Sequel: Don't Stop Now
Status: Finished

Break Me Down

Seventeen

Lilly held on as long as she could to Garrett’s embrace because she knew letting him go would be not seeing him again for a while. The boys of The Maine were off touring overseas and although Lilly knew and understand she couldn’t go with them she still hurt a lot, these boys had been her life for so long so it was always hard seeing them go but Garrett now being her boyfriend it made everything harder.

“It will go so quick you watch, I’ve made a Skype just so we can talk so you can see my ugly face everyday still,” Garrett mumbled into Lilly’s hair but she still heard him and merely nodded a response, frightened if she spoke she would break down in floods of tears.

“Garrett, Lilly I’m sorry but we need to go.” Kennedy was standing on the bus steps sympathetically looking at the couple, over the past month and a half he really grew to love his sisters and friends relationship and was happy his sister was finally being showed the respect she deserved. Garrett gave Lilly a sweet kiss and turned to leave, not looking back scared to see Lilly’s face.

Having got the job at the nursery Lilly has at least something to preoccupy her time with so she wouldn’t spend every hour thinking about Garrett. He barely got time to creep into her head in-between the tears, tantrums and frequent bathroom accidents. All Lilly did for a few weeks was work, eat and sleep. Garrett and Lilly conversed at least once a day; sometimes twice if Garrett got internet connection to go on Skype but they talked on the phone daily usually after the show when Garrett was still excited and energetic causing Lilly to laugh every time, their conversations were sometimes cut short if Garrett went out early to meet fans but sometimes they would talk for an hour, Garrett had no regard for how big his phone bill would be. It didn’t matter to him so long as he got to speak to Lilly and hear her voice daily. Every morning without fail she would text Garrett good morning since she was up before him due to work and he would send her a sweet dreams text before he went to sleep every night. She longed for those conversations with Garrett, her heart always raced and her face broke out into a smile at the same time every day when her phone rang, their conversations made her realise how special her was to her.

Lilly walked in from work one particular Thursday feeling lethargic and wanted nothing more than a hot chocolate and a long sleep. One of the more troublesome children at work; Jacob had fallen over early in the day and was crying pretty much from that moment until the time Lilly went home, purely for the attention of course. Lilly was a very patient woman hence why working with children worked for her, she never lost her temper with the children she kept it all in until she got home and let off steam them. Lilly was so tired from the day’s events she failed to notice the letter sitting on her doormat so promptly tripped over it. She picked it up not knowing who the sender was; she opened it walking into the kitchen ready to fix some food since she didn’t get a chance to eat at all that day. Her eyebrows furrowed then widened along with her hazel orbs as she scanned the white piece of paper in her pink hands.

She couldn’t believe this, her hands were shaking and tears were threatening to fall, not from anything but anger. After all he did to her, the mess he left her in he was expecting her to visit him in his captivity because he was lonely. Lilly couldn’t help but think he wouldn’t be in there and lonely if he hadn’t done the unthinkable to her, William wanted her to visit him in jail.

All night she wondered what to do, there was so many things Lilly wanted to say to him; so many questions she needed answering and in some ways she thought facing him would give her the final closure she needed. She had come so far in her progress and in one way she felt strong enough to face him and demand these answers, on the other hand she was terrified of seeing him and slipping back. She couldn’t eat much which was funny considering food was all she could think earlier. The piece of paper stayed in front of her on the coffee table next to her laptop which made a ringing sound meaning only one thing; Garrett was calling through Skype.

“Boo!” He shouted when both he and his girlfriend were firmly in front of their respective screens, microphones attached.

“Hey G! I miss you.” Lilly pouted, her mood instantly brightening up at the sight of Garrett, the letter still hadn’t completely left her head however.

“I’ll be home before you know it. How are you?”

“Pretty much the same as every day you ask Garrett, not much has changed really.” Lilly was in two minds whether to tell Garrett or not, he would undeniably get very irritated and tell Kennedy who would get even more irritated and might go to see William just to punch him in the face.

“I’m so proud of you, you know. I mean the way you’ve come through things, you’re strong enough to not need us there all the time you’ve come such a long way. I think you can survive anything, even a zombie apocalypse!” Garrett joked adding the laugh which Lilly loved. In that moment Lilly knew what she was going to do, Garrett was right she was strong enough and she needed answers, she was going to do this.