Status: Growing

My Life Unplanned

A Night to Remember

It was a night to remember for all the wrong reasons.

I stared at my shoes, clicking the heels together absentmindedly as my mother fiddled with my slinky brown hair. She pulled the curler through it, burning the pieces into thousands of tiny ringlets to adorn the top of my head in a high pony-tail style.

She said it would look perfect only when the Homecoming Queen’s crown was nestled into the curls. My mother didn’t doubt that I would be awarded with the tremendous honor, why wouldn’t? I was the perfect Rosalind Turkonowi, everyone loved me.

My mother rested her soft palms on my bare shoulders, rubbing circles comfortingly. I sucked in a deep breath and she laughed, her breath tickling the sensitive hairs on my neck. “You look so beautiful, Rosie.” She cooed and I lifted my head to finally look at the young woman my mother had created. Me.

I wanted to gasp, but I couldn’t; I had to be modest. I pressed my lips together, but I couldn’t help but smile. I did look beautiful, thanks to my mother.

My curls trickled off my head like a waterfall; two framed my face cutely making me look like a pixie and the glitter around my eyes made me look like a princess. My face was porcelain smooth without a single blemish thanks to the magic powder she had spread on my cheeks and my lips were spread with a thin pink gloss that made them shine brightly under the tiny purple lights in my bedroom.

My dress was made of a magnificent plum silk with a glittery sequined chest that made my too blue eyes appear to be tinted violet.

I was very surprised that my mother had chosen this dress herself, it barely brushed the tops of my kneecaps, making the goose bumps rise on the exposed flesh of my legs. When I asked her about it, she merely laughed and told me “you have to have fun, Rosie,” as she slid her red credit card across the counter to pay for the luxurious article.

I met my counterpart’s eyes in the shiny glass one last time and turned, kissing my mother on the cheek. “Thank you, mom, I love you.” I told her and she smiled, hugging me gently.

“I love you too, my beautiful Rose.”

….............................................

I love the color purple for many reasons. Purple is mysterious and majestic, powerful and passionate, the wondrous child of scarlet passion and cobalt depression. Kami thinks that if I could, I would tan my skin purple. Hey, maybe I would.

Everything in my room was coated in either lavender silk or amethyst jewels, a royal wonderland with a golden trim all around the edges.

My room was nothing in comparison to the Richmond High School Gymnasium at the Homecoming Dance.

I could feel my eardrums thumping as I clenched my thumbs deeper inside the holes, wincing. Kami tugged on my naked arm, making the bracelets stacked on my wrists jingle excitedly.

“DANCE!” She ordered, wiggling her waist as a few boys watched. I felt my cheeks grow roses and I shook my head, eyeing the sparkly silver of my baby heeled shoes.

“ROSIE!” She whined, weaving her fingers through her messy natural curls, throwing them around suggestively. Kami swung her hips, slipping on a dirty smile as she looked at me. “Let’s attract some mates,” she giggled.

Kami was a strange person. She called everyone human and talked about people like they were some science experiment. She always had a logical answer for everything and tended to speak in tongues most of her life, always rattling off about some new news story or discovery. She loved math and science and everything logical and exciting. She was practically a genius; A sexy, provocative, boy-crazy genius.

Kami slinked her way across the Gym to Michael, her on and off boyfriend of three years. He was also the crush of her younger sister, Barbie, who was a freshman like me. But Kami didn’t care about Barb, she only cared about herself.

Barbie Baker was sitting in the corner of the gym in a cheap white plastic chair the PTSA had set up, talking with three of her girlfriends, oblivious to her sister’s deceit.

I watched her secretly with pity. She looked pretty tonight. She had her soft golden ringlets straightened for the occasion, and her body was outlined perfectly in a moon blue dress. But Kami had already stolen any hope Barb had of being the apple of Michael’s eye with her plump breasts and flirtatious smile. Poor, Barbie.

