Worse Than Death

The End of Something Special

There are worse ways to be parted than by death.

When a friend or a relative dies, it is one of life’s worst experiences. And yet, even though they’re gone, you are left knowing that it wasn’t their choice, that they died caring about you, loving you, and always wanting the best for you.

When someone you love - be it friend, family, or anyone special - chooses to walk away because life turns out in such a way they did not expect, it can be so much worse. With harsh suddenness you realize that the closeness, the concern, the friendship was all one-sided. Walking away from problems, rather than working through them, is a habit they picked up long ago, and you know that. Yet you never expected, after all the sleepless nights, tears, concern, and trying to be the greatest friend you could be, that it would be you they choose to walk away from, as if your friendship and the happy years together meant nothing.

And as you watch them walk away, it is a piece of you who dies. The tears and sleepless nights take on a whole new meaning. Except now you’re alone to deal with them, something you tried to make sure that the other would never have to go through.

Yes, there are worse ways to be parted than by death.
♠ ♠ ♠
In no way am I trying to undermine the death of someone special. I know how much it hurts. However, this year I went through something I never thought would happen, and now several months later, I guess this is a reflection of sorts.