Status: COMPLETED.

The Girl in Blue

first day

Aurora Jenkins took one step into Hogwarts, and she already liked it.

Coming from Durmstrang though, there really wasn't much to it. Hogwarts and Durmstrang were completely different, and she was thankful to be able to transfer to Hogwarts. She wasn't very fond of Dark aspect Durmstrang applied in every lesson.

"Miss Jenkins," The large man, Professor Slughorn, was standing in front of her. She had already met with all of the professors for her classes, just so she didn't feel like an outcast her first day. He stood beside Professor Dumbledore, the old man with the long beard, who taught Transfiguration and was head of the Gryffindor house.

"All of your stuff is already in your dormitory in the Slytherin common room." Dumbledore said, his blue eyes twinkling. "So now, you may join your fellow new classmates for dinner, which started about five minutes ago."

Aurora smiled sweetly at the two men and she said, "Thank you, professors."

She practically memorized the map that she was given by Headmaster Dippet, for if she had not, she would have gotten lost, immediately.

Aurora relied on her mental map but easily found the Great Hall, whose giant oak doors were open, and students were already inside, eating and laughing, after a hard days work.

Slughorn was right behind when she took a step in; nobody seemed to have noticed her.

"The Slytherin table is over there." He pointed to the table on the far left. She gave him a thankful look and took long strides to get to the table.

People started to notice her, especially those of the Slytherin table. She awkwardly looked around, hoping that someone would notice that she was a new girl, and would offer her to sit next to them, but nobody did.

She cast her eyes downward and sat down at an opening at the very edge of the table. The people next to her gave her a confused look. Some of the girls that she saw out of the corner of her eye, started to talk behind their hands into each others ears.

Aurora looked up at the boy who sat across from her. He was staring intently at her. When she looked his way, he quickly averted his attention away, but he glanced down at her necklace. The blue crystal necklace that her mother gave her when she was a little girl.

"Hi." She said, since he was the only one who was not talking about her.

The boy didn't say a word. He broke his gaze and fascinated himself with the food that was on his plate.

Aurora was quite confused. She didn't expect him to be so...unsocial. He looked like the type who was popular and cracked jokes all the time, making people snort into their pudding. But he strayed away from the people who sat next to him and focused on his food.

"Don't worry," whispered the girl next to her, who noticed Aurora's feeble attempt to make a new friend. "He's hard to break into."

Aurora lightly smiled and said, "I'm Aurora."

The blonde haired girl nodded. "Slughorn was talking about you in Potions. He knows your mother very well, apparently." Aurora blushed. Slughorn talked about her?

"I'm Isadora," She said. "I'm assuming you're a fifth year?"

Aurora nodded, finally relieved she was making a friend. It happened sooner than she thought it would, judging from what she had encountered earlier.

Aurora took a bite of potatoes that she piled onto her plate, subtly glancing at the boy in front of her; he was staring at her necklace again.

He seemed to have noticed that she noticed because he averted his attention again. Aurora opened her mouth to say something, but the boy slammed his hands down on the table and stood up, not glancing at any of the other students. He walked away.

"Is he--?" She started but another girl cut her off. "He's probably going to the library or something."

"He is the top student and all," A chestnut haired boy, this time, rolled his eyes. The group of friends sniggered but Aurora just glanced at Isadora.

"Did I do something to offend him or something?" She asked, glancing in his direction again, even though he was long gone.

Isadora shook her head. "Probably not. He probably realized that there is a Care of Magical Creatures exam tomorrow and he needed to study. Tom does that a lot."

Aurora glanced back in the direction that the boy left to. She couldn't seem to shake the feeling that maybe she knew him? The look he was giving her was definitely not welcoming one. It was like he was trying to figure her out.

And then the necklace. It wasn't as though it was an odd necklace...it was just a necklace.

Dinner was ending, so Aurora stood up with Isadora and the two girls made their way to the dungeons, where the Slytherin common room was at.

"So, tell me, why did you move to Hogwarts?" Isadora asked, trying to make conversation. "They say you moved from Durmstrang."

"Oh, theres already rumors about me?" Aurora mused. "Well, yes. I moved from Durmstrang, my fathers legacy really, even though he didn't like it all that much either. My mother went to Hogwarts, so she and my dad decided to let me transfer, after all these years of me complaining about Durmstrang."

"Pureblood." Isadora said, stopping in front of a wall.

"What?" Aurora asked, confused. The walls in front of her suddenly opened and a passage was revealed.

Isadora smirked. "Its how to get in the common room."

