Sequel: Don't Stop Now
Status: Finished

Break Me Down

Sixteen

“Garrett have you seen my mascara?” The redhead asked looking around Garrett’s room. She had all but officially moved in with him, she had spent almost every night there for the past three weeks since they had told Kennedy about their relationship. She left clothes there, making sure to do the washing herself, she couldn’t rely on Mrs Nickelsen to do everything for her, that wouldn’t be very fair. Lilly knew Kennedy wasn’t mad at her, when she was home he didn’t shout or scream at her; in fact he hardly talked to her at all. To save the awkwardness and the tension Lilly spent as less time there as possible, which Garrett didn’t mind at all, he could never get sick of spending time with Lilly and as cheesy as it sounds one of his new favourite things to do was hold her at night, he has never slept better without Lilly by his side and it was still purely innocent. Both knew all Kennedy needed was time alone to get over the initial shock and everything would be back to normal soon, he wasn’t ignoring either of them and wasn’t mad towards them just slightly hostile so they both knew it wouldn’t take long to be fixed.

“Have you tried the bathroom? I don’t see why you need it to be honest; we have to leave in five minutes anyway.” Garrett was dropping Lilly off at her first job interview, she decided since she wanted to stay in Arizona her degree would take a back seat for a while since she knew in her heart there would be no way she could go back to where it all happened. There was a nursery not too far away who wanted an assistant with no previous experience necessary but Lilly had little experience from when she was younger, she thought she wanted to work with children before she got interested in forensics so thought this was a great opportunity. Lilly said she could walk to the centre since it wasn’t too far away but Garrett being the supportive partner and feeling a little guilty he was the reason she was staying put and leaving her studies, insisted he took her.

“How’d it go?” Garrett asked when Lilly was safely in the car again after her interview; she smiled hugely and buckled her seatbelt.

“It’s looking really good, she had one more person to interview after me but she said I’m and I quote an impressive candidate!”

“That’s my Lilly! So where do you want to go for food?”

“I don’t care so long as there is food I am so hungry! I don’t know what it is about nerves which make me starving but it does!” Garrett just laughed a response as he drove off towards the centre where all the food outlets were placed.

“For two?” A middle aged woman who had a look which screamed ‘I would rather be anywhere else’ muttered as Garrett and Lilly walked into the restaurant.

“No it’s fine I see our friends,” Garrett replied nodding over to a four table where Kennedy and his on/off girlfriend sat. Lilly smiled at the woman, being raised to always be polite no matter how rude someone was and followed Garrett to the table wondering what his plan was.

“Hey guys, erm mind if we join you?” Garrett’s gaze flickered between Kennedy and Gabi, mainly focusing on Kennedy taking extra time to examine his face.

“Sure, hey Garrett hey Lilly, Kennedy told me about you two.” Gabi smiled and sipped on her soda. Lilly smiled back and relaxed a little, she and Gabi had a strange relationship; they were close when Kennedy and Gabi were together but when they were apart seldom spoke. The couple sat down and ordered, trying to make things as normal as possible but in the end kept the conversation between themselves. Kennedy studied them closely, the way Garrett spoke so fondly of Lilly if Gabi asked him a question, the way he looked at her and seemed to respect and appreciate her with his body language. He had to fight a smile when he studied his sister’s face, her smile was big and genuine, and something which was a rarity lately but today it never seemed to fade. Her eyes were bright and sparkling; they were full of happiness and hope, something which he thought he would never see again.

“Hey guys there’s just something I wanna say, I know I’ve been a bit weird with you guys but it was just a shock you know? I mean I had no idea and for you two to just drop that on me I didn’t know what to say. I was an arsehole I’m sorry, looking at you two now I realise how much you two like each other and how much you enjoy each other’s company so yeah what I’m trying to say is, it’s okay.” Kennedy smiled as Lilly thanked her brother and gave him the biggest hug she could manage as a form of gratitude.