The Senetor's Wife

.

“I love you.”
“I love you too. I’ll be waiting.”
“No. No, you won’t. We can’t do this.” And she gave him a kiss on his cheek, then walked away. She’d done in in hopes of him finding another girl- She wanted him happy, above anything else. Even if she couldn’t be his girl, as long as he was happy, and in love, it was alright. Besides- he deserved the best. She was far from that.

That was four years ago. She was finally going to come back home- back to America. As much as she loved Jordan, she could not stay there her entire life- she had things to do, jobs to get, a woman to become. She’d been single since she left- no-one could compare to her first true love. Despite her hardest efforts to forget him, the memory of his voice and the flashes of his face where all that could send her into a slumber at night. The haunting taste of his lips where what she awoke to each morning- before recalling he was across the world.
And as she set foot on that Chigao sidewalk, her first step in America for four years, all she could think of was that she was glad it was a big country, and even though she’d be back in that city in five hours, after her next flight, San Fransisco was a large city, and the chances of running into him were so slim- besides, he’d likely have moved to Sacramento, to get closer to government athoritys, menataly preparing himself to be among them as a sentor.

She browsed the windy city’s down-town for an hour, window shopping, and stopping once to try on a dress that didn’t fit quite right. As a designer herself, she knew that most women weren’t luck enough to have her slim waist contrasted with wide hips and a large bust, and therefore when sewing for the general public, it was best to sew for a more average body. Unfortuantly, averages are very rarly acturate, and dresses like that rarely fit anyone correctly.

Upon reaching her home, the most unique city in America, she met her best friend at the airport. Having been gone for four years, there was no chance her old apartment was availible still- and it would bring back memeories of him, anyway. She would live with her friend and her husband for the next few weeks, while she got a job and an apartment of her own.

It had been two weeks- sulking around the city, riding the bus to work, walking back. She’d fallen into the rutine of stopping at Golden Gate park after getting a cup of tea before heading home. As she walked a little known path, so many things came back to haunt her- this path had housed so much time between the two. She could point out each bench that they’d sat on, each tree they’d climbed, each bush they’d made out behind. And as she stopped in her footsteps, to overcome to go on, she made the mistake of sobbing out loud.

He’d always been sensetive- would give a person walking down the street a hug if they looked like they needed it. She’d always’s warned him it’d bring him down one day.
Today was that day.

She could barely make out the footsteps coming up from behind, but she whiped around like a tornado when a hand took her cup of tea and pulled her into a hug. Yelling, outraged, she shoved him away and snatched her mug back before either of them realized who the other was. Upon wiping her eyes and getting a clear glance, her first words were questioning.
“You cut your hair?” Her voice was soft, hurt. She’d loved that hair.
He nodded. “It reminded me of you. I couldn’t deal with it without you to braid it for me, anyways.”
And once again, he gently took her tea, and pulled her into a hug.
“I’ve missed you so much, my dear. Thank god your back.”
“Don’t think like that. You should be over me. I told you to go find a girlfriend. Someone political. Someone prestigeous. Someone who your friends and parents like.”
“It doent matter who likes her if I don’t. Theres only one girl I like. And I’ve got her tea, anyway. She won’t leave till she gets it back.”
She looked up at him with a grimce, but there was a twinkle in her eye. He knew she was back to stay.
“Come on, love. Where are you staying? Let’s go get your stuff and go home. You know, as much as it killed me to be there every day without you, I never could leave that apartment. Anyways, my parents and friends will be glad your back. They called me a drunken mess for two years after you left. Since I’ve been sober, they say I’m a workaholic.”
She laughed, softely, somberly. “You probably are. You were before, anyways.”
“Hey,” he protested, “being a senator’s hard work!”
Looking up at him, she gaped. “You’ve gone and done it already? Sheesh. You’re barely twenty four.”
“There was nothing else. Alchol, and work. Be glad I picked work. Besides, I’m kinda getting rich quick. You can open your shop whenever you want- I mean, botuique. I noticed you’re already pretty famous online.”
“Yea…” she nodded, “I got some awesome fabrics over there- I’ve got conections with some textile companies over there by now, so I can get good deals, even living here. And I brought some with me, anyways! I’ll show you when we get home. Come on, her house is over here.”