If I Die Young

Chapter 11

After Johnny and I got back from the store, we were busy helping set up for the party. Apparently this was going to be a bigger party than Johnny and I thought. I was even more surprised when Dad said that it was going to be more formal. I mean, the guys can be classy and everything, but it's not every day that they throw a 'formal party' out of the blue.

"Did Dad tell you anything about the party?" I asked Johnny as I dusted the living room and he moved some things around.

"Not really, which was kind of weird," he said, scrunching his eyebrows together and cocking his head.

"Well look at my two little helpers, hard at work," Mom said, walking in and giving Johnny and I a glass of tea.

"So what's this party for?" I asked her, taking a break from cleaning.

She simply shrugged. "Your dad and brother just randomly wanted to have a party. Probably one of their late night ideas they had when they were drinking." And with that, she went back to the kitchen.

I stared after her in complete awe. "There is so something fishy going on here," I said, shaking my head.

"Okay, good, I wasn't the only one just thinking that," he said, chuckeling.

"Are you sure you don't know anything about this?" I asked Johnny, putting my hands on my hips and giving him a look.

He laughed, putting his hands up. "I swear, Soph! If I knew anything, I would tell you."

"They never keep anything from me. I guess that's why I'm so confused and itching to know what it is."

"Yeah, I know that feeling," he mumbled, taking a sip of his drink.

I gave him a confused look, before I realized what he was talking about. "Oh..." I muttered, frowning and going back to dusting.

"Oh, Soph... I didn't mean to upset you," he said softly, gently touching my shoulder.

"It's okay, John," I said, shrugging it off.

"Hey, look at me." He turned me around to look at him. "You know I didn't mean it to come off that way. You know I love you, Soph." He pulled me into his arms and crushed me against his chest.

"Oh, stop smothering her," Brian muttered as he walked through the living room, heading for the hall.

"Maybe he wouldn't have to if you showed me some affection," I said without thinking. He stopped momentarily without looking back, then kept walking. "God, what is up his ass lately?" I grumbled, going back to cleaning.

"Whoa there, little one," Johnny said, surprised by my language. I wasn't really one to cuss, so it always surprised them when I did.

"What? It's true!"

"I know, Soph... I know..."

Nothing else was said on the topic as we finished cleaning and getting the house set up for the party. I tried putting what was bothering me behind me and enjoy the time I had with Johnny. I honestly did feel like my feelings were developing more for Johnny every day. We've always been close, ever since he had started hanging out with the guys. But he was always that older, really good friend; not some guy I could see myself dating when I got older. Though, things really do change with time, like the way I was suddenly seeing Johnny...

About seven o'clock was when the party was soon to start. I was done getting ready, so I made my way down the stairs. The guys were all gathered around the bottom of the stairs, fixing their shirts or whatever. As soon as Johnny looked up and saw me, his jaw dropped and his eyes widened. I honestly think he was speechless. Zacky saw his face and nudged Jimmy to look at him. They both laughed, before looking up the stairs to figure out what he was oggling at.

"Damn..." Zacky muttered.

I suddenly felt heat rushing to my cheeks. "Do I look okay?" I asked, smoothing out my dress and walking down the rest of the steps.

"You look... Wow..." Johnny said, still staring.

"Dude, look at your sister," Jimmy said, slapping Brian's shoulder.

He barely glanced up before saying, "Yeah, she looks fine." He was distracted when the door opened and the girls walked in. He was by Michelle's side in no time, totally forgetting anything that was said in the last few minutes.

I shrugged, starting to walk away. Hell yeah it hurt that Brian was being like this! He was never like this towards me. Even in his teenage years he was always a great older brother. Yeah we had our tiffs here and there but it never lasted long. So I couldn't understand what I had done to make him act like this all of a sudden.

"Hey, Soph," Matt said, grabbing my hand. "You look great, hun." He gave me a smile and a reasuring squeeze to my hand. I gave him a thankful look, before walking out back.

Dad was out there, helping Matt Berry set up the DJ stuff and Mom was setting out the rest of the food. "Do you need any help?" I asked her, fixing one of the trays.

"I think we've got it all set, Sweetie. But thank you very much for all of your help today," she said, giving me a hug. "And would you get a look at that dress! When did you get that outfit?" She asked, twirling me around.

"When Johnny and I went shopping," I said, rolling my eyes. "He just insisted that I get it."

"Well, I'm glad he did."

The party went on and close friends and a few family members showed up. I still didn't understand the reason for this party. Yeah, it was a great reason to have everyone together again, but we just had a home coming party less than a week ago!

I was sitting at one of the tables when Johnny came over to me. "May I have this dance?" He asked, smiling and holding out his hand. I was taken by surprise, but I nodded as he took my hand in his.

I didn't recognize the song that was playing, but I was too caught up in the moment of being in Johnny's arms. Call it being a teenage girl in a day dream or what have you. But I really was enjoying this moment with him...

"You look gorgeous, Sophie," he said softly, gently stroking my cheek.

I looked down, feeling the heat rise into my face again. "Thank you," I muttered, biting my bottom lip.

"Hey, I really mean it, Soph," he said, lifting my chin to look him in the eyes.

"Why are you so sweet to me?" I whispered, my voice not wanting to come out any louder.

"What do you mean?" He asked, confused.

"Well, I mean I love all the guys. Their great and everything, but with you... Things are different..." I shook my head, sighing. "Nevermind, I probably sound crazy."

He simply smiled. "You're not crazy, Soph. I think I know exactly what you mean."

"Really?" I asked, surprised. He couldn't know exactly what I was thinking... That was just impossible! Maybe I really was dreaming...

Before he could say anything else, we were rudely interupted by Brian. "Don't you think you two are a little too close?" He whispered harshly as he danced with Kenna.

"Don't you think you're being a bit of an ass?" I snapped back, tired of his attitude.

"Don't you think that dress is a bit short?" He looked me up and down. "And slutty for your age." I had no words. Did Brian seriously just say that? He could be an ass at times, but never like this.

I walked away from him, trying to keep all of my emotions at bay. I didn't want to go off on him in the middle of a party and cause a scene. Instead, I walked over to where the drinks were and grabbed a cold water. I got annoyed with it when I couldn't twist the cap off. Growling, I slammed it onto the table next to me.

"Now that's not very nice, taking your anger out on a innocent water bottle," Jimmy said as him and Matt walked over.

"I couldn't get the stupid thing open," I muttered, crossing my arms over my chest. Matt simply picked up the bottle, twisted the top off, and then handed it to me. "Thank you," I mumbled, taking it from him.

"You sure you're feeling okay, Soph?" Matt asked softly, rubbing my arm.

"I'm fine," I said, giving a small smile. "Thanks again for the water." I walked away, not wanting to be questioned again, and went to stand by our little waterfall we had back here.

"Everyone, can I please have your attention!" Brian said, standing where everyone here could see him. I just ignored him, not really caring what he had to say right now. Yes, you could say I was sulking like a child, but at this moment I didn't really care. My brother was being an ass and I had no idea why.

The only thing that caught my attention and made my breath hitch was when I heard him utter the words, "Michelle, will you marry me?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Dress

Possibly one of the longest chapters I've ever written... Deserves at least a few comments.... Maybe? :)