Your Heart's Too Weak to Wear on Your Sleeve

Stop And Let Me Breathe

"C'mon Nick, walk over to Mama!"

Danny held up his fourteen month old son's hands and guided him over to Ana's open arms. Nick giggled with happiness as he fell into her embrace while Danny and Timmy clapped. Seth, Joe, and Heather lay about six feet away against a tree, resting in the cooler area of the park.

"Nick sure is learning fast," said Heather. She was laying back against Joe's chest while Seth played with her hair. Seth nodded in agreement and stood up, dusting off his pants.

"I'll leave you two lovers alone. Who else is going to influence Nick's musical taste?"

Their long haired hippie best friend joined the small group that surrounded Nick, leaving the couple alone.

Things had gone rather well since Nick's birth. The baby was growing at a healthy pace, as was Heather and Joe's relationship. They had learned from their three month silence and were careful not to say the wrong thing to one another [or get too drunk].

"Joey?"

"Mmm?" he replied, while running his fingers through her raven hair.

"I'm worried."

"About what babe?"

"What if it happens again? I don't want another mistake like before to happen and us stop speaking to each other again. I love you Joe. I don't want to lose you again."

Joe's hand moved down her arm to her hand, where he ran his finger over the silver ring he'd had made for her.

"What's this dollface?"

"The ring you gave me."

"And what did I get engraved in it?"

"For all the sweet tomorrows."

He kissed the top of her head and resumed playing with the hair Seth had abandoned. "And that's how long we'll be together. Promise."

"You know, if you weren't so damn adorable I wouldn't trust you so easily."

"You love it."

"Yeah," said Heather, leaning up to kiss Joe on the mouth, "I guess I do."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pleasant smells wafted from the kitchen as the occupants of the house began to settle around the dining room table. Upon arriving home, Heather, in her state of content [with a hint of giddiness], declared she would make dinner. She was currently occupied with said task when Joe walked in and hopped up onto the counter next to her.

"I love you."

Heather rolled her bright eyes and continued stirring the wooden spoon in the saucepan in front of her. "Why, thank you for clearing that up for me Joe, I never would of guessed."

He slid off the counter and pecked her on the cheek, hugging her from behind. She turned so that she was facing him. "Joey?"

He leaned down nuzzled against her neck. "I really mean it dollface. You mean everything to me. I was a-thinkin' that maybe you and I should get a place together. What do you think?"

Heather trailed her fingers across Joe's cheekbones and smiled.

"Hey you two, stop having kitchen sex or whatever! I need nourishment."

The lover's rolled their eyes at Timmy's comment and Heather went back to stirring the wooden spoon, Joe with his arms around her waist. "Let's see, a place all our own, where we can do as we please and run around nekked if we want to? Yes, yes I believe that would do nicely."