Status: NEW IDEA. Just testing it out.

Just A Thief

Hit the ground hard, roll, keep running. Rapid fire rained down around her from the crossbows of the guards, but they were frustrated and not taking their time aiming, so she just keep running ahead, cradling in her arms the object she had just taken from one of the most well-guarded rooms in the whole palace. She didn’t even glance back as sue ran out of the gates, across the drawbridge that they didn’t dare draw up. The load she carried was far too precious to risk dropping five hundred feet into the moat of seawater that held within it a ferocious sea serpent.

She was long gone from the palace before the bundle in her arms stirred.

“Shh,” she cooed to the little blue eyed toddler, “don’t you worry, little prince. No one’s going to hurt you. When you get older, we’ll tell you who you are. You’ll thank us for getting you out of there before the revolution begins.”

The child made a sound between a giggle and a yawn and wriggled just a bit to get comfortable before letting his eyes flutter closed again. The woman sighed, looking up at the starry night sky, before saying softly, “Our prophet was sure of himself. Had you stayed there, little prince, your life would be over on the eve of your second birthday, three months from now.”

Just a few hours later, the sleeping child was handed into the arms of the woman who would be his caretaker, and the kidnapper was led into the home, where her own newborn infant lay in a crib.

“Thank you for heeding my warning, Duchess,” the prophet stepped in from another room, speaking quietly so as not to wake either child. “Thanks to you, the prince is sure to live well past his first birthday, perhaps long enough to retake the throne when he is old enough.”

“We’re all members of the court,” the kidnapper, just addressed as a duchess, pointed out. “When it comes time, we will all support his return. Court mages will test his blood and find that we speak true - trusted court mages, if they aren’t all killed. And perhaps, if all goes well, he and my daughter will be wed, if they decide to honor their betrothal when they find out who they really are.”

The woman glanced at her daughter, the betrothed.

“All in due time, Duchess.”

“Yes. At any rate, she and I must leave tonight. I’ve caused quite a fuss, and I may have been recognized. So farewell for now, and take care.”

“And the same to you.”


The disappearance of the infant prince would spread like wildfire despite the royal family’s attempts to allay it. And three months to the day after he was stolen away in the night, the king and queen would be eradicated in a brilliant display of blood and fire by a traitor, the captain of the guard. He would claim kingship, and as the group who had organized the kidnapping of the prince watched from afar, began to change the kingdom.

Fifteen years later, a boy named Isaiah is told of his royal heritage.

Two years after that, a girl finds herself not in her little apartment on the south side of New York, but in the courtyard of a grand castle and then from there, in the dungeons. She is rescued, hours later, by a not-so-common thief called Zane. And so Aria, the girl, joins her savior and his companions in the fight to bring back the rightful king.

And thus, a story begins.