If I Die Young

Chapter 15

As the nurse finished wrapping my hand, I kept my eyes down cast. I couldn't handle to see the overly worried and sad look on my dad's face. Of course it wasn't a good sign that my hand had broken so easily. That's right... All the tiny bones reaching from the tip of my pinky all the way up to my wrist were broken. Now I get to be stuck in a cast yet again. This raising alarm though, they sent me off for tests, and we should know the results by tomorrow.

"Alright, Sweetie you're all done," the nurse said, finishing up. "Don't forget to fill your perscription for the pain meds." Dad thanked her as he finished up the discharge papers, and we were on our way home.

The drive home was quiet. The silence was terrible, and I just wanted to get home. But, that was soon crushed when I saw a familiar car parked in the driveway.

I sighed, getting out of the car, really not wanting to go inside. Dad noticed, and wrapped his arm around my shoulders as we walked into the house. All talking in the kitchen stopped when they heard the front door open. I tried making a break for the stairs, but failed miserably when two, long arms wrapped around my waist.

"Show me the damage," Jimmy said softly, turning me around. I held up my hand to show him the purple cast. He groaned, shaking his head.

"It's not as bad as it looks," I said, shrugging.

He laughed, ruffeling my hair. "You were always so tough." Suddenly, I heard two raised voices coming from the kitchen. There was no mistaking who's they were.

"I'm kinda tired, I think I'm going to go to bed," I told Jimmy softly. He simply nodded understandingly.

After I changed into sweats and a tank, there came a soft knock on my door. "Come in," I called, folding some clothes and setting them in my dresser. Well, I was more attempting to fold clothes, still getting used to the cast. I turned to see who it was, standing still when my eyes met Johnny's. "Careful, we wouldn't want to get in trouble by my brother," I grumbled, fussing with a shirt that didn't want to work with me.

"Can we please just talk, Soph," he said softly.

"You do know that means being in the same room as me and saying more than two words at a time."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Look, I know you're mad at me, and I understand why. But, please just hear me out." I kept fighting with the shirt, not looking up. "Soph," he gently took the shirt from me and set it down, before leading me over to my bed. He sat me down, before standing infront of me. "Things have been a bit jumbled up lately, and I want to set them straight." I staid quiet, letting him know I was listening. "I know I haven't said anything about the night of the party, and I know I've been avoiding you. I'm sorry for that, I know it wasn't the right thing to do."

"Oh no, it's every girl's dream to get kissed by a great guy, then have him avoid her," I said sarcastically.

"Soph, it's not like I wanted to avoid you," he said, throwing his hands up in the air. "Things are complicated, especially with your brother."

"Don't you dare bring him into this," I said, standing up. He was shocked, and stepped back a but. "This has nothing to do with my brother, Johnny. If you kissed me just because it was an 'in the moment' kind of thing, fine. That's all you would of had to say. If you regret it, then that's also all you had to say. But avoiding me because my brother told you to? That is such chicken shit! Be a man and tell me how you really feel. Don't go running away because my brother is suddenly being an asshole." I walked away from him, needing to take a deep breath.

"Soph, wait," he said, grabbing my good hand. Before I could respond, he turned me around and pulled me into him, giving me a soft but sweet kiss. When we pulled away, I looked down at the floor, blushing like mad. Johnny lifted my chin up so I could look at him. He gave me a soft smile, stroking my cheek. "There's no way in hell that I could ever regret kissing you."

I sighed, leaning my head on his chest, and he wrapped his arms around me. "Why did things get so complicated?" I mumbled, as everything washed over me.

"I don't know, Soph... But things will get figured out." We staid quiet for a little bit, until he asked the dreaded question. "How's your hand?" I knew there was more behind the question though.

"It's alright, just a bit sore."

He paused for a minute, before he asked the question I didn't have an answer to. "Does this mean..." His voice cracked, and he cleared his throat. "Does this mean that it's... It's possibly... Back?"

I sighed, snuggling closer to him. "I don't know," I whispered.

*Brian's P.O.V.*

"How's Soph's hand?" I asked Dad as he walked into the kitchen.

"Did you really come over to see how your sister was, or spy on her?" He asked, grabbing a beer out of the fridge.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I snapped.

"You damn well know what that means!" He snapped back, slamming the bottle onto the counter. "Your sister came home in tears earlier because for some reason, you've decided to be a complete asshole lately!"

I frowned, giving him a confused look. "I have not been an asshole."

"Of course you would say that," he scoffed, shaking his head.

"If trying to protect my little sister from getting her hopes up, then fine, I guess that does make me an asshole!" I said, throwing my hands in the air.

"Getting her hopes up about what?" He asked, not knowing what I was talking about.

"Oh don't tell me you haven't seen how her and Johnny were getting all comfy and cozy."

"And? What's the problem in that?"

I looked at him as if he was insane. "He's four years older than her! He's one of my best friends and bandmates! She's my little sister! And you still don't see a problem? God forbid they were to get together. How long would that actually last? Then there's going to be an awkwardness between all of us, not to mention Soph would be devistated."

He sighed, taking a drink of his beer. "Why are you setting them up for failure when it's barely just begun? Who knows what could happen between them. Maybe you're right, things could end badly. But, that's life, Brian. Your sister has been through a lot this last year, so don't you think she deserves some happiness?"

I scoffed. "We can give her happiness. She doesn't need a relationship with Johnny to be happy."

His face suddenly showed realization. "I think I understand what the problem really is." I simply gave him a blank look. "You're not worried about things ending badly between everyone. You're jealous about Johnny taking your place in Soph's life. You can't stand the fact that you'll possibly be replaced by one of your best friends."

I suddenly felt pissed and stood up from the bar stool. "Whatever, you don't know what you're talking about."

"You need to get your head on straight, Son. And soon, before you really do lose your sister for good."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you guys so much for the comments on the last chapter! If any of you have read my other stories, you already know I have a very twisted mind. So, all of you should really expect anything to happen.