Status: COMPLETED.

The Girl in Blue

defense against the dark arts

There was only one person who knew about the fact that Aurora was not born Aurora Jenkins, but born Aurora Rose. Only one person who she would suspect be at Hogwarts and would know about the adoption, the orphanage, everything.

That boy was Tom Riddle.

It wasn't as though she was ashamed of that prospect; she'd just rather tell people her parents were the Jenkins'. It suddenly became weirder too when she realized her magical abilities. Her biological parents and her adoptive parents were witches and wizards.

Aurora awoke the next morning, hoping that the events from the night before was just a dream. But then she realized that it was most definitely not a dream.

How could she not have realized that he was Tom Riddle? No wonder she recognized him from somewhere. He was her only childhood friend. The only person who understood her and stuck by her when she needed him the most, especially during such a hard time after her parents tragic death.

Aurora silently got dressed while her roommates were still fast asleep. Annabelle had woken up also but she didn't say a single word to Aurora. They both just got their things, in silence, and walked down to the common room.

"Hi." Isadora said, seeing Aurora. It took her a minute to answer because Tom Riddle had caught her eye. He was swiftly walking towards the entrance to the passageway, ignoring all that was around him.

"Aurora?" Isadora asked, furrowing her eyebrows to see what had caught her attention. But Aurora acted as though nothing had happened and she smiled, "Hi, Isadora."

"Let's get some breakfast, yeah?" The two girls climbed through the passageway and made their way to the Great Hall for breakfast, and Aurora's first day of school. She was quite thankful that she started on a Friday and not a Monday, or else she would have been overwhelmed.

They sat down together at the Slytherin table and both piled their plates with delicious food. Aurora was too nervous last night to eat something worthy, so she had been starving.

"We have History of Magic first with the Hufflepuff's," Isadora commented, looking at the schedule that Slughorn had passed out. "And then Defense Against the Dark Arts with the Gryffindor's."

"Wonderful," Aurora said, through a mouth full of waffles. She saw the dispersed crowd of Slytherin's grimacing at the thought of having classes with the other houses. Not being a native to Hogwarts herself, Aurora didn't mind. She thought that they all looked nice enough. Aurora was always a believer of 'innocent until proven guilty.'

Once breakfast was over, Isadora seemed to have ditched Aurora to be with her friends as they walked to History of Magic. Isadora was a nice person, but she probably just cared more for her friends than Aurora.

Aurora was looking at her schedule as she made her way towards the classroom that belonged to Professor Binns, the History of Magic teacher, when she felt someone slam into her shoulder and made her drop all of her stuff.

"Hey, watch it!" The guy looked back and scoffed. "Bollocks, new girl. Didn't Durmstrang teach you to watch where you go?" He sneered. His friends roared into laughter and they high five'd before they entered the classroom.

Aurora sighed and dropped to her knees, picking up her stuff.

Someone kneeled beside her and picked up her Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them and she looked up, about to tell them off but suddenly, her throat went dry.

Tom Riddle stuffed the book into her bag and picked up whatever his hands picked up. Once everything was inside, he simply stood up and left her without even taking the 'thank you' she was going to give him.

The bell rang, snapping Aurora out of her shock and she ran into the classroom, seeing that it was completely full except for the table in the very back, in which Annabelle sat, by herself.

Binns didn't even notice that Aurora had entered late, so she sauntered quietly to the open seat and opened her history book, following along what Binns was droning on about.

As hard as she tried to pay attention, Aurora couldn't stop but stare at the back of Riddle's head, who sat at the very front of the room. He was there. The boy she had cried for days about because her only friend was gone. He was her best friend back at the orphanage. She could always rely on him for help or assistance on anything that she needed back then. But his las words to her broke her heart. How could a seven year old live with that?

History of magic ended before she could even say 'Wendelin the Weird' and Aurora stood up, staring at her schedule again but Annabelle tugged her sleeve and muttered, "Come on."

Aurora shrugged and followed the girl as they walked through the castle to their Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, which was taught by a Professor Longhorn.

Aurora thought to sit next to Annabelle again, but she deadpanned to the table occupied by Beatrice. She immediately turned around and tried looking for a table but everything was taken, unless she wanted to be paired with a Gryffindor, which, essentially, would make her even more of an outcast in her own Slytherin house.

Tom, who noticed her unable to find a seat, moved his bag to the ground of the table he sat in, revealing a seat open for her. She gladly took it, even though it was the table at the very front of the room.

Professor Longhorn burst through the doors as Aurora sat down, dropping her bag on the ground and taking out her wand, seeing as Riddle had done the same thing.

"Good day, class." He chirped, brightly. He was a happy man. Longhorn bounded through the classroom, glancing at the students, but once he reached the front and turned around, he did a double take upon noticing Aurora.

"Oh," He said, raising an eyebrow. "You're Miss Jenkins,"

Aurora kept her head down, trying to avoid hearing the sniggering from her classmates. She slowly nodded her head and glanced at Tom, who had no expression on his face. He just stared at Longhorn, interested in what he had to say.

"Come up here, Jenkins." Longhorn pointed his wand to the spot beside him. Aurora's heart started to beat really fast and she suddenly got nervous.

Slowly, she hopped out of her seat and took what felt like a year to get to the spot. Longhorn grinned brightly and said, "You're from Durmstrang."

She nodded again.

"Well, class," He glanced at the Slytherin's and Gryffindor's. "How about we quiz Miss Jenkins here, see if Durmstrang taught you well enough."

"Um," Aurora said, unable to form words. She never got that treatment at Durmstrang. Longhorn seemed like the optimistic sort, the one who's always happy but she could already tell that he would be the active type.

Longhorn whipped out his wand, holding it ready.

"Petrificus totalus!" He exclaimed.

"Stupefy!" She screamed, instantly. The two spells rebounded off each other and Longhorn's spell hit the window behind him and Aurora's spell hit the lantern behind her.

When Aurora glanced around her class, she almost broke into a smile, seeing the approval on their faces.

Longhorn gave her the same impressed look and said, "Okay, how about--" He almost said the spell but Aurora immediately screamed, "Protego!"

He set his wand down and said, "Okay, so they taught you well. Tell me, Aurora, what is the cure you give to a human who has been bitten by a vampire?"

Aurora froze. She didn't know the answer to that. "Um..."

Longhorn smirked. She felt instantly embarrassed. She had just gotten the little bit of approval from her classmates, but then suddenly, it was snatched from her.

"What about a werewolf?"

Aurora didn't say anything. She still didn't know the answer.

"You may sit, Aurora." Longhorn smiled. "You did well."

She felt like she walked the walk of shame as she took the three steps to her seat. But to look on the positive side, she did get the spells. At least she did that much.

Riddle's face, when she sat down, didn't change. Aurora wanted to say something but she was too scared. He was already intimidating and she felt as though if she said anything, something would go wrong.

Aurora, again, didn't pay attention during the lesson Longhorn was giving about vampires. It turned out that nobody knew the answer to the questions that he had given her. But Aurora still felt dumb.

When the class was left with ten minutes, Longhorn finished the lesson and told everyone to do whatever they wanted during the last ten minutes. Aurora inwardly groaned. Everyone turned to their partners and talked; Aurora didn't have anyone except for Tom.

She turned to him, as he started to put his things away quietly and she said, "Thank you."

"What for?" He asked, focused on his things.

"For this morning." She shrugged.

Tom only glanced at her, his dark brown eyes gazed straight into hers. "You're welcome."

Aurora had never felt as awkward as she had felt that moment. The events of the night before were obviously on both of their minds but neither of them wanted to say anything. She still felt inferior to him.

"Aurora," He said, taking the step. "You may never mention the orphanage to anyone that you speak to."

Shock ran through her for the third time that day. "Wh--what?"

"Nobody can know, Aurora." Tom gritted his teeth, his eyes flashing when they looked at her. "Even if you don't mind talking about being there, do not mention to anyone that we were..." He trailed off, hoping that she would catch on.

"That we were what?" She asked, feeling her anger rising. "Friends?" She hissed.

Anger flashed through Tom's eyes and he said, "We were never friends, Aurora."

Shock had left her system, then it was just hurt. How could he have said that? That was the most false thing she had ever heard because they were friends. Everybody said so.

The bell had rung and before Aurora could retaliate, Tom picked his bag up and shot her a very stern look before stalking off with the rest of their classmates, off to Care of Magical Creatures.

"Ready?" Annabelle asked, avoiding Aurora's eye.

"Yeah." She said, picking her bag up and walking with her.

But Aurora couldn't focus after that. All throughout the day, all she could think about what Tom Riddle had said, "We were never friends..."

Of course they were friends, and Aurora was going to show him. She was going to prove Tom Riddle wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi, so comments would be REALLY nice. I'm having a shit day today :(

Thank you to whilethefirewasout and skyerocket. :)