If I Die Young

Chapter 26

"Let's sneak out," I whispered into Johnny's ear as I sat on his lap. We were all sitting around the fire that Dad had made a few hours ago, and just enjoying each other's company.

Johnny looked at me with raised eyebrows. "And do what?" He asked, chuckling softly.

I simply shrugged. "I don't know, we can find something to do."

"You're the one that invited everyone over tonight, Soph... Don't you think you should stick around?"

I looked around at everyone, all of them engrossed in their own conversations. "They won't miss us. They're all having a good time on their own, that was the plan after all," I said, pecking his cheek. "No, come on, before they see," I whispered, slipping off his lap and sending him a wink.

We quickly slipped back into the house, before making a break for the front door. "Where are we going?" Johnny laughed as we ran down the street.

"The pier?" I suggested, and we headed off in that direction.

"What brought on this sudden change, Soph?" He asked softly as we walked through the sand.

"I told you... I just want to live. I don't want to hurt, I don't want to be sick, I don't want to be upset... I want to make the most of my life, no matter how much more time I have left..."

He frowned down at the sand, staying quiet. I pulled him to a stop, making him look up at me. "I don't want you to be upset, either. I'm not putting on this happy facade just to make myself feel better, Johnny. I'm doing it for everyone else as well. There's no sense in grieving for me when I'm still here, right in front of you all."

He laced both of our hands together, stepping in front of me and laying his forehead on mine. "No matter how much I try to put it to the back of my mind... I still know that one day you won't be here anymore... And none of us know when that will be, so it makes it even harder. It's like were just waiting..."

"Waiting for me to die," I said, finishing for him. "I don't want you to think like that. I know it's hard, but just throw it aside and have fun with me? Please. Make this the best time of my life."

He stared at me for a few seconds, before smiling and kissing the tip of my nose. "Anything for you."

I smiled, before taking his hand and dragging him towards the pier. "Come on!"

"Now what are you up to?" He asked, laughing as he trailed behind me.

"Something that I've been wanting to do..." I looked around to make sure there was no one around us, before carefully pulling myself up onto the railing of the pier. As I started to balance on the railing, Johnny's eyes went wide in fear.

"What the hell are you doing?!" He gasped, reaching out to me.

I smiled down at him, stroking his cheek. "I'm letting go and being free," I said, throwing my arms into the air.

"You're being fucking crazy! Get down here before you get hurt!" I could tell he was panicking, but I didn't want to get down.

"I'm fine, Babe," I said, before walking further down the railing.

"Jesus Christ... Please be careful!" He sighed as he walked along beside me.

"It's almost like you're flying," I whispered, feeling a slight breeze pass through. His eyes never left me, his arms slightly held out as if he was ready to catch me in case I suddenly fell.

He was about to respond, when someone suddenly yelled at us from the end of the pier. A light was shinning towards us, and Johnny noticed the uniform.

Before I could even think, I suddenly jumped from the railing, grabbing Johnny's hand and running towards the other end of the pier. Luckily it was towards the way we had come from, so we could easily ditch the cop.

"What the hell are thinking, Soph?!" Johnny yelled, as we continued to run.

"Just thought I'd keep the fun going," I said, smiling at him as we kept running. Much to my dismay, the Cop's partner had been waiting on the side of the pier, catching us off guard.

As the cops put the handcuffs on our wrists, I couldn't say that I felt scared or worried... I had felt an adrenaline rush running away from them, not having a care in the world.

"All I was going to say was to get off the railing and to be careful, you know," the cop said, as he put us in the back of the cop car. "But, since you decided to run from us, we have no choice to take you in. You can call someone to pick you guys up from there."

Just before he closed the door, I decided to press my luck. "Hey, do you have a cigarette?" He simply gave me a firm, yet shocked look, before closing the door.

Suddenly, Johnny started busting up next to me. "Really, Soph? You don't even smoke."

"I know," I said, shrugging. "But his face was priceless."

"Yeah, it was..." He sighed, before resting his head back. "Your dad is so going to kill me..."

"No he won't, I'll just tell him it was my idea. Besides, I wouldn't let him kill you," I said, giving him a soft smile.

*Johnny's P.O.V.*

All I could think about when she gave me that smile, was that I was so madly in love with this girl...
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was inspired by Cop Car by Sam Smith. I thought it was cute and little more light hearted. Starting to feel a little blocked on this story... I know how I want to end it, and I've already started writing the ending... Just not too sure how to get there, and I don't want to drag it along. So, sorry if updates are a little slow past this point /: