general.

The look of disappointment on Lilly’s face was extremely apparent when she got to Pat’s house with Kennedy late and didn’t see Garrett at all. Lilly decided to talk to the host.

“He said he couldn’t come, surprised he didn’t tell you,” Pat answered giving Lilly a sideways hug.

“No he didn’t, he hasn’t spoken to me much at all lately has he to you?”

“No more or less than usual.” Pat shrugged and walked away from Lilly patting her shoulder for comfort. He found it weird Garrett hadn’t been in touch and had an idea why but didn’t think it was his place to say.

“Hey Ken can I borrow your car please?” Lilly rushed over to her brother hoping he would say yes.

“Why?”

“Garrett’s missing; I want to go get him.”

“And I will get home how...”

“Call me and I’ll pick you up if I’m not here. Drink as much as you like I’ll drive you home regardless.”

“See that kind of thinking I can get on board with. Don’t hurt her,” Kennedy replied tossing Lilly the keys which she failed to catch not being the most coordinated person. She swiftly picked them up and ignoring the jeers from her brother’s friends she walked out of Pat’s back garden and jumped into her brother’s car before setting off to Garrett’s house.

The young male was sitting in his bedroom playing around with an electric guitar, he was well aware of the shindig that was happening at his drummers house but could not gather the strength to go. Ever since he had heard the news of Lilly’s leaving he had done nothing but sit in his room wallowing in self pity. He thought cutting her out from his life now would help for when she would walk out of his but it didn’t make him feel any better, in fact he felt much worse. Garrett was interrupted from his thoughts by a knocking at his door.

“Come in,” Garrett mumbled thinking it was his mother asking a question about the TV or something, the surprise couldn’t be any more apparent on his face when Lilly walked into his room.

“Your mum let me in downstairs, you’re missing the party.”

“I don’t feel too good.” Garrett lied not daring to look Lilly in the eyes.

“We both know that’s bullshit Garrett come on come out!”

“I can’t.” Garrett shuffled awkwardly on his bed and kept avoiding eye contact; Lilly sighed and sat next to her friend.

“Okay Garrett I’ll leave but you have to promise you’ll come to my going away party next week.”

“NEXT WEEK? That’s... wow that’s really soon.”

“I’m going to be in a new country so I want to be settled first, you have to promise you’re going to come.”

“That’s just, come as bit of a shock I didn’t expect you to go so soon. I’m kind of surprised you’re going at all really.”

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t get me wrong Lilly I think it’s great you’re following your dreams and you want to achieve all your goals and get what you want out of life. I’m just surprised about London I mean it’s so far away; you could have got in anywhere Lilly I know you’re not stupid you could have got into any college in the states. It just kind of seems like you’re running away, I know you’re not I just don’t understand why you’re going so far. I get going back to ASU might bring back some old memories for you but what about Phoenix? Why London? Why can’t you stay here?”

“I would, I would stay I wouldn’t have even considered going if I had something to stay for.”

“You have us.”

“I mean people who are here for more than four months out of a year, best friends or a boyfriend. I’d stay for them.”

“I’m a best friend.”

“I know Garrett but its com...” Lilly didn’t have time to finish that sentence because Garrett’s lips pressed firmly onto her own. Caught in a daze Lilly kissed back forcefully, hungry for this for the longest time. Garrett’s hand made its way to Lilly’s cheek and he caressed it softly. Lilly’s hands travelled up towards Garrett’s dark hair and she toyed with it playfully as Garrett sucked on Lilly’s bottom lip making a mental note to remember the taste of her in case it never happened again. The couple pulled away and smiled at each other as the blush rose up both their necks.

“I know you’re my friend but if it was more, would you stay?” Garrett asked trying to control his shaking hands. A big smile erupted on Lilly’s face and she nodded her teeth still clamped on her bottom lip.