Aurora felt stupid. Of course she knew that, Slughorn told her all about it. She fell silent and followed Isadora through the tunnel. When she stepped out, she was surprised at the looks of the Slytherin common room. It was full of green and silver. There was a fireplace in the corner and tables along the sides.

Aurora followed all the girls who piled in up the girls staircase. She managed to find her dormitory, and when she entered, she saw four girls inside.

"Oh, you are the one who's taking that bed." said a red head, pointing to where her trunk sat, beside her four-poster bed.

"Yeah. I'm Aurora," She said, walking over to her bed and plopping down. "Aurora Jenkins."

"So we heard." another girl rolled her eyes. "Slughorn wouldn't shut up about you." She rearranged her voice to an octave deeper. "Aurora is such a sweet girl...I had her mother you know...she would be brilliant at Potions..."

"Dumbledore thought fondly of you too," noted another one of the girls. "But he wasn't as blatantly obvious about it like Slughorn was."

"Well, sorry." Aurora was getting annoyed. "I didn't tell him to say those things. He just did."

The girls ignored her and went back to talking about some boy that they had seen earlier or something. Aurora wanted to ignore them, but she was too caught up in the fact that she had failed to become friends with her roommate. She wished Isadora was at least there, but she saw her stop halfway up the stairs.

"Did you see Tom getting disgusted--"

"--she just walked in and sat down--"

"Okay, guys. Lets go to sleep." She heard a new voice. Aurora almost lifted her head up but she didn't want them to know she was awake.

It was starting to get darker, so the girls finally fell asleep. Aurora figured their names out just by listening to their conversation.

The red haired girl was Beatrice Folly, and she seemed to be the nicer one of that group. She didn't laugh when they talked about 'Tom' getting disgusted with Aurora at dinner. The rude brunette girl was named Georgia Hayden, and she kept making fun of Aurora. The other girl who spoke to her was Madelyn Ahmed, she was nicer than Aurora expected. After a while of Aurora jokes, she got bored of it, which Aurora was thankful of. The quiet girl who only spoke two words was named Annabelle Hawkins. Aurora liked her the most because she, like Beatrice, didn't make fun of Aurora at all.

Finally, the girls were asleep, except for Aurora. She wanted to explore the common room at least. Headmaster Dippet specifically told her that if she was caught sneaking out after curfew then she would be in huge trouble. But nobody told her that sneaking out of her dormitory was out of bounds...

She quietly crept out of her room and took very slow steps down the stairs. When she entered the common room, she just stopped in front of the stairs and just stared. It wasn't all that bad looking. When her mother described the Slytherin common room, she imagined it to be worse. But her mother was always a horrible storyteller.

Aurora sat down on the couch and just stared, her wand was gripped in her hand in case something happened, even though she was perfectly safe in the Slytherin common room. But Aurora had heard some bad things about Slytherin's. Her mother always told her about how Slytherin's were more likely to get into the Dark Arts than anyone else. It scared her a little, because it reminded her of Durmstrang. But everyone that she saw a looked innocent at least. Her roommates were mean but they weren't evil.

Aurora suddenly heard a creak and she jumped up and spun around, her wand ready and out of instinct she exclaimed, "Expelliarmus!"

"Easy," said a male voice, raising his hands up. Aurora glanced at his wand, which was on the ground, ten feet away from him.

"I'm not going to hurt you." He sounded bored.

"Like I knew that." Aurora snapped. She lowered her wand and let the boy retrieve his wand. When he walked back towards her, she raised her wand again, but he tucked it away in his robes.

"What are you doing here?" He asked. The moonlight from the window cast a light that reflected off his face. It was the boy from dinner. "You shouldn't be out this late."

"I wasn't leaving..." She defended herself. "I just wanted to see the common room. I didn't have a chance to fully appreciate it's glory."

She noticed the boy raised an eyebrow at her. Aurora rolled her eyes, "I was kidding. I couldn't sleep."

"I'm Aurora Jenkins," She said, after a silence ensued. The boy didn't look at all interested in pursuing a conversation with her, in fact, he looked bored.

"I know." He sneered, looking away and glancing around the common room.

"If another person says that they heard from Slughorn or Dumbledore or another teacher, I will stun them." Aurora raised her wand, being serious.

The boy smirked.

He turned around, determined to go back to his dormitory. Aurora watched him (rudely) ignore her. She was about to open her mouth and say something and ask for his name but once he placed a foot on the steps, he turned around said,

"I never would have been able to recognize you after all these years if it wasn't for your necklace. Your biological mother's necklace..."

Aurora's jaw hit the floor.

It couldn't be...him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I guess you can say that I was a little bit ecstatic with what I got from the first chapter :)

Special thanks to whilethefirewasout, complicated dreaming, skyerocket. :)