Tin Pan Alley.

2/2

Days passed since Brendon had seen the intriguing boy. He was beginning to wonder if Ryan was going to keep his promise. The dancers came almost everyday to work on their routine though. Brendon still hadn’t learned all of their names, only Lilly, the most flirtatious one of all.

The girls seemed to be getting better, or at least they didn’t trip as much. Brendon was almost tired of playing his ‘masterpiece’ as the girls called it. It seemed like music wasn’t holding it’s luster for him like it once was.

“We’re going to be performing soon, Brendon.” Lilly mentioned one day after practice. “You’ll play for us, right?” She asked using puppy eyes.

“Oh yeah, sure.” Brendon rolled his eyes.

“Super!” Lilly shouted as she threw her arms around Brendon’s neck and kissed his cheek. “It’s Thursday night at the Dixon Place. 7 p.m., don‘t be late!”

“Wait, that soon?” But Lilly was already out the door.

Brendon sighed and began to organize his papers. “Boy, she’s got you wrapped around her finger.” Brendon’s head darted up at the sound of a familiar voice.

“Ryan!” Brendon coughed quickly to hide the high pitch in his voice. “Hey, I’d been wondering where you were.”

“I had a gig this weekend. I used my part of the duet for it.” Ryan pulled a wrinkled piece of paper from his pocket. “It kind of got ruined.”

“I could get you another copy.” Brendon offered and dashed to his music folders. “I have something else for you too.” He called over his shoulder.

“Really?” Ryan followed the boy curiously. Brendon pulled a crisp paper from the folder and handed it to Ryan. His eyes scanned it quickly until he realized what it was. “You wrote me a song?”

Brendon shrugged. “Yeah, I had some free time and you inspired me.”

I inspired you?” Ryan asked meekly.

“Just the way you play. I felt like you could use a challenge.” Brendon chewed on his lip waiting for Ryan to say something.

“Well how about I try it out then.” Ryan smiled and walked up front to get his guitar. Once Brendon settled on an old stool and Ryan perched on the piano chair he began the tune made for him.

Halfway through the song Brendon began to hum a few words. Ryan looked up hoping to encourage him to sing along. He ignored the request and continued to hum and get lost in the sound of Ryan strumming.

When the boy finished playing Brendon smiled. “Amazing.” Ryan blushed and mumbled a small thanks. “Would you like to come to the girl’s performance? It‘d be nice to have someone out in the audience there for me.” Brendon said timidly.

“Oh sure, that’d be…fun.” Ryan half smiled and nodded.
~

Between that Monday meeting and the Thursday performance, Ryan and Brendon spent time together for little practice sessions and even met for coffee at a diner on the corner of the alley. They were getting closer and Brendon could feel himself falling for Ryan. He knew it wasn’t ‘normal’ to love another man, but times were changing and he couldn’t help the way he felt.

Even Lilly had commented about how much time Ryan spent in the shop. Brendon brushed it off in fear of being found out. He could tell she fancied him, so she was probably just trying to find out which way he swung…right?

Brendon couldn’t dwell on hopeless dreams, he was going to cherish any time he got to spend with Ryan. The night of the performance the two boys had planned to go out to dinner together before heading to the theater. They laughed and drank wine until they each were stumbling out of the restaurant.

“Taxi!” Ryan waved an arm before slinging it over Brendon’s shoulders. A small yellow checked car pulled up to the curb and the two slid in as if they were one.

“Where ya two lovebirds headed?” The cabbie called to the semi-nestled pair in the back.

Brendon adverted his gaze to the window, in hopes of hiding the burning in his cheeks. “The Dixon Place.” He muttered, still not meeting the eyes of anyone else in the car.

It was a short trip to the theater, but it felt like a lifetime to Brendon who could feel the heat of Ryan’s leg pressed up against his own. “Here ya go boys. Enjoy your show.” After a short discussion the boys split the fair and headed to the back of the building.

“Brendon! I’m going to kill you!” Was the first thing the two boys heard once they were backstage. “Where were you?” Lilly came into view and, boy, was she mad.

“We went out to dinner. Am I late? I thought we still had thirty minutes…” He trailed off as he looked down at his watch.

“No, we have three minutes.” Lilly rolled her eyes. “I told you it was at seven. It doesn‘t matter now. Get ready.” And she was gone in a flash, off to help some girl find her dance shoes or to do the finishing touches on her makeup.

Brendon turned to face Ryan almost awkwardly. “Well, I guess I better go find a seat. I’ll be waiting for you.” Ryan smiled.

Brendon matched his smile. “I’ll be looking for you.”

“Places everyone!” someone from behind the scenes called out. Brendon found his way to the piano and pulled out his worn copy of the song he felt like he’d written long ago. He popped both knuckles two times before the girls were in their places. “Curtains up in 3...2...1..”

The girls started their dance off with a bang. Their skirts shook in time with the music Brendon created, and he only noticed one mistake from a girl who had two left feet. Brendon also noticed how into the performance Ryan was. It made him smile until they locked eyes, then he bashfully laughed and looked back down at his keys.

When Brendon looked back up Ryan’s eyes were still fixed on him. Their eyes stayed glued to each other until the performance ended. All of the girls took bows and Lilly ran over to Brendon and pulled him up from the seat to take his own bow. After the applause died down everyone headed backstage.

“That was just swell!” The girls exclaimed. “We must do that more often.” The girls all agreed. Brendon nodded when they looked to see his thoughts on the show. He noticed that Lilly was eyeing him and when she started to make her way over to him, his stomach turned.

“I noticed who you were staring at the whole time. Someone’s got a big ole’ crush.” Lilly whispered in a rough voice.

“I do not, Lilly.” Brendon crossed his arms like a child. Lilly gave him ‘the look’ and he cracked. “Well maybe I like him a little.” He rolled his eyes.

“Face it, Bren. You’re carrying a big gay torch for him.” Lilly was only half joking and he knew it. “You should tell him. He obviously likes you back.”

“How can you tell?” That earned Brendon another look from Lilly. “Well, what am I suppose to say? Ryan I think I’m in love with you?”

“That may work.” Lilly motioned for Brendon to look behind him. A stunned Ryan stood there, mouth slightly agape.

“Oh shit…Ryan, I didn’t mean…” Brendon ran a nervous had through his hair, removing a few sweat beads from his forehead. “I did mean it though.”

Ryan face began to soften and soon a smile formed on his lips. He took two steps towards Brendon and planted a small, tender kiss on his lips. “I’ve wanted to do that since I first met you.”

“I’m going to let you two have some privacy.” Lilly winked and walked over to celebrate with the other dancers.

Brendon smiled as he leaned in to lock lips with Ryan. “I’ve wanted to do that, and so much more, since I first met you.” He whispered into Ryan’s ear.

As the two boys stood there embraced in each others arms Brendon thought of so many possibilities. He finally found his inspiration in the best muse possible.