Swimming in Your Subconscious

Chapter Three

Months and months had passed by since that dramatic phone call between Brendon and Spencer. Things had certainly changed too, all for the better.

It was March 22nd and Panic’s third album had just been released. Vices & Virtues had been positively reviewed by critics and fans alike. It was a great feeling that Brendon and Spencer both felt highly accomplished with.

Sitting in his living room, Brendon was thinking about all the amazing things that had happened today. To make things even better, he had just got off the phone with his girlfriend, Sarah. Just thinking about her made him feel giddy inside. She had told him over and over about how proud she was of him and how he deserved everything great.

He really enjoyed her and everything, but sometimes he had his doubts on her. But that came with every relationship, so Brendon usually dropped his worries. Besides, relationships were a give and take thing. You get what you give.

Letting the inner battle in his mind go, Brendon continued flipping the channels on his wide screen TV. As usual, there was nothing worth watching on TV. He decided to flip through the movie channels. As he was making his way, one title caught his eyes. It was Alice in Wonderland, the new version in fact. Clicking and stopping on the channel for a moment, a weird wave of nostalgia fell over him. It wasn’t even technically the same movie but it held a strange place in his heart.

He flipped the channel. He had already missed an hour of it. What would be the point of watching it if he had already missed some important parts? Getting up, he made his way into the kitchen. He walked over to the sink and grabbed a clean glass. Just as he was about to pour a drink from the refrigerator, he saw the mailman go by. Deciding that he should go ahead and fetch the mail, he set his cup down and walked outside.

Brendon squinted his eyes as soon as the first rays of direct sunlight hit him. He quickly walked over to the mailbox and opened it. He was surprised to see a bundle of letters tied together in a ribbon, but then it registered in his mind that it was probably a family member or close one congratulating him on the new album. Not even bothering to read who it was from, he grabbed it and closed his mailbox. He walked back into his house and plopped down on the couch.

It wasn’t until he read who the letter was from when he felt his world crashing around him.

It was from Ryan.