She was my friend, even more so than Kami being that she was in my grade and I usually talked to her all the time. My dad was actually supposed to drive us both here. But for some reason I didn’t want to ride with Barbie. I wanted to come on my own, to prove I was an adult. I wanted to prove to my daddy I didn’t need a chaperone to watch me.

I approached Barbie cautiously, growing a worn smile as I got closer and Barbie’s blue eyes met mine, making her face split from excitement. She jumped from her seat, running to me and I braced myself for her hug as she jumped me. “Hey Rosie!” She burst and I laughed as we embraced.

I looked back to her sister, Kami, who was grinding nastily against Michael and I shook my head sadly. Barbie looked past me toward her sister and her smile instantly fell.

“It’s ok, Barbs…it’s just a boy.” I told her and she nodded though I could tell there was water in her eyes. I hugged her again and she turned to me with a giant plastic smile lining her face.

“Let’s dance.” She choked and I agreed, leading her out onto the dance floor. We bobbed up and down with the crowd, mostly just jumping and swaying and after a while I actually found that I was enjoying myself. This was fun.

I smiled brightly, looking to Barbie as she danced around, her sparkly pink dress clashing with the green strip in her golden hair. She was a princess of destruction as she twirled around like a hapless tornado.

“Barbie…” I growled, trying to hold her down and she blushed nervously, eyeing someone across the room. I looked behind my shoulder at who she was looking at and I froze.
“Do you want to dance?” I blinked twice, like a camera lens, to focus on the boy in front of me who seemed to be some kind of mirage. Was it possible for any boy to ask meto dance?

He was kind of cute. He had a boyish grin that pulled up one side, a dimple, and straight teeth. His skin was the color of brown sugar, his hair was chocolate and I nearly swam in his coffee eyes. Why did I not know his name?

“Um…” I muttered nervously staring from his eyes to the floor. “Ok?” I garbled and he leaned forward, his eyebrows crunched together. I nodded instead so he would understand and his face split into a grin as he took my hand rather tightly.

“I’ll see you soon, Barbs.” I told her as this strange boy pulled me away and Barbie nodded. I looked to the clock behind her head; it was already 9:05. My dad would be coming in less than half an hour anyway. Barbie wouldn’t mind.

My heart jumped into my throat as I blushed and the boy smiled back at me, squeezing my hand. Then as he found a spot in the dead center of the dance floor, he started to dance. My eyes popped to saucers slightly as he waddled like a penguin, swaying his arms. I pressed my lips together to keep from giggling and I instead took notice of his clothes.

He was wearing a pair of dark jeans that hung loosely on his hips and a black shirt with a purple tie. I smirked, cocking my head and he raised his eyebrows. He wanted me to dance too.

Now I panicked. I looked to Barbie who was watching me with trained assassin eyes and her lips grew as thin and as curved as a can’s sharp edge. She nodded her head vigorously telling me to dance with him and I looked back to the boy uncertainly.

I didn’t know how to dance. “Um…” I mumbled, nearly palming myself. Was that all I was capable of…two letter words? I started waddling from foot to foot lightly like some sort of retarded penguin, blushing embarrassed as he laughed at me.

The boy then put his hand on one of my hips, turning me around. I swallowed my heart and he placed his hands on my waist from behind, slowly swaying me.

I felt my heart pitter to a start once more and I moved with him, doing what he instructed me and I glanced up at Barbs. She looked excited, giving me the thumbs up. Neither of us has had dates before, neither of us has ever danced with a boy before. I bit my lip and grinned, proud of myself for being the first.

The boy moved closer. It felt like the room had heated at least a hundred degrees in the last second. I was sweating and I hoped I didn’t stink. I wished they would turn on the air conditioners. Oh right, we can’t do that because it would cost too much money and that would only add to the deficit America has already slipped into.

I groaned aloud and suddenly I felt the boy’s arms wrap entirely around my waist, mistaking the angry noise for a moan of acceptance. Now I was entirely self-conscious and my morals kicked in as I tried to push the boy back. He was reluctant at first but then he backed off and I gave him questioning eyes.

