If I Die Young

Chapter 6

We were spending another day at the beach, since it was so relaxing for us yesterday. A few of the girls and I were randomly talking, when one question was brought up. “So, Soph, any cute boys?” Val asked slyly.

Brian chocked on his drink and looked at her with wide eyes. “Val! I so don’t’ want to hear that.”

I laughed. “Don’t worry, Bri, there’s no boy.”

“Why not?” Val pouted while Brian gave a sigh of relief.

“Because, who would want to date the sick girl?” I said, rolling my eyes. She’s mental, she has to be.

“Oh please, guys should be lining up around the block for you,” Johnny said, grabbing a beer and I looked at with a questioning look. He looked back and noticed I was looking at him. “What?” He asked, confused.

I just shook my head. “Nothing.”

“So are you going back to school for Senior year, or are you taking it on-line?” Matt asked.

“I’m going back to school for sure. I don’t think I’d be able to handle on-line classes. I was cooped up too long during chemo. I just about went crazy.”

“Are you sure your immune system is strong enough to go back?” Brian asked, frowning.

“Don’t worry, I already talking to the doctor and he said I would be okay. I’m just going to need to take a few extra vitamins is all.” He gave me a look saying that he wasn’t totally sold on it. “Brian Elwin Haner Jr., do not give me that look!” I scolded.

“How can you tell me-”

“Look, I’ve got it under control and handled. Now it’s your turn to handle it without driving me crazy.” With that said, I stood up and went out to the water.

The weather was perfect, and the water was warm. It was a great day to be out. “You know he just cares about you.” I was shocked when I heard Johnny’s voice.

I turned to look at him and smiled. “I know he just cares. I only wish he would just show it in another way.”

“It’s your brother, do you really think he’s going to take this lightly?”

“Well I hope he will, for me at least.”

“Once he notices how you’ve dealt with it, he’ll probably settle down.”

“I hope so.”

“Hey, I thought we came out here to have fun?”

I gave him a confused look. “Well, yeah…”

“Exactly!” He said, grinning.

“What are you-” but before I could finish my sentence, I was being thrown over his shoulder. “Johnny!” I shrieked.

“Having fun yet?” He asked, spinning in circles. I just laughed, holding onto him.

“You’re suck a dork!” I said, holding onto his back even tighter.

“I am not a whales penis!”

“Are you sure about that?” Jimmy called out.

“Fuck you!” Johnny yelled back after stopping to glare at him.

“Guys! There are children’s ears out here!” Michelle scolded.

“Sorry! Hey, Soph, cover Johnny’s ears!”

I couldn’t help but laugh hysterically. “Oh, you think that’s funny, huh?” Johnny said. “Let’s see if you think this is funny!” I was suddenly laying in the sand as Johnny tickled my sides mercilessly.

“Okay, I think she’s turning blue!” Matt called out.

Johnny stopped and fell down next to me. He turned his head to look at me and started laughing. “I’ve missed hanging out with my Sophie.”

“I’ve missed you, too,” I said, smiling softly. “And whoever said laughter was the best medicine was so right.”

“Well, I’m glad I could help.” He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him.

My stomach suddenly erupted in butterflies. Yes, unfortunately, I’ve had a huge crush on Johnny for a while now. I don’t know what started it, but ever since I was about twelve is when I really started noticing how cute he was.

“Guys, we’re going to head back,” Michelle said, coming over to us.

How long had we been laying here? “Oh, okay,” I said, standing up. I went to my bag and was about to pull my tank on, when I noticed how uncomfortable my skin felt. I looked at my arms and groaned. “How the hell did I get burnt so fast?”

“Because your as pale as Casper,” Johnny said, looking me over. “Here, this is probably better than your tank right now,” he said, handing me his shirt.

“Thanks,” I gave him a small smile.

“Do you want me to grab you some aloe on our way home, Soph?” Brian asked, frowning.

“No, it’s okay, we have some at home.”

He frowned. “You sure?”

“Yeah, Dad fell asleep in the backyard one day. It wasn’t pretty…”

We were walking to the cars when Johnny nudges me. “Wanna ride with me?”

I smiled. “Yeah, sure.”

When I was about to get into Johnny’s car, Brian spoke up. “You’re going with Johnny?” He asked, confused.

I shrugged. “Yeah, is that okay?”

He just pouted. “Oh, get over it, you big baby,” Michelle laughed, pushing him towards his car, and winked at me as I laughed.

“Why is my brother so weird?”

He thought about it for a second. “Probably because of your dad>“

I nodded, thinking about it. “That’s very true.”

The whole ride back home we talked about random things. It was so easy talking to Johnny, I loved it. I could tell him things that I couldn’t’ tell Brian. They weren’t things that I wanted to keep from him, it would just be awkward talking to him.

Johnny was the first one to know about my first boyfriend. I confided in him through the whole thing. He always helped me with boy problems, when he was on the road. He was just that kind of guy which mad me like him so much more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Clothes