Status: Something new. Trying a new writing style. Hope It works out the way I want too!

Feel The Sun On Your Face, and the Sand In Your Toes

Jaydrian

“Jaydrian!!” I hesitantly raise my head from my favorite book The Grapes of Wrath. I see my lengthy best friend Addie McBeth speed walking across the little courtyard in the middle of the pool area I sigh and look at my book. Page 140. I mumble the number to myself to keep it in my memory.
“What’s up Addie?” Addie plops down on a beach chair and starts to ruffle through her beach bag. I sit there waiting for the “big news” that Addie probably had.
Addie pulls out a bottle of sunscreen. “Um, Addie, are you going to tell me now?” I turn to give Addie my full slightly-undivided attention.

“Oh yeah! Right! Ok, so did hear about the new guy that moved into town?”

Of course. I thought. I should have known that the big news was about a boy. “Um, no Addie. I haven’t. Would you care to elaborate?” Addie rolls her eyes. You and your fancy language. Can’t you just speak English?”

I smile. “Sure Addie, because I wasn’t speaking English before. I was speaking some foreign language that’s been dead for over 1,000 years.”

Addie waves her hand. “Anyways, his name is River Hemington. Hot right? I haven’t seen him yet but with a name like that, woo boy, he’s gotta be smokin’.”

I roll my eyes. When it comes to boys, I didn’t really pay attention to the outer appearance. I looked at how smart they were, and if they had any goals, things like that. But if they happened to be appealing it was a win for me. But I always looked for someone who was smarter than me. But in Malibu Heights, that seemed like an impossible trait to find.

“You know there’s a welcoming party at my house tonight for his family right?”

I sigh knowing where this was going. “Well, I do now.”

Addie pushes her sunglasses on top of her head. Her piercing hazel eyes were so serious it seemed out of character. “Jay, I need you to go to my party tonight.”

I puff my bangs out of my face. “You know I don’t do parties Addie. Even though you ARE my best friend, I don’t see why this would be an exception.” Addie had a guilty look on her face. “Addison Ranae McBeth, what did you do??”

She starts to laugh nervously. “Well, my parents know how fabulous you are at playing the piano and they wanted you to play at the party tonight, and it’s too late to get a professional, not that you aren’t a professional, but I thought it would be even more special if you played, and maybe, just maybe, you could meet the Hemington family.”

She winces as if I’m going to hit her. Believe me, I wanted too.
I close my eyes and rub my temples. What’s the harm in one party? I mean, you’re most likely to going to be playing the piano throughout the duration of the night so you don’t have to worry about something chaotic happening. “Addie.” Addie looks at me. “Just this once.” Addie jumps up and almost strangles me.

“Oh thank you Jaydrian!!! You won’t regret it one bit!!!” She lets go.

“Yeah, that’s what you said about going swimming in the lake 3 years ago.”

She flushes. “I said I was sorry!! How I was I supposed to know that my bathing suit was too big for you?!”

I giggle. “I’m just messing Addie. But seriously, let’s go to the beach instead being here. There are too many little kids.”

And with that, we gather our things, put our sunglasses on and walk to the beach down the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok....sooo....thoughts? Comments? Anything I can change?? Let me know!! :D
Thanks guys!! :}