“I don’t even know your name.” I mumbled and he smiled slightly, the edges of his lips tilting.

“Cody…we have second period together.” He informed me and I nodded my head, pretending I knew that already and I faked a smile. “You’re Father Turkonowi’s daughter, right?” He asked me and I nodded, blushing as I tucked one of my curls behind my ear. “I go to your church. I love your father’s sermons, they are amazingly inspiring.” Cody went on breathlessly and I felt my lips spread wider and wider, feeling a bubbling feeling grow in my stomach.

“Thank you, I’ll be sure to tell him that. Maybe I’ll see you Monday?” I asked him and his brows came together. “Wednesday…” I asked again and he laughed.

“I only go Sundays.” He said and I tucked my chin, laughing nervously.

“Oh…I go 3 times a week.” I told him, slightly embarrassed. I knew no one else went to church as much as me. I would go every day if Father would let me, but he says it is important that I be a normal teenager while I’m in High School. I am only a freshman after all.

“Do you want a drink?” Cody asked me unexpectedly and I pursed my lips, shuddering.

“I don’t drink.” I told him sternly, rubbing my arm. He may go to my church, but he doesn’t seem like a very good influence. I should have Father speak to him.

“Punch?” He tried yelling over the music and I laughed.

“I’m not going to punch you.” I told him, shaking my head and he laughed too.

“No I meant the…grape punch.” He said, pointing to the classic giant glass bowl on the far off lunch table. I snorted.

“Even the food is purple…” I muttered and Cody laughed with me. I smiled at him, glad he liked my sense of humor and we made our way over to the table.

Cody poured me a drink in a typical red and white plastic cup and I shook my head. “I hate grape.” I told him and he shrugged, taking a big gulp. I watched him nervously. I lied to him and I felt awful. I loved grape. Grape soda was practically the only thing I would drink if Father let me. He said it was bad for me, but it was so delicious. I licked my lips just watching the little tear of purple soda sliding down his chin.

Truthfully, I wanted to see if anyone spiked it. My mother warned me someone might, but he looked fine so I decided to take a drink. Then another…and another…and another.

“Whoa girl, I thought you said you hated grape.” Cody whispered slyly and I blushed, nearly snorting the soda through my nose at him.

“I was tired…from all the dancing.” I lied again, my face sprouting entire rose bushes now and Cody shook his head.

“You were sitting in the corner with Barbie Baker half the time.” He informed me, as if I forgot and I bit my lip, smiling slightly and Cody smiled back then…he kissed me.

I jerked backward, feeling my smeared lip gloss with my finger and Cody’s face turned red. “Sorry,” he mumbled, covering his mouth with both hands and I dropped my chin.

“It’s ok…” I looked back up at him shyly when he kissed me again. This time I took two full steps backwards, turning my back. “Please don’t kiss me again, I have a boyfriend.” I lied to him, looking away at the clock. It was 9:20. My eyes shot open.

“No, you don’t. You’ve never had one. You made a promise you wouldn’t have one until you graduated High School, but everyone knows you’ll break it.” Cody mumbled in my ear, his breath hot and I shimmied away from him.

“Please…I have to go home. My dad said he was going to pick me up at 9:30.” I told him, honest this time, and Cody grabbed my wrist.

“Liar. You’ve been lying to me all night; you always blush when you lie.” He cursed and I felt tears in my eye from the stress of being around him. I felt endangered. He wasn’t even doing anything, but something about him set me off. I felt like a tiny bunny being eyed by a ravenous fox.

“No, I swear I’m not lying. My dad never wanted me to come to this stupid dance; he said I was too young. So he’s making me leave early.” I whispered, humiliated that I had to explain myself to him and he just grinned.

“You’re not too young for anything, Rosie.” Cody cooed and I noticed for the first time the glazed look in his eyes. His hold on my wrist grew tighter and I looked around him frantically trying to find Barbie in the crowd, it seemed I lost her. I began to freak out and I realized I was slightly edgy, I needed to calm down.

