Precious

1/1

It's funny how just one little thing entering your life can change a whole lot. Like ice cream on a bad day. Or when the sun comes out after it rains and puts forth amazing energy into a rainbow. The girl had a past, that she dreaded ever since she could remember. She had never had one true friend. And she knew it would change after she walked into that pet store.

She was trying to be spontaneous, but that quickly unfolded into pure devotion. As soon as the employee had explained to her that the little puppy had been abused and removed from it's past home, she felt that she needed that dog. She felt it could understand her.

The puppy's eyes showed the girl its past, and she couldn't walk away from it then. She reminded the girl of the scars from her past. The way the dog whimpered, like the way the girl screamed when her mother had been drinking. She picked up the puppy from the little pen and held it close. She couldn't help but shed a tear towards the memories.

It was a pretty little penny, but it was a companion for the remainder of its life. She named her Precious.

Was it the way the dog looked at her, eyes pleading for love? Or was it the caramel colour of its coat shining in the sunshine? The girl didn't care.

That day, she took it home. She spent every dollar of her minimum-wage paycheck on that puppy. She promised to give Precious the life she never had.

They say that dogs are a man's best friend. That was untrue in this case. This puppy was that girl's best friend. She waited for her to come home from work everyday. She slept with her when she was alone every night. It's hard to find a companion like that nowadays.

The two aged together. Precious was with her when she went through heartbreak. When men played with her heart, the little dog would give her kisses nonstop to dry her tears. When the girl was going through financial trouble, Precious stayed beside her, and encouraged her that she would pull through. And when the girl fell ill, the dog wouldn't leave her side.

The girl got married. She had a beautiful baby boy, and with him came two puppies from Precious. The dog continued to stay by her side. A true companion.

This is the story of a girl that loved that dog more than she's ever loved anyone in the world.