Status: 27th July 2014: REWORKING THIS STORY - CHANGED CHAPTERS HAVE DIFFERENT TITLES.

The Dates.

Fifteen.

I breezed through the rest of the morning in a dazed blur. Jake wouldn't stop talking about Angelica, except for when Emma was nearby, and kept pelting me with ridiculous questions. I think he was in shock or something, if he was babbling on like this because his nerves were shot from being with Angelica Hall for just five minutes. We were waiting for the bell to ring, sat in class together, and his words were mostly going in one ear, out the other.

"Do you have some sort of woman-attracting shampoo or what? Maybe the girls really do dig your crazy-ass hair?"

I rolled my eyes but said nothing. I guess I was beginning the slow process of recovery after having a girl that close to me again. Like, I haven't let any female close enough to me since Gemma (except my mum and Emma but they don't count) and I think my brain was only just realising that. Man, I still can't believe she did that after everything I'd told her. Jake obviously hadn't clued in to the fact that I was getting miserable thinking about Gemma again, he just kept on going with his nonsensical ramblings.

"I still can't believe she came to the interview. Like, don't get all mad or anything but I thought it was some sort of joke. Thought maybe bloody Derek the Dick put her up to it, you know?"

Derek was Angelica's ex-boyfriend. They first went out when we were all fresh-faced, innocent twelve year olds and have been on and off ever since. God, I hope he doesn't find out about this or he'll kick my arse into next week. I briefly recalled Angelica, so close that I could count her eyelashes if I wanted to, saying she was bored of everyone else. Maybe they had split up again recently and she was still in her pissed off mode?

"He wouldn't put her up to it." I chipped in, speaking for the first time since break.

Jake scoffed. "Sure he wouldn't. He's just been on your back since forever and a day, mate."

Why was it so inconceivable to Jake that someone who liked like Angelica could be interested in someone who looked like me? I had to admit, my pride took a hit at that.

"Jesus, Jake. Surely I'm not that unappealing?"

Jake backtracked, not thinking the conversation would take this turn. I didn't feel too great snapping at him but after thinking about Gemma and all, I wasn't in the mood to put up with his, however unintentional, insults.

"God, no. No! I didn't mean that - just, we run in different social circles, right? We haven't spoken to Angelica since the first day of school. She's all like, move out the way bitches, to most people nowadays."

The bell finally rang and I stood up abruptly, throwing my bag over my shoulder. Jake was scurrying after me, holding his hat to his head with one hand, waving the other one in the air. His bag swung maniacally from his arm, hitting a kid as I stormed through the corridor. I turned the corner and saw Emma waiting for us, tried to escape but she spotted me and waved me over. Jake was closing in.

"Hey, what's up? Your face is like thunder." Emma said.

"Yeah, ask your boyfriend." I muttered, shooting Jake a dark look as he skidded to a stop in front of us. He pulled his hat off, swiped it over the thin sheen of sweat on his face and yanked it back on again. Emma looked between us, disgusted at Jake and bewildered at me.

"Jake? What's going on here?" she asked, dodging his hug. "What did you do?"

He stared at her, shaking his head in disbelief. "Why do you think it's my fault? I'm your boyfriend, you're meant to be on my side!"

Em narrowed her eyes and took a step towards him. I held my laugh in when he backed away, flinching. He knocked into a boy, who shoved him away with full force, sending him flying back into Emma. She grabbed his jacket, pinning him in the spot. He squirmed under her glowering face; he looked freaking scared and I didn't blame him.

"Why do I think it's your fault? Because it's always your fault, Jake. And sides? Sides? Jake, I'm not choosing sides. Grow up a little."

Jake's featured twisted from terrified to mutinous in about a second. He leant forward, breathing in her face. Great, so we were back to this again? I don't know why I thought it would be different now that they were together.

"Why don't you just let me deal with this on my own, okay?" he was struggling to keep his cool, even I could see that and I barely had a decent view of his face now. He was all hair and hat. It was only a matter of time before he was spluttering and spitting like a disgruntled cat.

I was impressed that Em still had a cast-iron grip on him but then again, she always could hold her own in an argument.

"Oh, so now you want me gone? Just a moment ago, you were all for wanting me on your side."

She had a point. Jake knew she had him then so he resorted to what he did best: talking crap.

"Whatever, Em. You were like this when we started the interviews. You just can't keep your nose out of anything."

"Oh, really" she laughed mockingly but I heard a slight tremble in her voice. God, she was actually going to cry if Jake didn't shut up now.

He didn't. "Yeah, you always do it. Just face the fact that there are some things we're not gonna involve you in. You don't have to be center of the bloody universe all the time, you know?"

My time to step in, if I had the chance. Jake didn't give that to me, he was on a roll.

"And while we're at it, can I just say something?" he said, not pausing to let her answer. "You're so damn bossy. Like, what's up with that?"

Her grip on him was weakening; her hands were slack against his shoulders but he hadn't noticed. She just stared up at him, eyes shining and lip quivering. Jesus, she used to be so on the ball with these sorts of things but right now, she was acting like it was all climbing on top of her. I found her weakness and it was Jake.

"So, you know what? Don't call me tonight, just leave me alone." he said, moving away from her. Emma's arms dropped heavily to her sides and she gaped at hims hopelessly, trying to find the right words to say. For once, they seemed to have not only escaped from her but were playing a disasterous game of hide and seek, too.

Jake pointed at me and I jumped back, alarmed that I was in the firing line now.

"Meet me at the usual spot in five minutes. We need to get a crack on with these interviews." he ordered, our own little fall-out seemingly forgotten.

I watched him stride off, hearing a sniffle beside me. Em was crying and she hastily wiped her eyes with a sleeve clumsily when she saw me looking. She tried for a smile but it didn't come easily.

"You're still doing those things?" she asked, nose wrinkled in disapproval but her heart wasn't in it.

"Yeah." I muttered. "Em, are you - "

"Hey, it's lunch. I'm gonna go and - go and eat and stuff. I'll see you later, okay?" she said, hurrying off into the crowd before I could even give her a hug or something. Em rarely cried.

I felt responsible. I dragged her into my argument with Jake and now he was fuming and probably wouldn't talk to her again. I had to go sort it out, I couldn't let this ruin their relationship (it hasn't even been a week yet, right?). My only problem was, I doubted I could get a word in with Jake.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love the word nonsensical but how the hell can you work that into a normal, everyday conversation?