Sequel: I'm Not Insane
Status: COMPLETE :O

Nightmare

Buried Alive

Dream/Flashback Continued...

That night Matt lay on his back, staring at the ceiling of the small room, which he had already come to think of as being some sort of prison cell. He didn’t know what time is was, there was no clock in the room. However, it hadn’t been long after lights out when he could hear muffled sobs coming from the bunk below him. At first he had tried to ignore it, but when they didn’t stop he finally caved. “Brian? You okay?” he hadn’t really expected an answer, so he was surprised when he got a quiet response, and had to lean over the edge to hear better.

“Why’d he die? It wasn’t Brian’s fault. Brian’s a good boy. It was the man in the window...” he rambled, still crying heavily into his pillow.

Matt was, unsurprisingly, at a loss for words. “...I’m sure it was an accident...? I think you should probably just get some sleep.”

Brian didn’t say anything else, he just continued to sob.

***

The following morning Matt was not in a good mood, having had next to no sleep the previous night. His day did not improve when Dr. Baker arrived to tell him that the “program” wouldn’t start for another three days.

“Then why the fuck am I even here?” he snapped. “I could have gone home until you were ready for this fucking stupid thing to even start.”

“Temper, temper, Mr. Sanders. I know this must be frustrating, but we’re a little behind schedule. Think of it this way, this gives you more time to get to know your...new friends...” he glanced over at Brian who was sitting in the corner, knees drawn up to his chest, slowly rocking back and forth.

Matt scoffed. “I don’t see us becoming very good friends. How about I’ll just come back once you’re ready for me?”

“I’m sorry, but once you’re registered here, you can’t leave until your program is complete. I’ll see you in a couple days.” Zack turned to leave.

“You can’t do this! I can call a fucking lawyer and be out of here by the end of the day! I’ll -”

“No, actually, you can’t.” he handed Matt a two blue pills. “Here, take these.”

“Not fucking likely.” Matt crossed his arms and glared.

The doctor sighed. “You always need to make things difficult, don’t you?” he put the pills back in his pocket before gesturing to someone in the hall, and a moment later two large security guards appeared in the doorway. “Secure him, please, I’ll be right back.”

A few minutes later when Zack reappeared holding a needle, Matt was being held down in the chair. “You’re a fucking lunatic, when I get out of here -”

“You’ll be cured, like so many others before you.” Dr. Baker said cheerfully, inserting the needle into Matt’s arm. Brian watched the entire scene, but didn’t move an inch. “Don’t worry, this’ll just put you to sleep. No doubt with him as a roommate, you’ll need the extra hours.” he voice gained a sharp edge as he referred to the silent man in the corner. “Until next time, Mr. Sanders.”

Matt tried to retort, but his vision was already going hazy. He was unconscious before the doctor had even locked the door behind him.

***

On his fourth night at the center, Matt had finally had enough of everything. Unfortunately though, there wasn’t much he could do about his situation. He had quickly learned if he said or did something that wasn’t “approved” of, he’d earn a quick stab from a needle and wake up in his room several hours later. Not being used the lack of control, he was quickly becoming irritated with everything and everyone, and most of all with his roommate.

“For Christ’s sake, just shut the fuck up!” he finally yelled, Brian’s quiet sobs erasing what little patience he had left. When his outburst did nothing to silence the man, Matt swung his legs over the edge of the bunk and jumped down. Being ignored was another thing he definitely wasn’t used to.

He ripped the blankets off Brian’s bed before grabbing the man’s shirt and pulling him into a semi-sitting position. “Listen up you little shit, I’m fucking sick of you already. Man the fuck up! What the hell is your problem, anyway?”

Brian didn’t answer, or even look at Matt. He stared down at his lap, silent tears still trailing down his face.

Tightening his grip on Brian’s shirt, Matt hissed, “Say something!” When he still received no reply, or any reaction at all, his temper finally snapped. He let go of Brian with one hand, and punched him hard across the face. Brian’s head snapped backwards from the force, but otherwise he didn’t move or make a sound.

