If I Die Young

Chapter 19

School started back up, and I continued on with life as normally as I could. Last year it wasn't as easy for me to keep calm, because I didn't know what this sickness entailed for me. Now that I've been through the process and sort of know what's coming, it's a little bit easier for me to cope. It was hard watching my dad though. Whenever I looked in his eyes all I could see was pain. I know he would take this illness on for me in a heartbeat, if there was a way. But I would not wish this upon anyone, not even my enemy.

"Whatcha workin' on?" Jimmy asked, walking into the kitchen. I was sitting at the bar, working on homework after school.

"Just writing an essay that's due next Friday."

"What's it about?" He asked, slinging his arm around my shoulders and looking down at the paper.

"Oh, just what I want to be when I grow up." At this point, I would get a look of empathy from people who knew about my sickness. Who was to say I would even make it to the end of my Senior year? But then again, who was to say that I won't grow old?

Jimmy didn't though, he simply just asked, "And what would that be?"

"A huge rock star like you!" I said, faking dramatics.

His eyes twinkled with happiness. "I knew you loved me more than your brother!"

I laughed, shaking my head. "Let's not go that far, Jimbo."

"Oh, right, it will be our little secret," he said, giving me a wink.

I simply shook my head. "So what brings you here?"

"I almost forgot!" He said, an obvious light bulb switching in his head. "I was sent to come recruit you. We're having a little baseball game down at the park. Zack wanted to see if you would like to come play. He practically begged." I knew the last part was just something Jimmy added for a little bit of fun.

"I think he's forgetting something," I said, holding up my wrist.

"Well, that's not your pitching hand, is it?"

"No, but how am I going to swing a bat properly?" I asked, almost amused to hear his answer.

"Eh, we won't worry about that. As long as you can pitch and catch the ball, you're good to go." He was too excited for me to tell him no.

"Okay, Jimbo let me go change." He cheered as I walked up to my bedroom. I grabbed a pair of tight yoga pants and a t-shirt.

By the time we got to the field, everyone was there. "Look who I kidnapped!" Jimmy announced proudly as we walked over to everyone.

"It's not kidnapping if she came willingly, Jimmy," Matt said, laughing and shaking his head.

"How do you know if she did or not?" Jimmy challenged.

Matt went to rebuttal him, but I put my hand on his shoulder. "Don't bother, just let him win. It will save an hour of our time," I said, chuckling. He nodded in agreement, knowing I was right.

"Now that my girl's here be prepared to get your asses handed to you," Zacky, smirked, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and smirking at the others.

"So you just automatically get dibs on me then?" I asked him, raising my eyebrow.

"Aw come on, Soph don't be like that," he said, sticking his bottom lip out.

"Now look, you have him pouting, Soph," Johnny said, laughing.

"Oh my gosh, you big baby," I sighed, trying not to laugh at his antics. "Fine, I guess I'll be on you team." He cheered, jumping up and down for a second. "So who's on which team?" I asked, looking around at our friends.

"Well, we figured you, Zacky, Jayson, Johnny, Matty, and Val." Matt said, pointing to everyone. "And then me, Jimmy, Brian, Michelle, Kenny, and Sam." I smiled, seeing Kenny and Sam, two of the techs from the studio. The guys involved them in things like this, usually to get them out of the studio. That's what I liked about them; they make friendships with anyone they come in contact with. Especially when they work with them hour at a time. They're just down to earth, want to have a good time guys.

"Let's flip a coin to see who pitches first," Matty said, taking a quarter out of his pocket. "Zacky, Matt you guys call it." He flipped the coin in the air, and Zack called Heads as Matt called Tails. "Heads it is," Matty said, as it landed.

"You ready, Soph?" Zacky asked, smiling and handing me the ball.

I took a breath and nodded. "Here goes nothin'."

"Please be careful," Brian whispered to me as he walked by. I gave him a small smile to tell him I would be.

I walked to the pitching spot, setting myself up. I held the ball in my right hand, trying to focus. It felt odd with my left wrist in a cast. I wasn't too sure how this was going to go.

"Ready when you are, Soph!" Sam called to me. I nodded my head to him and got ready.

As soon as the ball left my hand, I knew it wasn't the best pitch I've given before, but I at least made it. Sam hit it hard across the field, dropped his bat and started to run.

The game lasted for about an hour, and by the end of it, I was sore. "How are you feeling?" Johnny asked, nodding to my wrist.

"Good, just a little sore," I said, holding it close to my chest. That seemed like the safest place for it at the moment.

"I said I was sorry," Matt said, pouting. It was hilarious seeing that teddy bear pout.

"It's a miracle you didn't re-break her wrist," Val said, giving me a wink. We both knew it wouldn't have happened though.

"No, it was my fault for sliding to third." In all reality, if I hadn't, we probably would have lost the game.

"Matt's just really competitive," Zacky said, laughing.

"And you, Mister Baker?" I questioned him with my eyebrows raised.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," he said, innocently, flashing a cheesy smile.

"Yeah, okay," Jayson scoffed.

We loaded the equipment back into Zacky's car, as they all started to talk about going to have a few beers at the bar. "Hey Soph, do you wanna go grab something to eat?" Johnny asked.

"Sure, why not," I said, shrugging. "Can I go home and get cleaned up first though?"

"Of course, I wanted to do the same. I'll just drop you off at home, and you can txt me when you're ready."

When I got home, Dad was in his studio and Mom was helping Kenna with her homework in the kitchen. "Hey, Kiddo, what've you been up to?" Dad asked, poking his head out of his studio.

"Jimmy kidnapped me to go play baseball at the park with everyone." Immediately his eyes shot to my wrist. "Dad, don't worry. I'm perfectly fine, I promise."

"You know I just worry about you," he sighed, running his fingers through his hair.

"I know you do. But I promise, I'll be fine," I said, trying to give him a reassuring smile. "Now, I have to go get ready. Johnny and I are going to get a bit to eat."

His eyes shot to mine. "Oh really," he said, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Don't give me that," I laughed, shaking my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am a terrible person... I know... I'm going to try to wrap all of my stories that are almost done up, so that way I can focus on my new/more active ones. Or I may delete them, I'm not too sure yet. My creativness has been slim to none for a long time now, but I hope it's starting to come back.
I'll post another chapter today if you guys let me know what you think