I spent all night with Barbie practically, what were a few minutes with this boy? Dad would probably be late anyway…I justified and I took another drink of the punch clenched in my hand.

I groaned, rubbing my forehead as spikes of pain drove through my brain. “Head-ache?” Cody asked me and I nodded, sending more torture spinning through. I gritted my teeth. “Do you want a head massage?” He asked and I laughed, shaking my head.

“Let’s get some air.” Cody told me and I nodded, that sounded like a good idea. Cody started pulling me toward the back of the school and I shook my head, pointing a limp finger to the front.

“My dad is picking me up in a lil’ bit, let’s go to the front.” I told him and Cody laughed.
“This way is faster.” He told me and my eyebrows came together.

“No its not…that way is.” I said pointing again and Cody laughed, looking curiously toward where I was pointing.

“That’s a wall…” He informed me obnoxiously and I followed my finger with my eyes, staring at the wall incredulously.

“How did that get there?” I demanded, infuriated and Cody laughed, just tugging me along more fervently.

“I don’t know…” He told me and I rolled my eyes as he pushed open the red door. The noise of the dance disappeared behind me.

“CODY!” I heard someone scream and I jumped out of my skin, glaring towards the offending loud voice. I grasped my skull, groaning loudly and I watched as a man approached us.

He smiled at me in the darkness and I could see he was clearly drunk; his eyes were blurred and baggy and a crooked smile showed off his shipped front teeth. He had cropped black hair and a slight mustache that was as thin as a cigarette on his lip. He terrified me just by his demeanor and he smelled heavily of alcohol, sweat, and marijuana.

“Manuel” Cody greeted him, dropping my wrist to stand in front of me. He staggered in his stance and I could see nothing and I tried to push past him to look at this Manny man. I snorted to myself and Manuel turned to glare at me.

“Who is this?” He asked, his voice deep, sending spiders crawling down my spine. I nearly choked on my own spit.

“A friend, just a friend.” Cody answered sluggishly and I frowned into the ground, stomping my foot.

“He kissed me, twice!” I informed the strange man, meeting his steely black eyes and I gulped, pulling away.

“Is that the stupid Christian bible thumper Rosie Turkonowi?” Manuel asked and my eyes widened as I shook my head back and forth, hiding my face in Cody’s shirt.

“I’m not a bible thumper, I’m a bible reader you lard face!” I moaned into Cody’s back and Manuel grabbed my arm, tearing me away from Cody.

“Manuel…” Cody reprimanded his voice just above a whisper and I felt my heart thudding in my throat as Manuel pulled me an inch from his face, his lips splitting into a dastardly grin. I felt my whole body start to tremble and in between my legs grew wet.

I clenched my knees together, determined not to look like a baby as I fought to meet his eyes and he grabbed my shoulders, pushing me into the earth like some kind of giant predator.

“She’s kind of cute.” Manuel complimented and I felt my eyes whell up from the sting of the alcohol in them and he leaned closer. He reeked. I held my breath and his thumb brushed harshly across my eyelid, smearing my glitter. My mouth opened to complain and he put his dirty finger in his mouth, tasting the glitter.

His eyes never left my face. I felt a sudden tremor of fear wave through me.

“She’s just a little kid, Manuel. I can find you someone else. I was just taking her out to meet her dad.” Cody stood up for me, his voice quiet and Manuel peeked a look at him.

“Isn’t she hot Cody? Don’t you wanna fuck this little virgin?” Manuel growled harshly and tears slipped down my face. I only knew one thing in my intoxicated state and it was that I needed to get away, fast.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is based off of true events I do not own any of these people (I have used actual names including Cody, Manuel, Barbie, and Kami) except for Rosalind since the original victum was never named or identified. I am fictionalizing these events to get my point across the bases of all the actions that follow are true, it pains me to say.

COMMENT/SUBSRIBE