Trainwreck

Dreaming

"Cassandra, c'mere."

She turns and smiles at me, her petite blonde form making its way over to me. "What is it Pouyan?"

I run my fingers through her hair. That gorgeous hair, smooth as cornsilk, and the exact same color. Cassandra is the love of my life. I couldn't ask for a better wife. "Nothing. I just felt the need to once again express how much I love you."

Cassandra rolls her eyes at me and kisses the tip of my nose. "As much as I absolutely adore you and your cuteness, we really should get to bed Pouyan."

Honestly, I don't want to. I just want to stand here with her in my arms. Everything just feels more than perfect. But I nod and follow her to the bedroom. The covers are all warm and I've got the most beautiful girl in the world lying next to me. She runs her pale, bony fingers through my hair, mimicking my actions from before, and whispers, "Don't let the nightmares get to you."

I kiss her once more.

"I won't. Love you Cassandra."

"Love you too Pouyan."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blood. Blood is everywhere.
This is the end.
This won't be the last time.
This is death.
The audience...is all dead.


Ughh, those nightmares! Those hideous nightmares. Once again I've lost sleep because of them. I let her down. I let them get to me again. I turn to Cassandra to see if I've woken her, and I almost cry out.

My perfect girl, my wife, my Cassandra, her face is ashen, fingerprint marks around her neck. Fingerprints that match up to my hands. Oh no, dear God no. My hand reaches out to touch her bruised neck and all I feel is cold. She's dead. Cassandra is dead. And I did it. I killed her.

I'm stumbling out of bed now, reaching for the phone at the other end of the bright white cord that has somehow tangled itself in that beautiful cornsilk hair. I can barely dial anything, my fingers are shaking so bad. How could I let this happen? I should have slept on the couch, stayed away from her. But if I could strangle my own wife sleeping next to me, who's to say I couldn't have gotten up off the couch and done something worse to her?

I...I need 911. Oh Cassandra. Oh no....