Not knowing what else to do, and having taken out much of his frustration with that one hit anyway, Matt let go of him. He even felt a little guilty for hitting a guy who was so obviously “not all there”. “I don’t know what the hell happened to you, pal, but I think you need to stop being such a fucking pussy. When a guy punches you, it pretty much gives you permission to hit him back, you know?”

Brian didn’t look at him, but carefully reached a hand up to his eye, which was already starting to swell. “Brian keeps his hands to himself.” he whispered.

Matt sighed, feeling rather exasperated. “Yeah, I’ve heard.” he climbed back up to his bed and lay down, feeling worse about what he’d done with every passing moment. After awhile though, he noticed that the room was silent; there was no more crying coming from the lower bunk. With the idea of a good night’s sleep in mind, his guilt quickly faded to the back of his mind as unconsciousness took over.

***

The next morning signaled the return of Dr. Baker, who arrived at their room bright and early. As far as Matt could tell, anyway. He really didn’t have a clue as to what time it was.

“Have a little problem last night?” the doctor asked, gesturing at Brian’s bruised eye, which was almost swollen shut.

“I got a little carried away is all...” Matt said, uncharacteristically compliant in the doctor’s presence as feelings of guilt came flooding back. “I just wanted to get some sleep...” he knew how lame it sounded even as he said it.

But Zack just shrugged. “I’m sure he deserved it.” he shot Brian a rather disgusted look, who either didn’t notice or didn’t care. “Anyway, let’s go and discuss your treatment.” Confused, Matt followed him down the hall.

A couple minutes later Matt found himself in another office. “You have your own place here too?” he asked, sitting down.

“Considering I own this facility, it’s fitting that I have an office here as well, Mr. Sanders.” the doctor also sat down behind the desk.

“Why am I not surprised...” Matt muttered under his breath before speaking up. “What happened to the first-name basis, Doc?”

Zack grinned widely at him. “You’d like us to be? I was under the impression you weren’t fond of the idea.”

“I honestly don’t give a shit. I was just curious.” before the doctor could reply he continued. “So, what’s the story with Brian anyway?”

The smile dropped off Zack’s face, and it was quickly replaced with a scowl. “Nothing to concern yourself with. He killed the man he shared a house with, claimed he didn’t afterwards, and subsequently lost his mind. He avoided the death penalty because of that, but I doubt he’ll ever be reintegrated into the rest of society. He’s a lost cause, through and through.”

Matt looked a little disturbed. “You’re having me stay with a homicidal lunatic?”

“He’s harmless now, I assure you. However, feel free to...defend yourself, if the need ever presented itself.” the doctor said easily, shrugging.

“There was no need to 'defend myself' last night.” Matt found himself saying. “He didn’t really do anything.”

“We’ll let it slide, Matthew. You were provoked, that’s all there is to it. Now, about your program...”

***

Later that evening, Johnny stopped by to talk to Matt. “I think you’re in for a surprise.”

“Oh?” Matt said absently, turning the page of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. “And what might that be?”

Johnny leaned on the doorframe. “Rachel’s not here tonight.”

“Who the fuck is Rachel?”

“A nurse on the night shift. She hands out the evening medications. I was asked to do it for her, but frankly, I don’t feel much up to it tonight.” Johnny was grinning slightly.

“What do I care? And hold on...why the hell would they put you in charge of something like that anyway?” Matt put his book down.

Johnny shrugged. “It doesn’t matter why. Anyway, like I said. Your night could be very...informative. Catch ya later.” With that he was gone again. Matt stared at the door for a moment before picking the book up again.

“Yeah, whatever...”

***

Hours later Matt was almost asleep when he felt a tap on his shoulder. Years in Iraq had taught him to wake up quickly, and sitting up too fast he nailed his head on the ceiling. “Fuck...” he glanced over to see Brian standing beside the bed, a peculiar look on his normally expressionless face.

“Sorry. Didn’t mean for that to happen...” he said, sounding more coherent than he had in the entire time Matt had known him.

“Sure, no worries. Uh...did you need something?” Matt asked slowly, not sure what to think about the current situation, and remembering what Zack had told him earlier.

Brian looked him straight in the eye. “I didn’t do it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, thank you for reading. :)

Dare I even ask, read and review?