Status: Getting back into it

It's Not Easy Romancing a Stone

Chapter Ten

The competition went by in a flash. After walking out of the zamboni doors, the lights were binding but I was ready. There were at least two people that I knew of at least, that believed in me and wanted me to do my best. Just the fact that Tyler and Rian were rooting for me was enough for me to push myself to be that much better.
“No I can’t take one more step towards you….”

I stood there on the exact spot on the ice where I was supposed to end, with my ankles crossed and arms up fingers pointing to the sky with a smile so big my cheeks hurt. I had nailed it; every turn, every kick, my triple loop jump was flawless, the best I’ve ever done. The music faded and it was dead silent, but seconds later the audience erupted. The feeling I felt right then and there could be explained but nothing other than complete bliss.

Everyone was on their feet, clamping wildly. I pressed two fingers to my heart, brought them to my lips and kissed them, and pointed them to the ceiling. I owed that to her. She was with me the entire time and I could feel her presence making sure everything went perfectly. She would have loved to be here right now, I just know it. Tears stung my eyes and my eyes quickly filled with water. I waved at the crowd causing them to roar even louder as I made my way past the judges to exit the rink.

I stepped off the ice in a blur, had I really just done my routine? And was it was already over? I walked past the ball of nerves that was the other contestants and saw Hillary looking slightly green. I smiled at her and mouthed “Good luck” just for good measure. I turned to go back to the locker room and was suddenly smothered by a pair of familiar arms.

“V YOU DID SO GOOD. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH YOU DID AMAZING!” Rian was screeching in my ear but I didn’t care, I actually had a grin on my face
.
“Rian a little air here!” I laughed and tired to pry her off of me.

“YOU DID SO GOOD BABY GIRL IM SO PROUD OF YOU! Oh my god I’m a bit winded, I need to go to the gym…” Rian was holding her enviously- small waist and was a bit red in the face but smiling none the less.

“I didn’t even know what I was doing on the ice! I just pretended it was practice and it was so crazy! Next thing I know it’s over and everyone is cheering!” I was stuttering and was more than ready to spit out what had happened with Tyler before but before I had the chance; Nathan came out of nowhere and pulled me into a bone-crunching hug.

“Hey-Nathan-glad- you-could-come-” I grunted out the words and he laughed as he released me.

“Vanessa I had no idea you could skate like that! You’re amazing! Why didn’t you tell me?!” He pouted a bit and I blushed at the compliment.

“I didn’t think it was important that’s all. That was my best routine yet and I came up with it completely on my own.” Beaming with pride I gave him a high five and the three of us sat down on a small bench a little distance away from the rink. I bent over and started to unlace as Rian nudged me and I looked up at her.

“Hey look Hillary’s up.” I saw her hands ball up into fists, her knuckles turned white.
I exhaled out my nose and saw Nathan’s confused expression.

“That’s Hilary Anderson. She’s been the only person to beat me in close to all my competitions since I was five or so. She’s a bitch and none of us like her because she thinks she’s the best skater to ever, let me quote ‘To bless the world with her presence’.” Nathan bit back the urge to howl in laughter as I continued.

“I mean just because you’re pretty doesn’t mean you’re entitled to say those sorts of things...” I sighed as Rian put a reassuring arm around my shoulder. Hilary had always made me insecure with myself; or at least as far as I could remember. Her music started and we watched her as she skated around, I couldn’t watch. I pressed my face into my hands and waited until the music stopped to look up again. The crowd cheered alarmingly loud and my stomach dropped. But I wasn’t surprised. She always beat me, and I guess she always would. I felt sick and felt a ball rising in my throat, as she glided off the ice smiling viciously. The announcer came on and I waited for the scores to confirm my worst fears. But something else happened. It must have been a miracle.

Hilary had been disqualified. She was out of the competition. I couldn’t hear anything over my own thoughts whooping in joy. Her score would have been one point lower than mine; the announcer bellowed her would-be scores throughout the Garden, but I didn’t care.
“Why was she DQ’ed?!” I grabbed Rian and hugged her tightly, joy emitting out of my every pore.

“She bribed a judge! Vanessa you’re in the lead with one skater left! You could win this! But I want you to know that even if this girl beats you, I’m so, so, SO proud of you.” Rian was crying and so was I. At this moment in time, I was in paradise.

“Screw her, I don’t even care about all those years that she put me down and called me names. All those times that I was forced to go home with a second place ribbon. I don’t even care how pretty she is, I beat her! I’ll never feel inferior to her ever again.” My voice broke at the end and I smiled and I looked around with fresh hot tears in my eyes. I was even proud of me. Suddenly, I heard something coming down the tunnel and before I knew it someone was holding me from behind.

“You never should have, God Vanessa you were amazing out there.” Tyler whispered in a low, smooth voice in my ear. His breath caused chills to go down my spine and made my body get a flash of unexpected heat.

I blushed; thank God he couldn’t see my face because it had turned bright red.

“You enjoy the show then?” I looked forward to see Rian raising her eyebrows at me and I laughed and shrugged my shoulders
.
“I did.” I felt him smile into my neck from behind and squeezed my waist. I laughed and he picked me up and spun me around. I laughed even louder, he had found my weakness, I was extremely ticklish.

“TYLER! Put me down!” I heard him laugh and he eventually placed me down.

“Look, this girl’s routine is ending lets go see the scores!” I dragged Tyler to the edge of the glass and we stood next to each other and waited for the scores.

My heart dropped as they announced, she had beat me by a mere 3 points. My head dropped and a leaned on the glass taking in what this meant. I wasn’t going to nationals. I came in second once again. But then I remembered that I beat Hilary. Hilary would have been in third place.

Surprisingly, I was okay with it. I lifted up my head and Tyler looked upset for me but I just smiled.

“I’m okay.” I smiled softly.

“How long have I known you Vanessa? A few days? Somehow you never seize to amaze me.” He seemed to be talking to himself so I pretended not to hear but I had a smile that looked like Tyler’s when he scored a goal.

“Cheesin’” I said under my breath and laughed.

I joined the crowd in applauding the winner, whose name was Jenni. She deserved it and I was happy for her. I clapped until it died down and made my way back to Rian and Nathan. Before they could say anything I stopped them.

“Guys I’m alright, she deserved it more than I did. I’m okay with coming in second.” Rian wiped another tear away and Nathan held her from behind and she immediately relaxed at his touch.

I walked past Tyler, who was on the phone looking very into whatever conversation he was having, so I didn’t question him. I went to the ice and received my trophy and medal and as I was coming back, I watched as a horrifying scene played out in front of me.

Hilary was pressing herself up against Tyler, inching closer and closer to his lips. I stood there frozen to the spot as she twirled her straw colored hair and smack on her stupid gum. The flame of jealousy was back and it was bigger than ever. I didn’t know what to do or how to act, but apparently my mind did.

I walked right over to them, bumping her aside, I used one hand to grab Tyler’s jacket collar and in one swift motion, I pulled him toward me and crashed my lips to his.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Sorry for the hold up but here it is! Chapter ten is up! Hope you enjoy!
xx
PS Nathan Horton is supposed to single in this story! I have NOTHING against Tammy or anyone in the Horton family. Its just a story!